Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It's your car, so please yourself.

Ha
That's exactly what I'm trying to do, and Costco is getting in my way. I'll go around them if I must, but the cost of this 'free' service was loaded into the price I paid, so I feel some determination to get what I paid for.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lots of apples and mangos here.....and it's one reason Costco's policy is nonsense, IMO. I would always put the better tires on the DRIVE wheels, front or rear. Mustangs are rear wheel drive. Front brakes will do most of the braking regardless of where the drive wheels are located.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Lots of apples and mangos here.....and it's one reason Costco's policy is nonsense, IMO. I would always put the better tires on the DRIVE wheels, front or rear. Mustangs are rear wheel drive. Front brakes will do most of the braking regardless of where the drive wheels are located.
This is not a braking issue nor a drive wheel traction issue, it is an issue of lateral adhesion. (Cornering) The idea is to prevent the out of control 360s like Leonidis described.

With rear wheel drive cars there is no issue, as the drive wheels are also the wheels that need control.

We have only had FWD in the US for 50 years or so, (ignoring the old Cords). It can take a while to adjust attitudes to new realities.

Does anyone think that Costco and the others would risk customer displeasure as well as lawsuits if this were not well established?

Ha
Old 12-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #24

Can't speak to the soundness of not rotating the better tire to the front although it sounds like a ploy to wear out your tires as quickly as possible so that you will eventually be forced to buy 2 more (and lots of folks buy 4 'cause you will never match a tire that's more than 2 years old!).

But, FWIW, I too resent the "No Appt. Necessary" = "no appointments, period" Here in paradise, that translates to "except for cousin so-and-so or sista such and such". Went to Sams to get last set of tires. I went to have them installed right after purchase (mid day). The guy said nothing about wait time. I had no way to go anywhere, so I just planned to wait. I finally asked how long it would be. He said "Oh, we no get to it today, brah" So I ask if I can leave it over night. "No way, brah". So I bring it back first thing in the morning. Oddly enough, though I was first in line, they took other cars first - or else they WERE left over night. From first in line to 3 1/2 hours later to get my tires installed (what, a half hour job - maybe?).

No good complan in da Islands, brah. Just da kine way dey do heah, yeah? Good ting dis hauole boy retired, yeah?

I'm learning.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quit being a whiner and DIY. It will take as long as a phone call to the manager, but even if the call is successful, you'll have to go to the store again. I love Costco for tires, their free road hazard policy has saved me money, and they are usually the lowest price.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Quit being a whiner and DIY. It will take as long as a phone call to the manager, but even if the call is successful, you'll have to go to the store again. I love Costco for tires, their free road hazard policy has saved me money, and they are usually the lowest price.
Well, it is cold here right now. And I get older every year and less interested in jacking a car up in the cold. I don't like the safety issue of jacking both the front and back at the same time so I can do this (or swap out the spare and have to do twice as much jacking). I don't own a set of jack stands.

And, I paid for the service - I ought to get what I paid for.

And no - Costco is NOT the lowest price. I saved $321 on a set of 4 for my Volvo by going to Tirerack.com. That includes the mounting cost, but I declined the Road Hazard Warranty (why pay to insure what you can afford to cover), and I'll have to pay for rotations (maybe $80 lifetime?), but I'd rather do that then get this runaround for 'free lifetime' rotations that aren't.

-ERD50
Old 12-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
But, FWIW, I too resent the "No Appt. Necessary" = "no appointments, period" Here in paradise, that translates to "except for cousin so-and-so or sista such and such". Went to Sams to get last set of tires. I went to have them installed right after purchase (mid day). The guy said nothing about wait time. I had no way to go anywhere, so I just planned to wait. I finally asked how long it would be. He said "Oh, we no get to it today, brah" So I ask if I can leave it over night. "No way, brah". So I bring it back first thing in the morning. Oddly enough, though I was first in line, they took other cars first - or else they WERE left over night. From first in line to 3 1/2 hours later to get my tires installed (what, a half hour job - maybe?).
Don't feel bad - I have had similar experiences stateside with Sam's/Walmart for auto repair/maintenance issues like this. Like them wanting me to wait 3 hours to get a new battery installed. Heck, I may save $5-10 vs. Autozone or Advance Auto (who installs batteries for free), but my time is worth SOMETHING.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Having been the guy living where there is no snow and almost never any ice, I always kept the better treads on the front. That led to a set of what looked like racing slicks on the back end of my Mustang GT. And that led to hydroplaning in the #1 lane at about 70MPH into a series of 360 degree spins across 6 lanes of traffic, and a couple of hundred feet of sideways skidding through the dirt (including between the posts of a highway sign.)

People stopped and applauded.

I figured that was God's way of telling me that he didn't care how much those high-speed radials cost, it was time to stop being a cheapskate and buy some new tires.

Still, it sounds to me like Costco et. al. has found a way to scam suckers into buying new tires.

Not quite as exciting... but my BIL had the older tires on the back and he was doing 70.... hit a patch of standing water at 70 and he started the 360s... but he went over a curb and down into the ditch.... like you, hit nothing (except the curb)... it was funny looking at his car because the tires kicked up a LOT of mud and it was all over the car.... he bought tires also...

To the poster about time.... I have never seen 6 year... I have seen 7 and 8... and one listed 10 years... I have never had tires that long, but like you I make sure they are newer.... the last set I got for our SUV, they were 2 months old...
Old 12-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #29

I can tell you that Costco is very responsive if you decide to complain. I did this after visiting the store in Ca near Disney. Bought a cash card to buy lunch for the family, waited in this huge line after ordering and was told the cash card machine was broken. I got so ticked off because they wouldn't just ring it up in the store. We went elsewhere to eat and I voiced my complaints on the website. The next day I got a huge apology from the store manager and they acknowledged the machine was broken. They asked me to give them another chance by visiting the same location and the family meal would be on Costco's tab...whatever we wanted to eat off the menu! The frustration to cost ratio on this was a more than fair trade. My son was really happy after eating all his favorites there. Wish he was a little older, he was only 5, so he didn't eat that much food.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #30

I've always figured the free rotation and free repair weren't priced into the tires, but opportunities to sell new tires if the wear bars are showing, a bubble is on the side, belts fraying out the corner due to underinflation, etc..

I can't wrap my head around having the better tread on the rear tires on a FWD, but I don't let the rear tires rot or go bald, either.

My wear bars are almost through. I've always used Discount Tire for their road hazzard warranty, but lately I've thought about ditching the warranty, take the cost risk myself and price compare with Costco. Way back in the day I seemed to run over nails regularly as well as mysteriously develop side-tire bubbles, and a new tire was a hardship, but it's been years since I've had a flat, and long term I think I'm paying more for the warranty than the risk of a damaged tire is worth.

I'll have to look at the last time I bought tires, but I bought two from Discount Tire and had the new ones put on the front. This time I'll need all four, or close enough that I'll go ahead and buy four.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
... and one listed 10 years... I have never had tires that long, but like you I make sure they are newer...
At 10 years the steel belts start coming through the sidewalls, even if the tires have less than 50K on them and the tread wear bars aren't showing yet, so it's pretty a fairly straightforward indicator.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Buy your tires at Tirerack.com and just have them shipped to an authorized center that will match the same free rotation policy. My car's rear tires are larger than the front so I don't rotate them, but I know my local Merchant's offers free rotation with a basic $20 oil change anyway.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Buy your tires at Tirerack.com and just have them shipped to an authorized center that will match the same free rotation policy. My car's rear tires are larger than the front so I don't rotate them, but I know my local Merchant's offers free rotation with a basic $20 oil change anyway.

One of the problems is I don't just want a free rotation.... I also want them rebalanced... that is not part of a free rotation...

But, if you pay for lifetime balance and rotation (not that expensive)... you get balanced tires along with the rotation...
Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
At 10 years the steel belts start coming through the sidewalls, even if the tires have less than 50K on them and the tread wear bars aren't showing yet, so it's pretty a fairly straightforward indicator.

Yea... I kinda think that would do it for me

So far, 6 years is the longest I have had tires before their are worn...

Now, my dad had a van... and after he died I took over his small company to pay my way through college... I did not drive the van much... one day the back tire just blew out... the neighbor across the street thought it sounded like a gunshot... a nice hole in the side... even with tread on the tires.. lucky I was not driving...
Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #35
gone traveling

Don't have a Costco (locally) - don't have a problem ...

I order my tires via Tire Rack and have the local STS store mount/balance/allign my "new shoes".

Nothing more than that.

Of course, on my "main vehicle" (a Cadillac SRX) the tires cannot be switched (front/rear are different sizes).

That eliminates the rotation problem ...
Old 12-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Don't have a Costco (locally) - don't have a problem ...

I order my tires via Tire Rack and have the local STS store mount/balance/allign my "new shoes".

Nothing more than that.

Of course, on my "main vehicle" (a Cadillac SRX) the tires cannot be switched (front/rear are different sizes).

That eliminates the rotation problem ...

Not really... you can go side to side

It does matter what kind of tire you have.... but I had put different sized tires on a car LONG ago... and as long as they are not unidirectional they can flip them and put on the other side... it does help to even the wear...
Old 12-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
...they can flip them and put on the other side...
Sorry - I only go "one way"

BTW, I only put on less than 2K a year on this vehicle (even less on my "baby" - an '02 Mustang GT vert, which traveled 900 miles last year), so I'm not going to worry about it.

I'll probably change them due to age, rather than miles driven (just to be safe). Heck, the original shoes are on my Mustang (after 9 model years). I intend to change them as soon as I firm up my "Route 66" plan...

Anybody want to join me? ...
Old 12-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is not a braking issue nor a drive wheel traction issue, it is an issue of lateral adhesion. (Cornering) The idea is to prevent the out of control 360s like Leonidis described.

With rear wheel drive cars there is no issue, as the drive wheels are also the wheels that need control.

We have only had FWD in the US for 50 years or so, (ignoring the old Cords). It can take a while to adjust attitudes to new realities.

Does anyone think that Costco and the others would risk customer displeasure as well as lawsuits if this were not well established?

Ha
You're correct about the lateral adhesion issue and I was hasty in thinking it related to acceration or braking. I read the tirerack.com rationale for keeping the better tires up front (even with RWD). I believe they specifically mentioned hydroplaning which is not a lateral adhesion-specific issue and thier "testing" was based tires that were never rotated (e.g. the rear tires were 50% worn) and it was done on a skidpad which does measure lateral adhesion. This suggests the "differential" between front and rear treadwear is significant as Costco's policy implies, but a 50% difference is not necessarily the same as 2/32nds. I expect to continue rotating my tires even if I have to do it myself or pay for it, but most retailers I deal with offer both rotation and balance for the life of the tire. It's just good practice to have the entire tread area and each sidewall visuall inspected frequently. I don't mess around with tires and have generally replaced before the wear bars are showing.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #39

$ 0.02 worth.

Hydroplaning is largely a function of tire pressure. The lower the pressure the lower the hydroplaning speed.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #40

I am sitting at Discount Tire now. They also put new tires on the rear. Michelin has a video online about this, but I'm on slow public wifi so I can't preview and post it now. I bought my previous 2 new tires at DT in Jan 2009, and they put them on the front at my request. I don't recall if they balked at the time, so I'm guessing this new-tires-in-the-rear thing is new.

I get the strong impression the problem is that it's too easy to let the rear tires rot or go bald since you don't notice a problem on a FWD car until you catastrophically lose control. I was surprised to find my rear tires had 92K miles on them. (I asked the DT guy to check the date code on my tires, he said they're factory tires made in 2005.) They don't look that bad, and I was waffling on replacing them because there is still some tread left. But 5-6 years old and 92k miles, they're gone.

I was going to price shop, but then realized Discount Tire has never done me wrong, and they're all over the place unlike Costco. Plus I found myself ending the work day early near a DT. I did decline the road hazzard warranty this time, though. so avoid driving behind a silver Sonata because I'm sure somebody will be sprinkling nails in front of me soon.