Cost of a restaurant meal

It's the same story here. The county health department posts the results of restaurant inspections online so you can see not only the numerical number of violations, but what those violations are. Sometimes they're pretty picky, others the place should be closed.

I double checked all our local favorites and didn't see any scores below an A for the last year. I have an operating theory that if the place is really busy (and most places we frequent seem to stay busy), the food doesn't last long enough to get dirty. :D

I think the most we've ever spent was ~$150 for two including drinks and that was for our anniversary. For that reason I no longer order any drink stronger than tea or coffee. Once in a blue moon DW will have a glass of wine at a restaurant.

I took DS and DDIL out on DS' 30th birthday; a friend of his in Des Moines had said that Lidia's near us was a nice place with moderate prices. I'd been there on business years ago and liked it; checked the on-line menus (great innovation!) and decided it was a good choice. My son was a bit stunned when he saw the prices and I told him not to worry about it and they should order what they wanted. It was a wonderful meal and DS and DDIL don't drink alcohol, so I had a second glass of wine. Still came to only $125 with the tip. It is good to treat non-drinkers to a nice restaurant!

I'm careful not to run up a huge bar tab but I love a glass of wine with a good meal, so I indulge in at least one.

As a general rule when I go out to eat I like to order tasty foods I would never make at home.

Otherwise, if I must eat out, I'll get a burger.

As a general rule when I go out to eat I like to order tasty foods I would never make at home.

This.

We don't really go out for dinner very often. Maybe once a month. Usually for a special occasion. DW has some food allergies that make it difficult.

When we do go out it's higher end. For food we don't fix ourselves.

I'd rather go out once a month and spend $150 and really enjoy it.

On the rare occasion we "just go out" (like the kitchen is getting worked on or some other reason nothing is going to get cooked tonight), our "go to" place is Texas Roadhouse. Pretty darn tasty steaks for a reasonable price. If you show up before six, there usually isn't a wait. Well, mid-week ;-)

Vacations are another matter. You basically have to go out to eat, so that's fun and part of the whole traveling experience.

I double checked all our local favorites and didn't see any scores below an A for the last year.
Interesting. I checked and our county food services office does not publish their restaurant health inspection results.

They told me I'd have to come to the county building, ask about a specific restaurant, and they would 'show me the file.' I'd like to see results from all the restaurants we frequent, but I guess that's not going to happen. 😷

A wine and food pairing with Chappellet Vineyard at The Silverado CC in Napa Valley $378.

The restaurant inspection is South Florida are published, and a data base is also available. Some of the inspections are unbelievable..

I think the highest was over $300 for four of us. We go out for lunch far more often because of the value.

We have been spending more on the food we buy, often citing that hey, we'd spend $40 or $50 for a meal out, why not buy some filets and cook them at home with some great side dishes? Besides, with the time in retirement I have found I enjoy cooking much more. As a result, the meals out have started to lose some of the appeal given that we've done some really good meals at home. That said, there is one restaurant in town that I have no problem dropping well over $100 in for two. We've been entertained in NY restaurants 20-30 times and this place does seafood presentations that top anything we've had. Had old friends in Friday we had not seen who wanted to take us out, so we went there. He'd spent career entertaining clients all over and was blown away by this place, entrees low $30's. I don't like to spend money for the sake of spending, but this is an example of something worth it. Now, for most of the places in town that have entrees in the 20's, I don't think they're worth it.

What's the most you've ever paid for a restaurant meal?

Honeymoon in Sydney, Australia at a place called Quay we had lunch that came to nearly $600US for two of us (included drinks, prix fixe five-course menu). Had a steak dinner on that trip that was upwards of $400US as well. Quay, at the time, was rated one of the top 30 restaurants in the world and that year was rated the number one restaurant in Australasia. Naturally we just had to try it, right? We couldn't get in for dinner, even three months out when I looked, so we did lunch and enjoyed it... quite the memorable experience in a memorable setting under the Sydney Harbor Bridge and across from the Opera House.

Anyway, I have no problem spending on experiences like that. I'd rather spend on that meal than on another iWhatever... Was the meal worth $600? The food was as unique as I've ever had, and I would go there again as it was an amazing setting and great fun, so yes, I would say it was.

Last edited:
You know, I didn't answer the original question.

I just looked it up in Mint: $420

We were on vacation and got the Chef's Tasting prix fixe meal, along with the wine and the desserts and coffee. The chef happily adjusted everything for my DW's celiac and did a wonderful job of it.

Yes, it was over the top in price, but it was probably the best meal we every had and we loved it. We still talk about how good it was.

Fontainebleau SCARPETTA : Menus

Slightly off topic, but nevertheless--one of the best meals we had was on our 10th anniversary we drop DS off and MIL's house and took off for Napa Valley for the day (we lived in the Bay Area then. We did a mud bath and a couples' massage, then wine tasting. After too much wine tasting, we walked across a parking lot, and decided we needed to sober up and eat something. We went into a small Italianish restaurant, where we got a table in the bar area, as nothing was available in the dining room, and it was early. The best service ever. I mean ever. It turns out they took reservations a year in advance for the restaurant part of the place, they were that good. I do not remember the name of the restaurant in the fog of time and wine. I remember that it wasn't outrageously expensive, but it was outrageously good. Obviously we had water with our meal....I just looked it up, it might have been Tra Vigne, not sure...

Went to a steak house on the waterfront in Seattle.

My friend paid, and he also had a coupon for ~100. Bill after coupon was $250. That was for 4 people.

I, being vegan, just had a baked potato and water. Even though I wasn't paying, I was still pissed.

The more I eat at restaurants the more disappointed I get. Too much oil, sugar and salt and no pride in what's being cooked.

My memory is not that good sometimes, but I can't remember ever paying more than approximately $30.00 for a meal. If I am feeling like splurging, I will have a beer also. I think that DH has paid mid 30's for a meal. I really don't think that I could enjoy any meal that I knew was going to cost $100 or more. I know that I would keep thinking about the cost and it would ruin it for me. I can't even imagine how good food from a $300 meal would taste. Sometimes, I wish that I would not consider the cost of everything all of the time.

A wine and food pairing with Chappellet Vineyard at The Silverado CC in Napa Valley $378.

The Silverado Country Club holds a special place for me.

I went to work for HP in the mid 90's, and the first business trip I had to take was to Santa Rosa. It was the first time I'd been to California.

Our travel department couldn't find anything in, or close to, Santa Rosa because of some festival going on. The closest they could find was at the Silverado for something like $300 a night.

I remember going up to my (very new, I had just started) boss and telling him the only place is going to cost him $300 a night, and he grimaced but said if that's the only place, book it. We had already committed to our customer we'd make the trip.

The room was VERY nice. I was still in my late 20's at the time and had never stayed anywhere that nice.

I'll always remember the Silverado. One of these days, I want to get back there and spend a couple nights, just for old times sake.

Based on our Quicken records, the most DW and I ever paid for a meal for just the two of us was $220. It was a local, high scale French restaurant and we had something like seven courses and desert.

We thought we'd exceed that when we went with friends to a dinner theater several weeks ago, as the ticket price was $90 each for the meal and play, not including drinks and tips, but our friends surprised us and treated us.

The most we ever paid for the family was a college graduation dinner, but that was for around 15 people and still came out under $500 including tip.

DW and I go on brunch/dinner dates a couple of times a month, and that averages $15-$35 for each of us. On our last vacation the fanciest place we ate (a Brazilian steak house) was "only" $130 total.

$100.00 or so at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, on an anniversary outing.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

This thread has been just amazing to me. The most expensive meal I've ever had was probably around $60-70 and that was a rare occasion. Simple tastes, and DW is the same way.

I am also struck (happily) by my great good fortune in enjoying beer far more than wine. In fact, it has been probably 40 years since I've ordered a bottle of wine at a restaurant.

The most I ever spent on a dinner with wine for two was $75 in 1972 when I made about $5.00 per hour.

I am really enjoying this thread. Although I don't have cost information, I think Auerbach's in Leipzig, Germany is the most expensive restaurant DH and I have been to in the past five years. DH wanted to see the keller that Goethe set a scene from Faust in (apologies to those who like DH are familiar with Faust as I am not and am no doubt misdescribing this), which today is still operating. Half of the establishment is traditional dining, but part of it is fine dining, where we ate, with a menu like this: http://www.auerbachs-keller-leipzig...n/english_menu_of_the_historic_wine_rooms.pdf

The euro was very strong that year so we paid about 30% more but the meals were exquisite. Since we were paying in vacation money it wasn't too painful.

I am feeling a lot better about my food spending after reading this thread! I don't believe me and the DW have ever spent more than 100 bucks for the both of us at any restaurant. With my kids and grandkids its a different story. Papi, me, always picks up the tab so on average I spend 80 to 120 dollars depending on the place. We did reach a significant milestone this Christmas. Our Christmas dinner for 6 adults and two children at a steak house was a hair over $200. That also included dessert but it just seems like a lot of money for one meal!

You guys are so funny. For those of you that are amazed/shocked/shaken-your-LBYM's-finger at the money spent for some of the dinners, these were special or one time dinners, at least for me. Sometimes, the higher end restaurants, have fantastic meals.......and sometimes not.
Forget the wine, a rare dinner drink at high end restaurants is milk. I'm always pissed that I can't get regular old whole milk with my dinner. You can't even get it at McDonald's. Haven't been there in a while but last time they only carried 2% milk. LOL :LOL:
Our favorite local restaurant has lots of comfort food like meatloaf, chicken and biscuits, homemade pot pies and most meals are under $10

Some of my favorite places are dives. One special place is in a bad area, but they have the best chicken gizzards in the world.

The one security gaurd was my best buddy, I'd tell her I was going and she'd ask if I'd pick her some up. I'd never accept any money from her, a 75 yo woman still working. Made my last OMY more enjoyable, she was a sweet lady.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom