Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't plan to go to Costco on a Saturday again if I can avoid it. It was manageable but weekdays have to be better...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I don't plan to go to Costco on a Saturday again if I can avoid it. It was manageable but weekdays have to be better...
Yes, weekends can be crazy!

Went to the Costco North Atlanta yesterday (Sunday) and OMG it was so packed! The huge parking lot was completely full and the aisles jammed with carts. All checkout lanes were open so at least that didn't take too long and no wait in the gas lane.

Our home Costco is not that crazy busy, but we usually go on weekdays. Even Friday mid-day can be a bit busy in our area as all the snacking Winter Texans come out of the woodwork.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I decided to join a Costco 60 miles from my house..closest one to me. I have doctors appts. there from time to time. I got the Executive membership but was told if my rebate at the end of the year didn't cover the extra $55 for it, they would reimburse that amount. Great customer service and the $55 was given back. I go there whenever I go to Tallahassee and keep a running list of things to get that I don't get at Sam's in Valdosta...the closest one, 22 miles. I'm in a very rural area, lol
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don't believe Costco gas counts towards the executive 2% rebate.
Correct.
Website states 2% Executive rebate is not calculated for gas, gift cards, or food court sales.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

We use the Costco AMex for all fuel purchases, and an occasional restaurant or travel expense where the 2% rewards matches our Fidelity AMEX.

We use the Fidelity AMEX 2% rewards for most purchases, including our non-gas purchases at Costco. Better reward (Costco AMEx is 1%) and we don't have to wait a year to get the cash reward.

My favorite use of the Costco AMEX - buying diesel for our motorhome. That 3% really adds up when you are buying $250-$300 of fuel at a time at a truck stop. I was so happy when I verified that we got the gas reward rate.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Remarkable to leave Costco with a few items rattling around in the bottom of the industrial-sized cart having spent $75-100, then go to Winco and stock up on Veg and bulk foods and piles of staples and load bag after bag in the car, having spent $25-35.
We may have income tax but we not only have no sales tax but we also have the best shopping options one could imagine. For those who want the higher end grocery offerings New Seasons is giving Whole (Paycheck) Foods real competition in our area.

I believe that Wal-Mart is building a store next to the Tigard Costco. That retail war will be interesting to watch.

It's fun living in Oree-gun.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post

I believe that Wal-Mart is building a store next to the Tigard Costco. That retail war will be interesting to watch.
Yes they are. I was out there today and construction has started.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
The way to tell if an item is a special buy (other than the obvious seasonal stuff) is if the price tag has a "*" on the upper right hand corner. Once their supply of that item is gone it is gone.
Here are the other codes, this article claims:

I Always Thought I Was Getting The Best Deals At Costco…But Then I Saw This!

Kindest regards.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post

Kindest regards.
I never knew that - thanks for sharing. Very helpful!
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #70

Quote:

Kindest regards.
Here's a similar article: Secret Price Codes Will Save You Money At Costco
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
We are in the process of buying a car through Costco and I love it. I just emailed Costco with the type of car I wanted to test drive and they sent an automatic email telling me which dealer would contact me. Then the dealer contacted me and I showed up to test drive. So far, I've tested Jeeps, Toyotas and Subarus. The price is pre-determined based on the brand and model.

I will never go back to haggling my own price.
The last car I bought I used Costco, But I figured they couldn't go up from the Costco quoted price, but they could go down.

I wound up buying much cheaper than the cheapest Costco price, from that Costco network dealer who gave me the best final net price.

I was very happy with the car, until it got totaled by an ilegal running from the police on a robbery charge. Actually I was happy even then, as I did not get hurt, and with 5 years on the car the insurance company gave me within $3000 of what I had paid.

Ha
Old 01-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

So negotiated down from Costco price?
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
So negotiated down from Costco price?
Yes; I don't remember how much, but maybe $1000 or so. It was meaningful to me anyway. And this was a reasonably popular Japanese car.

I usually find that as long as I am respectful and understanding of the salesperson's needs, s/he can be very accommodating.

Ha
Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Kindest regards.
+2, that is very helpful, thanks.

Probably a stupid question, but I assume Costco coupons are exceptions? We bought a few things with prices ending in .99 (full Costco price) but with several dollars off from coupons.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #75

> Costco gas is always cheaper by $0.10 to $0.20

It depends. Back in the bay area Costco was always cheaper and had the long lines to show for it.

Here in Ohio, Costco isn't always cheaper. But the lines aren't long either ;-)

I use GasBuddy to track prices and around here they tend to spike (creep downward, then one day they go 25¢). When I see the spike, I usually go by Costco because they don't adjust their prices during the day and I have a chance to get the lower price before it goes up.

One the other hand, I now have a diesel car and our local Costco is gasoline only. BUT on our recent trip our west I saw a Costco in Bakersfield that was offering diesel with a sign saying "now offering diesel" implying it's a new thing. So maybe there is hope for it here.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
> Costco gas is always cheaper by $0.10 to $0.20

It depends. Back in the bay area Costco was always cheaper and had the long lines to show for it.

Here in Ohio, Costco isn't always cheaper. But the lines aren't long either ;-)

I use GasBuddy to track prices and around here they tend to spike (creep downward, then one day they go 25¢). When I see the spike, I usually go by Costco because they don't adjust their prices during the day and I have a chance to get the lower price before it goes up.

One the other hand, I now have a diesel car and our local Costco is gasoline only. BUT on our recent trip our west I saw a Costco in Bakersfield that was offering diesel with a sign saying "now offering diesel" implying it's a new thing. So maybe there is hope for it here.
My local Costco is usually two or three cents cheaper, plus the 3% "rebate" I get for using the Costco AMEX card.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #77

> My local Costco is usually two or three cents cheaper, plus the 3% "rebate" I get for using the Costco AMEX card.

The Costco AMEX offer's 3% back on fuel no matter where you buy it. For me this means I often end up at Kroger for fuel. Once a month I get the 10¢ or 20¢ kickback from buying groceries there. Even when that's used up they offer a 3¢ discount all the time (when you use the Kroger loyalty card).

Of course I always check GasBuddy since often UDF or someone else's will be significantly cheaper for a while.

And I try not to drive all over creation to get cheap fuel since that can pretty much negate any savings.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
> My local Costco is usually two or three cents cheaper, plus the 3% "rebate" I get for using the Costco AMEX card.

The Costco AMEX offer's 3% back on fuel no matter where you buy it. For me this means I often end up at Kroger for fuel. Once a month I get the 10¢ or 20¢ kickback from buying groceries there. Even when that's used up they offer a 3¢ discount all the time (when you use the Kroger loyalty card).

Of course I always check GasBuddy since often UDF or someone else's will be significantly cheaper for a while.

And I try not to drive all over creation to get cheap fuel since that can pretty much negate any savings.
True about the rebate. There's a local grocery that gives big discounts, if I happen to actually buy enough groceries to qualify. But the Racetrac chain has a couple of stations nearby, and Costco always beats their price.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The last car I bought I used Costco, But I figured they couldn't go up from the Costco quoted price, but they could go down.

I wound up buying much cheaper than the cheapest Costco price, from that Costco network dealer who gave me the best final net price.

Ha
I've heard this many times before.
Except for true automaker employee (not friends/family/referrals/etc) discounts (e.g. Ford A-Plan, Chrysler "green Slip", etc.), there is no substitute for doing your own web-searching homework & hard bargaining with car dealers.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Here's an interesting article on the design of Costco stores, the 'treasure hunt' effect, and how they profit by not being to greedy.

The Choreography Of Design, Treasure Hunts, And Hot Dogs That Have Made Costco So Successful | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote