Join Early Retirement Today

Cost... Package of Cigarettes
Old 04-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Cost... Package of Cigarettes

If you don't smoke, you may not know how much you are saving. DW and I gave it up 25+ years ago, when the price of a carton went up to almost $7.
We were stunned when we heard about the current cost. This site gives the average cost/pack in the US compared to other countries. (check out Canada and Australia).
Cigarette Prices - from the Tobacco Atlas
We remember when the cigarette machines required a quarter, and you got 2 or 3 cents back inside the cellophane pack... and before that, the wooden machines that worked like a toothpick dispenser. Put a penny in and roll the handle for one cigarette.

OMG... remember when... "Hey buddy, got a cigarette?"

My "habit" was about 1- 1/2 packs a day. Let's see, at the current price that would be....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Older... In my younger days I worked at a "stop-n-rob" store (LOL), and I had a lady customer... still recall... she drove a green Mach1 Mustang. Every morning on her way to work she got 2 packs of smokes. Back then they were 2 for a buck. When I saw her drive in, I put her packs on the side counter, she came flying in dropped off her buck and didn't have to wait in line. IIRC they were Cool Longs (100mm).

THEN they went to 55 cents a pack... ruined the whole equation. Shrug.
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you are looking for economic reasons not to smoke, here is one more. A recent survey of realtors in Ontario suggests that indoor smoking reduces property values by ~$100K. When buying my house, I rejected any such house outright.

Indoor smoking leads to sharp reduction in house values: survey | CTV Kitchener News
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
gone traveling

In 2012 Australia introduced one of the toughest anti-tobacco measures in the world by introducing plain paper packaging - ie. all tobacco irrespective of brand can only come in plain olive paper but with disgusting images of the effects of smoking

Australia's new plain packaging 'makes cigarettes taste worse' - Telegraph
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't normally notice the prices, but just last week I saw they were selling for over $12 a pack here. Crazy.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #6

As a life long pack a day smoker i finally gave it up when the price here in Montreal surpassed $10 a pack.It wasnt easy to give up but at $4000 per year could no longer afford the product.
its been 4 years now and i dont miss cigarettes, i do enjoy the money i'm saving
Old 04-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As a life long pack a day smoker i finally gave it up when the price here in Montreal surpassed $10 a pack.It wasnt easy to give up but at $4000 per year could no longer afford the product.
its been 4 years now and i dont miss cigarettes, i do enjoy the money i'm saving
Well done. I know from experience that it's not easy. So now you are 4k richer and feel a whole lot better I bet
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #8

It boggles my mind too.
I was, unfortunately, a heavy smoker in my youth (slightly more than two packs a day). Cost was not an issue, since I could buy them at a military commissary free of taxes. When I quit, about 30 years ago, I paid $2.10 for a carton. I had been trying to quit for years, without much success, so it was a huge personal triumph for me when I finally did it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was a two-packer per day smoker in 1986 when I finally quit. I had tried everything to quit but the deciding factor was when my doctor told me I would never live to see retirement if I did not stop smoking. He scared the hell out of me and I never took another "drag" on a cigarette. As I remember the price back then was about $10/carton. That was about a week's supply. Today I can tell a smoker from ten feet away because of the odor. Can't believe I ever smelled like that. Myt wife also smoked and our house had to smell like a sewer. Ugh!
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #10
gone traveling

I was a pack a day smoker and quit smoking about 28 years ago. I don't recall what the cost per pack was back then but it didn't seem like much. I probably tried to quit 10 times or more before finally making it. I do recall that the first 2 or 3 weeks after quiting was not easy and I still wanted to smoke "at times" for the next year or two. Today, the smell of fresh cigarette smoke doesn't really bother me but I can't stand the smell of a house or car where someone has been smoking.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I smoked from teen years up until about 8-9 years ago. Still know a lot of smokers, don't mind it as long as I'm not at a meal, or trapped in a car with them. Glad to save the cash now. I smoked Camel Lights, because they gave away cool prizes with the cards you saved from the back of the packs. DH smoked Marlboro Lights.
It was hard to quit for good, but now I don't even really think about smoking a cigarette, even when I see someone light up.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I was also a pack a day smoker for about 8 years, gave it up in my late 20's. I smoked at work mostly, hardly smoked at all at home, notably on weekends (not at work). So I chalk it up to trying to fit in at the time, almost everyone smoked at work, long meetings were so smokey you could hardly see across the room. Glad those days are gone.

I knew better and was looking for one more reason to quit. When cigarettes reached $1 a pack that's all I needed, I said to myself that's it, I'm not paying a dollar a pack. I quit within 8 days...and never went back.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

It is not just smokes that eat up a lot of money...

My DW loves coffee... I love Dr Pepper.... (and candy)....

At least not as expensive as smokes, but it all adds up...

I wonder what ever happened to a friend that I had back in high school... I would be surprised if he were still alive... I swear this is true.... there were times that we would meet for something... he would be smoking... when he was finished with one he lit the next one with his old one... he would do this for hours on end... the longest I saw was 6 hours... he did not do this all the time, but it was not uncommon...

I did hate being around after awhile.... and I did not allow him to smoke in my car, which he hated....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #14

Well, even if they were free I wouldn't recommend it. Mom died at 70 from lung cancer and Dad at 77 from emphysema, both in our home with hospice helping. Neither was a pleasant way to go. This is why I ignore longevity predictions for me that include ancestry; I know were it not for their smoking my parents ages at death would have been much later. It amazed me how my father's heart kept on plugging at 77 with only ~80% O2 saturation; that's why I don't worry about heart disease from a genetic perspective.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
In 2012 Australia introduced one of the toughest anti-tobacco measures in the world by introducing plain paper packaging - ie. all tobacco irrespective of brand can only come in plain olive paper but with disgusting images of the effects of smoking
I (sincerely) hope that doesn't backfire.... KIDS! Collect 'em ALL!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #16

It's not hard to notice that smoke breaks are expensive for employers too. If I detect in a job interview that the candidate smokes it factors into my decision to hire them or someone else.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Out of curiousity, the cheapest I saw was in Benin @ $1.01 a pack; the highest I saw was $15.11 in Norway.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I smoked from teen years up until about 8-9 years ago. Still know a lot of smokers, don't mind it as long as I'm not at a meal, or trapped in a car with them. Glad to save the cash now. I smoked Camel Lights, because they gave away cool prizes with the cards you saved from the back of the packs. DH smoked Marlboro Lights.
It was hard to quit for good, but now I don't even really think about smoking a cigarette, even when I see someone light up.
Good old Camel Cash.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
Administrator

I smoked Camel unfiltereds until August 1984. One pack would last me three or four days. As I recall, at that time they cost about 40 cents a pack at the Navy Exchange.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

The NIH says the cost of a pack of cigarettes is 220 minutes for men.

To those who have quit--congratulations! Great work. My parents tried and couldn't do it. Mom died of heart disease (age 59), dad died of lung cancer (age 62).
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote