Join Early Retirement Today

Cost of Airline Tickets
Old 06-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cost of Airline Tickets

Don't know how closely anyone else is following these prices, but from my observation prices have gone crazy.

The ticket we purchased to go to Hawaii earlier this year, has gone from $189 each to $370 going on the same dates in 2009. Even Southwest no longer seems cheap.

Taking into account the trend for the airlines to bump up their prices daily and slap on additional fuel surcharges, we are trying to lock in prices for our projected travel through the end of 2008.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Don't know how closely anyone else is following these prices, but from my observation prices have gone crazy.

The ticket we purchased to go to Hawaii earlier this year, has gone from $189 each to $370 going on the same dates in 2009. Even Southwest no longer seems cheap.

Taking into account the trend for the airlines to bump up their prices daily and slap on additional fuel surcharges, we are trying to lock in prices for our projected travel through the end of 2008.
Ya 786 to fly to Conn this winter 3 months ago. Now its a bit over 1000 for 2 people. So saved a bit by booking in advance. Damn I might not be able to afford to fly anymore
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep - east coast to Vegas used to be $200 R/T a few months ago (and for years prior to now). Now it is $400 R/T.

East coast int'l airport to Phnom Penh, Cambodia - $1100-1200 in Nov 2007 and Mar-Apr 2008. $1700 now. Similar increases to other places in Asia.

Seems like gas prices are finally being priced into airline tickets.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
The ticket we purchased to go to Hawaii earlier this year, has gone from $189 each to $370 going on the same dates in 2009. .
I find it amazing you found listing to Hawaii as low as $189. DW and I paid about $340 each R/T from Seattle 1 month after 9/11.

My preference is to drive rather than fly. Better control. However, it is very difficult to drive to Hawaii from the main-land.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
I find it amazing you found listing to Hawaii as low as $189. DW and I paid about $340 each R/T from Seattle 1 month after 9/11.

My preference is to drive rather than fly. Better control. However, it is very difficult to drive to Hawaii from the main-land.
Flying from So. Cal to Hawaii has always been relatively cheap. However, besides the rising fuel costs, there is added factor of the demise of Aloha Airlines, once that competition disappeared so did any semblance of a cheap fare. By the looks we may actually start using our points to purchase tickets in lieu of upgrading on long hauls.

Have to agree the drive from the mainland to Hawaii could be a bit of a messy one.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

I have been watching prices almost daily thru Airfare Watchdog and have gotten tickets that were slightly higher than last year . I just flew Tampa to Scranton,Pa. for under $200 and I have tickets for Tampa to Buffalo ,NY for $ 220 round trip . They usually run around $220 to $250 but since I'm retired I can fly whenever it is cheaper .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I usually spend Xmas in Europe and from what I can see, so far there has been just a small increase in the price of the transatlantic ticket on Swiss (I am going to lock in that fare ASAP), but the price of the domestic ticket to get from my hometown to NYC has doubled compared to last year. Add the cost of checking in 2 pieces of luggage and I will be paying almost $300 more than last year. Actually it is going to cost me almost as much to fly to NYC as it is going to cost me to fly to Europe from NYC... Gosh next year we are supposed to go twice to Europe and once to CA for a wedding. Better start saving now!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

The deals are still there if:
1. You monitor the prices daily
2. You purchase quickly
3. You avoid prime travel dates

As long as an airline stays in business, there will
always be empty seats. Somewhere an airline bean counter
knows he/she will never be able to sell *yesterday's*
empty seats so better to get something for them today.

Following the "Yesterday Is Gone Forever" theory,
I think airlines, hotels, and rental cars should
start reverse auctions where the price drops daily - book
early, you pay premium prices - wait too long, and what
you want may not be available.

Mike Honeycutt
mahoneycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Every trick in the book:

Travels With Jane
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost of living