Join Early Retirement Today

copy of photo ID with resume
Old 04-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

copy of photo ID with resume

I have been applying for administrative assistant / clerical jobs on Craigslist and Indeed.

I received a call from the recruiter this morning telling me that the client company a pharmaceutical company is requiring a copy of my photo ID along with the resume.

I have worked in jobs that require a security clearance, and nobody did this.

What is the point of this?

From my point of view, I am concerned about identity theft primarily but it has crossed my mind that the photo ID can be used for discriminatory purposes, i.e. race and approximate age of the individual.

Thoughts?

broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't do it, until you meet them in person and have a job offer in hand. Sounds like identity theft to me, too.

- - - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It might even be illegal depending on where you live.

Can job ads ask for your photo? - The San Diego Union-Tribune
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you are right to be careful about ID theft, especially when responding to an ad on CraigsList or other online listing.
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
What is the point of this?
That's exactly what you should be asking them.

I wouldn't comply.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

In all likelihood, they want somebody who appears businesslike and professional. They don't want to spend time having to meet candidates in-person only to find that their appearance doesn't meet those business-dress/appearance expectations.

Whether or not it's legal, I don't know.
l8_apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ask them why they need it and make your decision based on the answer. Perhaps a pharmaceutical company is required to do some type of background check for all employees in order to avoid hiring people who have been convicted of drug related crimes (I'm speculating here, no inside knowledge), and they are trying to streamline that process by collecting the info in advance so they could do the check just before making the offer.

It's not very likely that the company or the recruiter is deliberately planning to engage in identity theft or discrimination. Probably someone just didn't think this through and if you ask about the reason behind it and then point out the concerns that it raised for you, they may realize that it's a problematic policy that should be changed.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #8

i remember when going before the promotion board in the army, they needed a full length picture of the candidate, but this was almost 38 years ago so times/laws have changed. im sure if you do not send the photo u will never get called. and applying for a job on craigslist? id be more worried that id get kidnapped when i showed up for the interview , more than the identity theft part
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #9

In Washington state, this is discriminatory. Washington state also has a Fair Labor Standards Act that goes beyond the federal one. The national version written in 1938 prohibits age discrimination in hiring. A driver's license would give them your age.

If the employer wants to have id on hand to begin the background check process, say you will provide it at the interview, but not before. And tell the recruiter to check with the employer about federal laws regarding age, gender, and race discrimination (just my $.02). This isn't about identity theft, it is about discriminating against candidates based on some criteria that isn't fair.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #10

I wouldn't do it either although I realize that when you are not the one needing a job, then it's easy to say that....
This DOES have the scent of profiling and is probably outside of standard practice, if not illegal, in most places. That said, as someone else pointed out, you take the risk of simply not getting called back if you question their process. You'll have to decide yourself whether you can afford to take that chance or whether you even WANT to work for a company like that.
euro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #11

Typically this kind of information is collected later in the hiring process after interviews have taken place.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

No way. Let them stalk you on indeed like everyone else
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:39 PM   #13

I called up Ajulia and talked to the woman who called.

She was very understanding and said that apparently in Asian and European countries including a photograph with the resume is standard practice.
My guess is that this is an Indian-owned pharmaceutical company. There is a couple in the area.

I told her that these companies need to be told that it is illegal in this country to ask for such a photo.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I called up Ajilon Staffing and talked to the woman who called.
She was very understanding and said that apparently in Asian and European countries including a photograph with the resume is standard practice.
I told her that these companies need to be told that it is illegal in this country to ask for such a photo.
As you pointed out, illegal to even ASK for quite a list of things. IMHO if this recruiter was unaware of that, they are not legitimate.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
and don't ask about religion or race either. I think age is OK because of employee benefits plans but for no other reason.

I know we used to do it as a memory jogger back when it was legal in the 70s.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
As you pointed out, illegal to even ASK for quite a list of things. IMHO if this recruiter was unaware of that, they are not legitimate.
The underling I talked to is aware, but it isn't her "call" whether to continue to ask for this photo or not.

It is her manager's job to make the company aware of the laws in this country.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #17

Quote:
I called up Ajulia and talked to the woman who called.

My guess is that this is an Indian-owned pharmaceutical company. There is a couple in the area.

Very common in Europe to enclose a photo as part of your CV. At least it used to be.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Very common in Europe to enclose a photo as part of your CV. At least it used to be.
I am not doubting that.

It is that they are doing business in this country, and they need to follow the laws here. I am very surprised that their HR department is not up-to-date on this.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I think the OP responded appropriately. I would have concerns about working for a company which is either unaware of, or wants to circumvent, the laws in your home jurisdiction.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
But a photo is different than photo ID (driver's license?). I don't agree with either one being required to apply, but the ID has a LOT more info! After an offer, then things are different.