Costco? What makes it awesome for you?

Yes, there is some spatter. And I have my fan/vent running full blast, there can be a little smoke near the end.

My oven is already spattered pretty well from roasting beef bones for stock. So I don't care.
I do a lot of my roasting outside, too hot here. I don't want to save money on a $3 chicken and pay $5 to cool down the house.

I shop at Costco every week. All of our groceries come from either Costco or Trader Joe's.

I have to laugh at the people who say they can't buy there because of the bulk size of the purchases. I'm only shopping for the two of us and routinely find that I have to buy multiple containers of each item I purchase because one is not enough. I go through 7 pounds of cherries a week personally, so two 3 pound clam shells don't even last me until the end of the week.

I guess I must be eating too much.

In the last couple of months:
Hearing aids - $1699
Cell Phone - $219
Tablet - $229
Generator - $615

Maybe its time to cut up my Costco card? :confused:

Having a Costco (several actually) in the Islands makes it much easier to survive. I'm not talking 20%, 30% savings, I'm talking 50% savings and more on many items - especially staples. It's true that the quantities can be daunting. We rarely get through 10b of potatoes with out throwing out the last few. 3 heads of lettuce have to be shared in our building or pitched in a few days. Even with that, we save enough that we can make it work.

Costco's return policy is second to none. Walk in, tell 'em it didn't work out for you and they credit your card. Period.

We also have a Sam's membership and there are a few items we either can not get at Costco or that have a better price at Sams. If I had to drop one, there would be no contest. I'd keep the Costco membership.

Now having been so complimentary, it really bugs me to wait in lines to check out when they could open more lanes.

Just when I find an item I like, they drop it. I found Grape Nuts cereal there a few months back. The huge box was way less than the standard box at Safeway. So I got a couple of boxes. When the display with hundreds of boxes of the cereal was gone in a couple of days, THAT was it. I asked and got shrugged shoulders until I finally button-holed the manager. He claimed that the supplier could not supply the volume needed to keep it in stock - so they dropped it instead of just getting it whenever they could. Seems really stupid to me, but I'm sure they know what they're doing. It just leaves a bad taste for me. YMMV

We've been members for years. When we lived in Japan, once we'd bought meat at Costco, we didnt dare buy meat at the local store. We typically went only once a month because it was an hour drive, plus $22 worth of road tolls. But we saved enough on a week's worth of meat to cover the tolls. Once we'd covered that, everything else was a no-brainer. And Costco was the only place to get a lot of American or American sized foods.

Back in the states, we consume steaks only about once per month, but Costco is the only place I know that you can get prime rib-eye "cap" steaks. This side of Kobe beef, that is IMHO the best you can buy. Pricey at $20 a pound, but since we eat only $25 of it a month, we'd prefer the good stuff. We live in "cherry country". Lots of them grown around here...but the absolute best cherries aren't at the fruit stands...they're at Costco, at about the same price or maybe just a tad more than the fruit stands. DW loves cherries, so from May thru July, we hit costco once a week for cherries and produce.

Finally, when we moved back to the States, we upgraded to executive membership which does cost more but comes with a rebate that way more than covers, for us, the membership fee.

I take advantage of the following: Travel discount. TV discount. Fresh foods. Clothes items sometimes. Cleaning supplies.

We live in "cherry country". Lots of them grown around here...but the absolute best cherries aren't at the fruit stands...they're at Costco, at about the same price or maybe just a tad more than the fruit stands. DW loves cherries, so from May thru July, we hit costco once a week for cherries and produce.
LOL! I get really excited when I see that cherries from Selah or Yakima have arrived at my Costco! They do seem to get some of the best of the WA fruit.

From Poney Boy: Things I dislike...food samples. I understand why they do it but its annoying to have groups of people standing around wanting to sample a cracker. Are you kidding me!?

I would wager for some it's their main meal.

Looking at the comments, I realize it's time to drop my membership. I can get many of the same items at Sam's Club. And the reason I'm liking Sam's Club more is the "Scan n Go" app.

I just show the "Scan n Go" app on my phone and I don't need to show my membership card upon entering Sam's Club. Then I scan all the items I want to purchase, pay and show phone to person when exiting store. Very simple, no having to wait in long lines that Costco is notorious for.

I know I sound like a commercial for Sam's Club, and while I do love Costco, it's become very convenient to shop at Sam's Club and there are way less people.

We love Costco but not everything is a great deal there. But their return policy is excellent so it gives us a bit more confidence buying certain items. A lot of repeats from other posts but here goes...

Here's some of what we typically buy:
Various proteins. Costco also sells prime grade beef which can be hard to find for the odd special occasion.
Spices
Certain fruits and veg like romaine hearts
Rotisserie chicken
Cream
Bacon
Cakes and some bakery products
Composite hockey sticks
Toilet paper
Certain crackers and snacks
Some clothing
Gas
Rental cars
Contacts and contact solution
Passport photos

Plus some products go on promo, discount, or clearance which make some items a really good deal. Normal pricing is typically $x.99. You can ID the deals by $x.97 or $x.y7 (manufacturer discount) or $x.88 or $x.00.

We used to buy glasses there. Still think they are a good deal but we found a local independent shop that's just as cheap and orders frames in for us. Also want to support a local shop.

We generally don't buy electronics from Costco because we can typically find better deals elsewhere but I wouldn't hesitate buying a tv from there.

I just tried out the car buying service. I ended up getting an even better deal at a local dealership, but that did require some haggling. ...........
I used the Costco price as my opening bargaining price then negotiated an additional $500 off that.

I know I sound like a commercial for Sam's Club, and while I do love Costco, it's become very convenient to shop at Sam's Club and there are way less people.

Sam's Club is Wal-Mart. I don't support Wal-Mart.

Just when I find an item I like, they drop it. I found Grape Nuts cereal there a few months back. The huge box was way less than the standard box at Safeway. So I got a couple of boxes. When the display with hundreds of boxes of the cereal was gone in a couple of days, THAT was it. I asked and got shrugged shoulders until I finally button-holed the manager. He claimed that the supplier could not supply the volume needed to keep it in stock - so they dropped it instead of just getting it whenever they could. Seems really stupid to me, but I'm sure they know what they're doing. It just leaves a bad taste for me. YMMV

That "treasure hunt" thing has to be deliberate. It keeps people wandering through every aisle to see what's new or if a favorite item that's carried intermittently is back. I agree, though, that it's odd that in this case they just decided to drop the item completely, especially after the initial stock disappeared so quickly.

Last edited:
I was told Costco sells more Salmon than any other retailer. We buy it mostly for sushi and sashimi.

What I don't like is being solicited while I'm shopping.

Sometimes being hard of hearing has its advantages. Maybe I will just put the new Costco hearing aids on "off" (using the app on my new Costco cell phone) while I shop at Costco. :D

From Poney Boy: Things I dislike...food samples. I understand why they do it but its annoying to have groups of people standing around wanting to sample a cracker. Are you kidding me!?

I would wager for some it's their main meal.

Ah, yes! DW and I were discussing our Retirement Back-Up plans recently. BACK-UP Plan #1: Sell cars, walk one mile to Costco everyday, graze on samples until gorged, take THE BUS home with the hugely discounted THE BUS pass for Kupuna, rinse, repeat. (Why take THE BUS home, I hear you ask? - Too full to walk that far. :cool:) Once we laughed about it, we looked at each other and realized it wasn't such a bad strategy. YMMV

Price, return policy, meat, tires, and just about any Kirkland brand house labelled product.

Sam's Club is Wal-Mart. I don't support Wal-Mart.

That "treasure hunt" thing has to be deliberate. It keeps people wandering through every aisle to see what's new or if a favorite item that's carried intermittently is back. I agree, though, that it's odd that in this case they just decided to drop the item completely, especially after the initial stock disappeared so quickly.

We bought some wood floor cleaner (Boda, I think) there a while ago and when we went back it was gone. DH asked customer service and they said they carry it every six months or twelve months or whatever. I imagine there's some financial benefit to Costco to order periodically a large volume from the vendor, sell it out, and wait until demand is there for another big order.

That's why I avoid the sample people unless I'm with my granddaughter- you always get the sales pitch.

I avoid eye contact with people behind displays of wine bottles with programmable LED displays running around them ("Happy Anniversary, Joe and Sue"), Cutco knives (love them but already have them) and expensive appliances for making smoothies (if I ever get an urge for smoothies, my blender will be just fine). The ones hawking window and floor treatments know little. I asked the window treatment lady what plantation blinds cost per square foot. She couldn't even give me a range. I started explaining to the floor guy that I wanted ceramic tile installed over particleboard and would Ditra work as an underlayment and his eyes glazed over. All they do is get leads.

We belong because we can buy stuff there in Puerto Vallarta that we cannot get anywhere else. We go there once a month. In Canada, we order stuff online because of better selection, and can return it to the store if it is not as pictured. They are just introducing gasoline sales in PV. Our house wine is an Argentinian Malbec at 429 pesos, often discounted, for 6 bottles.

Yep, back in the days before Costco, Price Club was one of the customers I worked with in my role as a Systems Engineer at a MegaCorp. I had a few opportunities to meet with Sol Price and he was a very interesting character. It was his philosophy to create a "sense of urgency" in the customer so they will feel that they need to buy it now in case it's gone the next time they come in.

Costco works for us as long as we stick to our list plus things we really need or are not too expensive. Clothes are very reasonable. It is cheaper for us to buy clothes and sometimes even shoes there whenever we see something we like rather than wait until we need something and then shop around. But we have to be careful not to go in for chicken and coffee and come out with kayaks or electric bikes. They make it easy to end up buying too much like Kramer on Seinfeld:

Extended warranty and tech service for many electronic products, rotisserie chicken, return policy on everything, shoes, clothing (love the "Gerry" winter jacket, $50 @ Costco $130 @ other stores), order something online and can return to any Costco store, Salmon, prescriptions, fruit, veggies. My sister & I (both of us are 2 person households) go every other week. Can't believe I almost forgot to mention their sheets. The sheets are CHEAP and soft! :smitten:

Someone mentioned that they had a friend or family member on their second card for all the warehouse clubs. I think that I asked about giving my second member card at Costco to my sister but she had to have the same address as me and she had to have ID to prove it.
People mention the lines at Costco. Only time there are really long lines at mine is around the holidays. Even then the lines move pretty fast compared to other stores because of the two people at the checkout. I've never had to wait long during the week, usually only 1 or 2 people in front of me. Around the holidays, I don't understand the people that get into line behind me and immediately start complaining about the line.

My "home" costco is the original Price Club... and there are costco corporate offices on the backside of the building.

As mentioned - to avoid crowds go during the week, when it opens. I can do a full shopping (overloaded oversized cart) in well under an hour because I know the store well.

I shop about every 10 days. I infill at a local produce store.

Things I specifically like:
- Their multigrain bread.
- Their vodka and gin (vodka in the super tall bottle... don't like the bottle, but like the vodka).
- Their dog food.
- Their bagels
- Their flash frozen wild caught salmon
- Steaks, organic hamburger, pork loins, organic whole chickens... meat in general.

I have teenage boys... So the bulk items don't bother me. My boys consume an amazing amount of food... especially during swim team season and water polo season.

Back
Top Bottom