Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Cordless Electric Lawnmowers?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cordless Electric Lawnmowers?

I got really mad at my 13 year old mower today and gave it to DD (she has a good friend who is a small engine mechanic). Hopefully, she will get a few years out of it.

So, now I need a new one. DM had a cordless electric in the early 90's (and I ended up with it when it became my job to deal with her yard). That one had a marine lead/acid battery and would do about 1/2 a yard. Are the new ones better? My yard is less that 3000 sq/ft./

Any comments, suggestions or flames?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Would a new mower be better than one for the early 90's? Definitely! Cordless tools have come a long way. I recently bought this WORX WG788 36 volt mower and really love it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BJG8SA - batter life is great, it's as powerful as a gas mower, I'd highly recommend it.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

If you don't have objections to using a gas mower, go with gas. It would be cheaper and perform better.
rgarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #4

I just ordered a cordless electric trimmer -- I can't use a mower, since my soil is so soft it gets torn up. After reading a bunch of Amazon reviews, I decided on a Black and Decker LST1018 for $120. It's main drawback, I gather from reviews, is that it only runs for 10-20 minutes before it needs recharging.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another option is an old fashioned push reel mower. I have a small yard and it works great and you get a bit of exercise. No gas or oil - quiet - minimal maintenance. Only thing I have noticed is that while it cuts the grass well, it doesn't do as well on certain weeds. Guess I'll just need to get rid of those pesky weeds.

About $125 new as I recall.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:26 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I just ordered a cordless electric trimmer -- I can't use a mower, since my soil is so soft it gets torn up. After reading a bunch of Amazon reviews, I decided on a Black and Decker LST1018 for $120. It's main drawback, I gather from reviews, is that it only runs for 10-20 minutes before it needs recharging.
Hmmm......I will have to look into that. I hate dealing with cords every time I edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Another option is an old fashioned push reel mower. I have a small yard and it works great and you get a bit of exercise. No gas or oil - quiet - minimal maintenance. Only thing I have noticed is that while it cuts the grass well, it doesn't do as well on certain weeds. Guess I'll just need to get rid of those pesky weeds.

About $125 new as I recall.
Good idea. If/when I move to a patio home one day, that may be a good option. Take me back to my childhood when I used my grandmother's old mower.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Got a Ryobi cordless trimmer about a year ago. Happy with it. The trimmer came with a battery charger and Lithium Ion battery that works with plenty of their tools on that battery line. On it, one battery does only last for about 20 mins. The trick is to get two batteries -- one charging while the other in use.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

how long do you need to charge it to use it.

I read a review that indicated it could take up to 12-15 hours to charge the battery.

That sounds like a big PITA!

Unless you are a Conscientious Objector to the internal combustion engine.... you need one of these! Take a look.. about a minute into it.

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I read a review that indicated it could take up to 12-15 hours to charge the battery.
The B&D trimmer I mentioned charges up in less than an hour.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The Ryobi charges in about an hour.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I used it not long ago. My shortcoming was only one battery so I'd work for 20 mins..then had to recharge for an hour..again..and again. Having two batteries would have made the job so much easier...
Old 07-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

I had a Black & Decker MM575 corded electric lawn mower for a few years. It worked great--the cord was not a big inconvenience, and I loved how the mower was quieter than a gas model and did not need gas or spark plug changes--but then the electric motor burned out after three years despite gentle use and I could not repair it. Later I saw reviews on Amazon for that model by people who also complained their motors burned out after just a few years.

So if you get an electric lawnmower, it might be a good idea to research the typical longevity of its motor beforehand.
colorado_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
I just ordered a cordless electric trimmer -- ... a Black and Decker LST1018 for $120.
It finally arrived yesterday. I put it together (4 screws), charged the battery (20 minutes -- maybe it already had some charge), cut some grass (for 10 minutes). Seems to work fine. It's nice not to have to bump on the ground to feed more line out, since the bumping feature on my last trimmer just didn't work at all well.