Join Early Retirement Today

cost for internet and phone.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:39 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

cost for internet and phone.

I am just talking basic landline phone and about 1.5 mbps of internet speed. I have been paying about 70. a month. started out cheaper but the fees and prices keep creeping up. I was wondering what other people are paying for high speed and if there are any bargains out there. thanks

frank

frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2016, 04:45 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Landline and 60mbps internet 73.98/mo. Charter.

upset264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

100 mbps internet from Time Warner Cable is $65 (including taxes) and the "landline" is via Ooma Premier for another $15, so $80 combined. If I just had the basic Ooma service it would be about $10 less, but the extra features of the Premier service makes it worthwhile to me.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:24 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$36 for 30Mbps/5Mbps and about $4/month for basic Ooma VOIP landline. For the basic service they only charge the required taxes and access fees. This is enough for my needs. For Ooma one needs to get there converter box (effectively an ATA).
Not technically a landline, but acts mostly like one.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:01 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

bingybear: who is your carrier?
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:22 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Mediacom - $59.95/mo for 50mbps service. No landline
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
bingybear: who is your carrier?
wow (wide open west). Ooma for phone... this should work with any internet provider providing they bandwidth is high enough and the internet provider does not actively block ATA's or needed ports.
$
Old 12-21-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

$

$15/mo for 4/1 Internet, and $0 for Obihai/GV. Also have cellphone for $9/mo for occasional use.
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:19 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

$39/mo for 5mbps internet (dsl), no land line, $10/mo cell
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
$15/mo for 4/1 Internet, and $0 for Obihai/GV. Also have cellphone for $9/mo for occasional use.
how are you connecting into the phone network without FCC/fed tax?

google voice.. I assume
Old 12-21-2016, 07:33 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a triple-play package from Optimum which includes cable TV along with internet and landline phone. The internet (60 mbps) and phone cost $65 although the phone is slightly discounted because I am in the bundled package.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

$39.95 monthly for 50mbps, no landline. Carrier was Time Warner, now Charter after recent acquisition.

Cell phones are $30 (me) for 1000 talk/text and $45 (DH) for unlimited talk/text, plus 5GB data. I should probably look around for a better deal for my basic phone cell plan, since we have no plans to become a dual Smart phone household anytime soon. Between DH's Smart phone and my Kindle Fire, I/we are as connected as we care to be.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #13

Landline - less than $5/month with magic jack. (And then we forward our landline to google voice - since 99.9999% of calls are sales/robo calls - but we can dial out anytime.)

Internet - it's bundled with our cable tv... our total bill is just under $100/month. We have turbo speed internet.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
how are you connecting into the phone network without FCC/fed tax?

google voice.. I assume
Yes, there are no taxes for the phone. There may be a few tax $ for internet, but I also have cable tv (for around $100), and although it's not a "bundle" price, there are added "combined taxes and fees", so I'm not sure how much internet taxes alone would cost. I've looked into cutting the cord, but want to keep DW happy.

I've been very happy with GV, though I find it confusing at times to keep track of where messages and phone history are found. Some things are in Hangouts, some in voice.google.com, and some messages are left on the cordless phone. I forward my GV calls to my Android, which makes messages and SMS a bit more perplexing. And I have it set so voice mails are transcribed and emailed to me, but I wish it was all a bit more coherent and consistent.

But I lovelovelove the phone spam filtering.
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

We transferred our land line to a cell phone years ago. It is currently on a $0/month plan on RingPlus.net. I have it on a basic feature phone that needs to be charged once every 3 weeks or so. The phone basically stays in our house, but we can take it with us if needed. We also do not get many calls on the home phone anymore. Mostly for family.

Internet is with Midcontinent. $42.95/month for 50mb, no bandwidth cap.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For me:

$39.93/month - Comcast (basic internet),
$60/month - Landline (AT&T), unlimited nationwide calling (yeah, I know, old fashioned).
$0/month - OTA TV
Old 12-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #17

We have AT&T Uverse...inclusive of taxes, $54.42 per month (Internet 24; 18-24Mbps/1.5-3Mbps). No landline but use a Bluetooth phone that pairs with our Republic Wireless cell phone (about $15/month).
Old 12-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #18

$98 per month for landline with long distance and 30 Mbps upload and download for me.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:32 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I am just talking basic landline phone and about 1.5 mbps of internet speed. I have been paying about 70. a month. started out cheaper but the fees and prices keep creeping up. I was wondering what other people are paying for high speed and if there are any bargains out there. thanks

frank
After years of procrastinating, I dropped my landline when I moved into my Dream House in 2015. I haven't missed it a bit. I still have my cell phone but no landline. If you are trying to cut costs for your internet and landline, my biggest suggestion would be to drop the landline like a hot potato and rely just on your cell phone instead. Believe me, you will not miss your landline for an instant. I would not even pay $1/month for a landline, now that I have experienced life without it.

As for internet, Cox Cable charges $77.99 for mid level internet service here which is what I chose. This service provides up to 50 Mbps download and up to 5 Mbps upload. Their lowest level of internet is 15 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload, better than what you specified, but even that is $62.99/month. Everybody here uses Cox Cable because of lack of competition.

Frank and I each pay $77.99/month for mid level internet, separately. In a pinch I suppose we could split the cost with one of us piggybacking off the other's wireless network, since we live so close, but we aren't doing that right now (except occasionally/rarely, when troubleshooting).

--- Admiral David Farragut during the battle of Mobile Bay, paraphrased
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:37 AM   #20

25 MB internet, 39.99 via Comcast. Magic jack for landline, soon to be Google Voice just to save the number.

Phones, $70 + $20 + $20 = $110+tax from Verizon, less my 15% veterans discount of $10.50.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote