Cordless Electric Drill Recommendation?

A friend who does a lot of carpentry recommended the Dewalt 18V cordless drill to me over ten years ago. I got one and still use it constantly. Love the thing!

Plenty of torque, long lasting battery, quick and easy to switch to a fresh battery when needed (the spare is always in the charger). Completely reliable, and working just like new today after more than ten years.

I always try to consult Consumer Reports before buying any tool, vehicle, or appliance. They have never steered me wrong.

I've had several different brands and models of cordless drills over the years. I was fairly happy with my Sears/Craftsman models, and better satisfied with my last Black & Decker model (I don't remember the model, but it was a 12 volt model.) the B&D was reaching he end of it's long, very well used life, and I replaced it a couple of years ago with a top of the line Dewalt 18 volt XRP hammer drill that cost about $280. It was a bundle of cash, but I use it a lot! Plus Dewalt has a whole line of cordless XRP tools that use the same batteries, and I also own a couple of those.

For the OP, my recommendation would be a reasonably priced B&D cordless.

What does the 3/8", 1/2", etc. refer to and is it significant?

Amethyst

Amethyst
Those are the diameter of the chuck (the slot that you put the drill bit in). Normal bits used by homeowners are typically 1/4 or 3/8, so a chuck 3/8" or larger would probably be fine for you. Usually, also, the larger the chuck is, the more powerful the drill motor is.

Amethyst

That is the largest shaft diameter of the drill bit that can be "chucked" (held) in the drill. So if you were to use drill bits that a larger than 3/8" diameter, you would need a 1/2" chuck size. Most homeowners that are doing routine jobs rarely need to drill holes larger than 3/8" diameter.

Drills that are chucked for up to 1/2" are noticeably heavier than a 3/8" size too.

That is the largest shaft diameter of the drill bit that can be "chucked" (held) in the drill. So if you were to use drill bits that a larger than 3/8" diameter, you would need a 1/2" chuck size. Most homeowners that are doing routine jobs rarely need to drill holes larger than 3/8" diameter.
And just to pile on: A drill with a 3/8" chuck is not limited to making holes up to 3/8". You'll see many large twist drill bits and spade bits, etc have a "necked down" end which allows them to fit into a 3/8" drill chuck even though the rest of the shaft of the bit is larger than that.

Size does matter :)

The trend seems to be more punch in a smaller tool. But for something like drilling concrete, I like using a bulkier drill. For work like fastening a cabinet the job is a lot easier holding a small drill sideways than using a larger drill. That's where a nice 12v comes in handy.

This is a great package but unfortunately went up in price and is a few dollars over what you are looking for. it was $99 during the Holidays. I have found the impact driver to be inseparable from the drill when doing HI projects. I have had good luck with Ryobi tools for home use. Here is the link for the package.
Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver and Impact Driver Kit (2-Tool)-P882 - The Home Depot
I have this set, too, and really like the impact driver. I even use it for light mechanical work.

I'm not much of a fan of cordless/battery powered tools although I do have a couple that I use for lighter and quick work. The only thing I'd add is as with any tools, buy quality tools if you can afford them.

Personally, I like Milwaukee and Dewalt power tools but there are other good ones out there.

Last edited:
I don't think the average homeowner should put too many $'s into any individual tool like a drill. The quality of the battery technology has been changing pretty rapidly.

My current 20v B&D is light and powerful, changes quickly and holds the charge for a long time when in storage (which is most of the time). Much better then the older lower voltage drills I've had.

Neither am I, but sometimes the electrical outlet is too far away from the work! Hundreds of feet, in some cases.

A.

I'm not much of a fan of cordless/battery powered tools

I still have my old corded drill and use it when I've wanted a lot of power. I'm a big fan of cordless.

My most recent cordless drill had no problem drilling into a hardwood tree trunk to make 1 inch diameter holes. Why would I want to run a 50 ft extension cord to the work?

Does anyone know if you can replace the older nicad batteries with newer lithium ion batteries? I have an older 12V Makita 1/2" drill that works good but is probably close to 20 years old and the batteries don't hold a charge and need to be replaced. It's been on the shelf collecting dust for the last few years, I just use the corded drill when I need one. It's been a long time since I looked at the cost of replacement batteries but from what I recall it might be cheaper just to buy a new drill.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom