Correlation between avatar change & Mayan end of the world.

I never get tired of looking at mine so I'll keep it. It is a part of the goal after all. And we just recently decided to move ER up a little, as in, we're moving down this coming summer. DW will be RE and I'll be working part-time for awhile. It will get me a little closer to 59 1/2 and help compensate for the accelerated schedule. But I'll be working part-time in the land of the Mayans so not a bad trade-off. Anyway, I'll keep my avatar, for now, and maybe consider changing once the view is full-time.

Last edited:
If I knew how to put a Santa hat on mine I would. :confused:

Here's one, made by our Janet H. Just right click on it and choose to save it on your computer. Then upload as an avatar. And Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• profilepic3.jpg
    profilepic3.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
Janet and W2R,

Thanks, I appreciate it. Merry Christmas to you both! (It's gotten so bad with political correctness today I hesitate to wish anyone a Merry Christmas which I think sucks.)

I was reading through the thread and when someone asked for a larger image I got caught up in that. The original I have is just 88X88 pixels but I was able to enlarge it after fooling around (guessing how to do it). But then I saw your post so I'll save this one! :dance:

Last edited:
I came to the same conclusion about changing mine to Mr. Hankey.

That Mr. Hankey thing is pretty disgusting. I know it's supposed to be humor from 8 year olds but despite all the obnoxious SP stuff the MH thing is the worst IMO.

Now Terrance and Phillip, that's funny! Never could get enough of those 2 guys! :dance:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]P: "Oh, hello Ugly Bob."
UB: "Hello Terrance, hello Phillip."
T: "My God, you're looking hideously ugly today Ugly Bob."
UB: "How come you guys say stuff like that?"
T: "Because you're God Damned ugly Bob."
UB: "I know, but..."
P: "Ugly Bob, your face looks like somebody tried to put out a forest fire with a screwdriver."
UB: "I can't help how I look. Besides, it's not what's on the outside that matters, it's what's on the inside."
T: "No it isn't."
T: "Want to see what's on the inside of me?"
T: !FART!
[/FONT][/FONT]

:rolleyes: :hide:

I changed mine back to a traditional stethoscope. Forget about speculae :)

Last edited:

Obgyn, I agree, I don't think a speculum would make the best avatar!

Speaking of stethoscopes, I have a little rant. It seems that whenever a physician is interviewed by the media or is photographed in a brochure, he or she is wearing a stethoscope, often a white coat too. That applies even if the physician is a researcher or administrator who never uses them. In my field (NICU) infection control requires that each patient have their own stethoscope. White coats (and ties) are proven vehicles for transmitting infection. Why do media persist with this outdated symbolism? Is the public so naive that people don't think you can be a "real doctor" unless you wear a stethoscope?

I don't know. Maybe because stethoscopes are the symbols that the general public most likely associate with their healthcare providers, which in turn is being reinforced by media stereotyping?
Meadbh said:
Why do media persist with this outdated symbolism? Is the public so naive that people don't think you can be a "real doctor" unless you wear a stethoscope?

Obgyn, I agree, I don't think a speculum would make the best avatar!

Speaking of stethoscopes, I have a little rant. It seems that whenever a physician is interviewed by the media or is photographed in a brochure, he or she is wearing a stethoscope, often a white coat too. That applies even if the physician is a researcher or administrator who never uses them. In my field (NICU) infection control requires that each patient have their own stethoscope. White coats (and ties) are proven vehicles for transmitting infection. Why do media persist with this outdated symbolism? Is the public so naive that people don't think you can be a "real doctor" unless you wear a stethoscope?

I have to say I haven't really noticed the stethoscope but every MD I have ever seen in an office situation is wearing a white lab coat with her/his name embroidered on it and a white shirt and for the men a tie. Blue coats for the interns. I think it is a hierarchy thing, maybe differentiating among the staff? My MD always listens with the stethoscope that was around her neck when she came into the exam room.

And I respect MDs more than any other profession but have never encountered one who doesn't portray healthy levels of confidence, self esteem, etc. so it is hard for me to believe the docs speaking to the media about someone's condition like Hillary or random celebs or others are wearing what some news director told them to. If they really all have stethoscopes around their necks I have to think it was their own choice.

Well, in the UK they have banned white coats....

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Doctor's white coat to be banned

....but there may have been some politics...

Is it time the NHS brought back white coats for doctors, whatever the bossy managers say? – Telegraph Blogs

....and then there was a backlash....

White coats make a comeback to hospital wards to make doctors visible again | Mail Online

As for doctors deciding what to wear when speaking with the media, you would be surprised how much control the communications people have over these details. As obgyn said, it's public perception which they are reinforcing.

Sorry for thread hijack. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I would be happy to change my avatar picture if a majority of people here feel that a stethoscope is too "stereotypical". No offense meant to anyone by using a medical instrument as my avatar. I was thinking this morning about using an icon or symbol representing happiness. Any (reasonable) suggestion would be most welcome.

Has this thread wandered off a bit? Not that it matters, just amusing...

I would be happy to change my avatar picture if a majority of people here feel that a stethoscope is too "stereotypical". No offense meant to anyone by using a medical instrument as my avatar. I was thinking this morning about using an icon or symbol representing happiness. Any (reasonable) suggestion would be most welcome.

Obgyn, your avatar is fine with me. It tells me something about you: you strongly identify with your profession. And that's fine!

I just changed mine... if anyone can guess how this photo was created, you get a free toaster. :)
Hint: It is a photo that I thought of making in a creative moment and had taken by a friend during the summer.

Ooops...forgot to post the photo so it is clearer.

Attachments

• WineGobletSunsetSep2012.jpg
    WineGobletSunsetSep2012.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom