Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2017, 08:19 AM   #281
Recycles dryer sheets

I would bet Costco makes sure the flash freezing really works properly so all the pathogens would be killed. I do buy and cook the scallops. I am concerned about all the pollution we dump into the ocean that is filtered by scallops. I know it is a slight concern but I hope cooking would break any of the chemicals down.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Honestly, I don’t think cooking seafood will necessarily break down pollutants. It won’t take care of mercury contamination, for example. It breaks down complex protein chains and bacteria/parasites but I doubt it does much for the simpler chemicals. And mercury is an element, so it won’t be broken down without splitting atoms.

I think the best you can do is pay attention to where the seafood was fished/harvested.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #283
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
US regulations require seafood to be flash frozen before serving as sushi to kill parasites. What are you worried about from filter feeders? What will cooking change?
But since Costco doesn't sell these as sushi grade (I'm assuming that), they may not be flash-frozen to the same standards?

edit/add:

http://www.pbs.org/food/fresh-tastes/myth-sushi-grade/

Quote:
For fish that contain parasites, the FDA provides guidance under their Parasite Destruction Guarantee. This states in part that fish intended to be consumed raw must be “frozen and stored at a temperature of -20°C (-4°F) or below for a minimum of 168 hours (7 days)”.
I guess that could be finished at home to be certain. Our freezer is -10°F, so a week there should be good.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #284
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
LOL!

Yeah, and Mexicans definitely inherited the Spanish love of pork.

To be rivaled by the US southeast of course. My understanding about the US southeast pork tradition is the woody terrain was more suited to the raising of pigs than other livestock.
FWIW, according to a friend who has visited a number of 3rd world countries, pigs are a very cheap way to turn inedible scraps into protein.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #285
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
My not-so-awesome Costco story is with King Crab legs that smelled like ammonia. A friend of mine had the same experience earlier. No more. I've never had that problem in a traditional grocery store.

Also, I tried their frozen yogurt swirl. Meh. I love ice cream, frozen yogurt, custard, etc. I had about half the cup (a hugely generous serving) and pitched the rest. I could've put it in my freezer at home but it wasn't worth it. Not terrible by any means, but just not that good.

The prime tenderloin, however, was incredibly good.
Alas, the people who run Costco still put on their pants one leg at a time like the rest of us. Because of that imperfection, they do make a few things I don't care for. One is their own brand of home baked pizzas. I find they have far to much doughy crust, a very thin layer of so-so sauce, skimp on the cheese, and forgettable toppings. I don't buy them anymore.

That said, their cakes and most of the Kirkland Signature products are just great products at a great value. And, as others have said, no hassles when one returns most things.

And, yes, their meats are usually very good.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #286
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But since Costco doesn't sell these as sushi grade (I'm assuming that), they may not be flash-frozen to the same standards?

The Myth of Sushi-Grade | Fresh Tastes Blog | PBS Food
I guess that could be finished at home to be certain. Our freezer is -10°F, so a week there should be good.

-ERD50
If the fish is labeled fresh when I buy it at the store, I assume it has never been commercially frozen and I don't eat it raw. If I buy the fish frozen, then I know it's been commercially frozen and probably OK, especially if I get it in the original packaging. HEB will bring me out a whole fillet from their commerical freezer if I ask.

Actually, the only fish I eat semi-raw at home is seared tuna. Tuna is the only fish the USDA says it OK to eat raw without flash-freezing as it doesn't contain parasites unsafe for humans. Searing takes care of surface contaminants. Salmon - if it's been commercially frozen - like coming in a Trident package, I'm OK with smoking it or cooking it to medium rare or rare. If it's sold as fresh, I cook it to higher temps to kill nematodes, etc.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #287

I suppose it's a seasonal item, but I've been greatly enjoying Costco's chestnuts lately. A box containing four foil packages of peeled, roasted chestnuts. Pop them in a toaster oven to heat them up and it's Christmas.

When I was a little kid, my mom would take me shopping at this time of year into "the city" (Manhattan) and there would be lots of sidewalk vendors selling little bags of fresh roasted chestnuts.

What they would do is take a #10 can, punch a few holes in it, put a few charcoal briquets in it, and fill the can with freshly harvested chestnuts. Attach a string to the can. By swinging it around, the charcoal would get hot enough to roast the chestnuts and the smell was to die for. You bought a tiny paper bag full of hot chestnuts for a buck or so and munched on them as you walked around. One of my absolute favorite memories.

These Costco chestnuts are about as good as I've ever found, and you don't even have to peel them. I toast them hot enough to almost burn my fingers in order to get the full nostalgia effect!

gefen.jpg
Old 12-07-2017, 03:30 PM   #288
Give me a forum ...

I have never had roasted chestnuts. I’ll have to check these out.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #289

Quote:
I have never had roasted chestnuts. I’ll have to check these out.
What? Mel Tormé and Nat King Cole would be appalled!

Old 12-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #290
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
These Costco chestnuts are about as good as I've ever found, and you don't even have to peel them. I toast them hot enough to almost burn my fingers in order to get the full nostalgia effect!

Ooh, you got my attention. Moved out of NJ (where I sometimes enjoyed them in Manhattan in the winter) in 2003 and haven't had them since except once on a trip to London. I'll be looking for them in my local Costco tomorrow.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:37 PM   #291
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nobody can top their warranty and return policy.

Bought a 70" TV a year ago from an early Black Friday sale. It was the best price by far, than any other place. Costco doubles the 1 year warranty and since I used their credit card, they doubled it again. 4 years warranty, and we all know how well Costco's return policy is.

Speaking of return policy at Costco, I bought a memory foam mattress there many years ago. It was warrantied for 20 years. At 9 years it had a decidedly pronounced divet where I slept on it. I called them, they said bring it in and they would swap it out for the most current model of that style since they no longer actually carry the one I bought. So I rolled it up, used a couple ratchet straps to get it small enough to fit in the car, and hauled it down. I left with a brand new mattress with another fresh 20 year warranty on it. Even better; I did not need a receipt. They had the record of my purchase still in their system. They offered me full cash or store credit refund, but since the replacement mattress was about $300 more than the original, and I still needed a mattress, I went with the exchange.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #292
Give me a forum ...

Nice! Would you have to retain your membership to keep the warranty in place? Or at least the extended warranty? I joined this year because of a great price on Disney lodging. I will probably renew since my son lives close and uses it too, but I don't know if I'll renew indefinitely. Wondering what would happen if I called about a 9 year old mattress and hadn't been a member for 5 years, or had a 4 year lapse in there. Any knowledge or experience here?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #293
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Nice! Would you have to retain your membership to keep the warranty in place? Or at least the extended warranty? I joined this year because of a great price on Disney lodging. I will probably renew since my son lives close and uses it too, but I don't know if I'll renew indefinitely. Wondering what would happen if I called about a 9 year old mattress and hadn't been a member for 5 years, or had a 4 year lapse in there. Any knowledge or experience here?
I had a lapse in membership on the mattress I described. In fact, I renewed the membership just prior, thinking it might be criteria for the warranty claim. I figured if it wasn't, or if they didn't honor the warranty, I'd just cancel the membership for a refund. After I was given my cash refund, I asked the clerk if my renewed membership had anything to do with the refund. She said no, it had to do with their ability to look up my purchase based on my name alone. See, when I renewed membership after a few years lapse, I had a new membership number. When I initially called my store about the warranty, they asked for my member # and I gave them the new one. They couldn't find any purchase for that mattress because I didn't buy it under that membership. Finally she found it under my name and address. So at least a break in membership didn't affect the warranty
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote