Costa Rica for dental tourism?

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A few months ago, I met a 64-year old lady who had gone to Costa Rica to get her teeth done. She had a beautiful "Hollywood smile". I forget all the details, but she had a ton of work done (crowns, etc.). She said the cost was so much more reasonable than having the work done in the U.S.

The dentist and his son are American-trained and the entire staff speaks English. Much of their practice is set up to cater to Americans and Canadians. There's a small hotel adjacent to the clinic which is set up to house the patients so they are close by and comfortable between visits to the clinic. If a patient has a bit more time between appointments, they'll even arrange for sightseeing tours of the area.

She said they even offer relatively cheap insurance ($150 including travel expenses) to cover any return visit that may be required.

I've never run into anyone else that has done this. I even asked my dental hygienist if they ever saw dental tourists in their practice. She said no.

Is anyone here familiar with Costa as a dental tourism location and have they heard any feedback from any such tourists?

omni

omni550 said:
A few months ago, I met a 64-year old lady who had gone to Costa Rica to get her teeth done. She had a beautiful "Hollywood smile". I forget all the details, but she had a ton of work done (crowns, etc.). She said the cost was so much more reasonable than having the work done in the U.S.

The dentist and his son are American-trained and the entire staff speaks English. Much of their practice is set up to cater to Americans and Canadians. There's a small hotel adjacent to the clinic which is set up to house the patients so they are close by and comfortable between visits to the clinic. If a patient has a bit more time between appointments, they'll even arrange for sightseeing tours of the area.

She said they even offer relatively cheap insurance ($150 including travel expenses) to cover any return visit that may be required.

I've never run into anyone else that has done this. I even asked my dental hygienist if they ever saw dental tourists in their practice. She said no.

Is anyone here familiar with Costa as a dental tourism location and have they heard any feedback from any such tourists?

omni

You might think that American trained dentists that speak English and cater to Americans and Canadians would set up practice in either America or Canada. Something seriously must be wrong with America or Canada. But, kudos to Costa Rica.

Omni, I posted a lot of information on the thread that MichaelB referenced.

I would only add a couple of items. I have gotten good care here in the Philippines, the country in which I eventually settled. Every dentist I have met is a native English speaker. However, care abroad in a developing country requires more due diligence than back in the USA. I would never go to a random dentist here (that I had not previously researched) except in an emergency.

Secondly, where you go might depend on where you live. Costa Rica is probably a more expensive type option. There are good dentists right across the border in Mexico that cater almost exclusively to Americans. In fact, my aunt and uncle and some cousins have had great luck with one particular dentist in Algodones, Mexico, which is right across the border from Yuma, Arizona. It is claimed that that area of the city has the highest concentration of doctors, dentists, and pharmacists in the world.

My aunt and uncle live in Southern California. So they drive there and stay overnight on the USA side of the border. Since most of the patients do not live locally, the process is often much faster. My uncle told me that on one visit they did the moldings or fittings (or whatever had to be done) within one day instead of a longer process at their local California dentist.

Finally, they find out ahead of time what really needs to be done from their USA dentist. That way there is less risk of unnecessary work, etc. Their USA dentists told them the work they have had done was good quality.

Last edited:
You might think that American trained dentists that speak English and cater to Americans and Canadians would set up practice in either America or Canada. Something seriously must be wrong with America or Canada. But, kudos to Costa Rica.

America is diverse and beautiful; I have heard many good things about Canada with no reason to doubt them even though I have not seen them personally; but, I have often referred to Costa Rica as the most beautiful country I have actually seen, including New Zealand which is also beautiful.

Seriously, Costa Rica has a wonderful climate, is very safe and relatively low cost (think rural middle America) with a well educated population.

I personally know an oral surgeon who already owns his retirement villa there but will not be practicing once he relocates down there more permanently. He has several colleagues who have already relocated and continue to practice because they have not yet accumulated the funds to fully retire.

I am not sure if it is perception or reality that North American dentists are more likely than other professions to be drawn to Costa Rica. But, there does seem to be an abundance of quality, affordable care available there.

CoolChange said:
America is diverse and beautiful; I have heard many good things about Canada with no reason to doubt them even though I have not seen them personally; but, I have often referred to Costa Rica as the most beautiful country I have actually seen, including New Zealand which is also beautiful.

Seriously, Costa Rica has a wonderful climate, is very safe and relatively low cost (think rural middle America) with a well educated population.

I personally know an oral surgeon who already owns his retirement villa there but will not be practicing once he relocates down there more permanently. He has several colleagues who have already relocated and continue to practice because they have not yet accumulated the funds to fully retire.

I am not sure if it is perception or reality that North American dentists are more likely than other professions to be drawn to Costa Rica. But, there does seem to be an abundance of quality, affordable care available there.

I've never been to Costa Rica but I believe you that it's beautiful. However, I doubt that the beauty inspires health professionals to work for little or no pay. I think it proves that if you lower the costs of delivering care along with healthy competition and consumerism , costs will go down. Unfortunately, current health reforms in the US don't address any of those.

I am told that many go there for a tour AND dental and other medical procedure. I just came back from Costa Rica tour and made a note to go back for return tour & any medical work (if I need it). Why not kill 2 birds with one stone?

Back
Top Bottom