Costco Kirkland Scotch

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was at my local Costco looking for adult beverages. I found their last remaining bottle of Kirkland Signature Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky. Aged 20 years. Price $60.

Any thoughts on Kirkland brand spirits Interms of the price and quality?

Note: my area has some of the highest liquor taxes in the nation. So the price may seem high to those of you in the more lightly taxed states.

Last edited:
I am a total convert to their Kirkland Vodka - not the american one, but the french one in the very tall bottle. The bottle is a PITA because it doesn't fit in most cupboards.

Kirkland tries very hard to maintain quality in their kirkland branded items... so I'd be surprised if it was crappy.

I was at my local Costco looking for adult beverages. I found their last remaining bottle of Kirkland Signature Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky. Aged 20 years. Price $60.

Any thoughts on Kirkland brand spirits I terms of the
Price and quality?

Note: my area has some of the highest liquor taxes in the nation. So the price may seem high to those of you in the more lightly taxed states.

I liked it. I googled the reviews before I bought one. The reviews were good too.

Drinking Kirkland Canadian and rum and have been well pleased with Kirkland vodka - not the French tall bottle, but the usable American version. I do not care for the extra heavy bottles they use for the Canadian and the rum, but maybe I should keep the booze somewhere other than the 7' high shelf.

Have you tried the Trader Joe's $9.95 scotch? By the end of an evening, working hard on the bottle with a friend, I was surprised how good it was. Not at all paint thinner-ish.

The Costco premade Margaritas we took to a party were pretty bad.

Imho only the first drink has to be good :)

I had the regular vodka earlier this evening. Good stuff. The white tequila is good for margaritas while the the anejo is excellent. I wish they made gin!

I'm a big fan of single malts, and when we moved to FL last year and I found the Costco liquor store I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. The Speyside Sherry Cask Finish I found was too tempting, much cheaper/oz than most of the ones I drink.

However, I wasn't thrilled. It was OK, as good as maybe Grant's, but definitely not up to Macallan's or Laphroaig. It didn't say who distilled it on the bottle, although I've seen some Costco scotch with Macallans name on the label before.

But still, for the price it's a definite yes. I can enjoy a Jack Daniels even though I prefer a Pappy Van Winkle or a Knob Creek. This is sort of like that, except with Scotch. Go for it.

Awww! I only wish our state laws allowed hard liquor sales at Costco. Beer and wine only here. Bummer.

I had the regular vodka earlier this evening. Good stuff. The white tequila is good for margaritas while the the anejo is excellent. I wish they made gin!

They now have a reposado that is really good. I like the American Vodka and the spiced rum as well. The wines I've tried have been very good.

I am a total convert to their Kirkland Vodka - not the american one, but the french one in the very tall bottle. The bottle is a PITA because it doesn't fit in most cupboards.

Kirkland tries very hard to maintain quality in their kirkland branded items... so I'd be surprised if it was crappy.

The costco employee told us the vodka is produced in the same place as Grey Goose. It's not Grey Goose with a different bottle but close. My wife enjoys it as much as the other top shelf brands.

I would expect the scotch to be very good as well. Kirkland brands are usually excellent.

Those of us in Pennsylvania are deprived. The state still keeps a tight control on liquor sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I really liked the Kirkland Speyside scotch. I tend to like single malts that are smokier and peaty but it was really quite good for the price. The rumour was that it was a Macallan but not sure that's true. Sadly I have not seen it lately around here

How does one store an opened bottle of good whisky? I recently finished an old bottle of Balvenie which was probably opened over two years ago. It is not as smooth as I remember.

How does one store an opened bottle of good whisky? I recently finished an old bottle of Balvenie which was probably opened over two years ago. It is not as smooth as I remember.

I can store it for you.... ;)

Just keep it in a dark cupboard tightly capped - it will be fine.

The costco employee told us the vodka is produced in the same place as Grey Goose. It's not Grey Goose with a different bottle but close. My wife enjoys it as much as the other top shelf brands.

I would expect the scotch to be very good as well. Kirkland brands are usually excellent.

I heard that same rumor... And did some digging. It's distilled in the same town as Grey Goose, and uses a lot of the same grain sources. But the product is different. In blind taste tests the kirkland one ranks higher typically. At half the price, and better taste, compared to Grey Goose, it's a bargain in my book.

I've been pleasantly surprised at the price drops since it was first introduced. I think it was 24ish when it first cameout - and it's now $21ish.

Personally, I'm a beer (Corona Light) and whiskey (Crown Royal) drinker. I've been known to drink Jack Daniels black label too. It took years and a lot of careful taste testing :) to get down to these few.

I've also tried a lot of different Scotchs (some of the best, so they tell me) but to me they all taste about the same (bad). It must be an acquired taste.

Last edited:
You need more practice. An experienced drinker wants the first 4 to be good. :)

I dunno. I would definitely qualify as an "experienced drinker" but since I lost a dozen pounds there are nights where a couple of pints of beer leave me pretty much legless. Search me as to why. But at that point I could care less what is in the glass so long as it does not varnish the back of my throat.

Down here in gringo-land, we get a Scotch that is around $90 pesos ($7 USD)...I mix with Coke, so it tastes as good as Jack at 1/4 the cost...I can afford to be a drunk now. :dance:

We also get a Sam's Scotch here for $200 pesos ($15 USD) for 2 Litros... not bad stuff either.

Last edited:
Just got back from Costco. They didn't have the Kirkland single here. I did look at that Kirkland vodka bottle, but I'd have to keep it in the garage. Only place I have a tall enough shelf.

I did find the a 1.75L bottle of Bulleits Rye. That was a big surprise. Picked up one of those with a nice bottle of An(squiggle)ejo . Don't know how to do that on this keyboard.

Añejo - cut and paste to the rescue.

My local Costco has Mount Gay XO rum, can sip like a whiskey. They had Meyer's and Pyrat too, I did not pay attention to the spiced or light rums. The selection available does vary.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom