Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Costs to raise children: $1,530
Old 03-07-2007, 09:53 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I guess I don't see how public schools can avoid having to address the needs of *all* kids. Isn't that what "public" means? How can that not be a handicap?
in some cases they have succeeded and in some cases they have failed i have seen both extremes...

my alma mater (where my son now attends) has excellent programs - academic, social, sports, leadership - seems like the vast majority of kids find a nitch whether it be band, the badminton team or student government, it is an active environment. my son is in special ed and they provide him a great deal of resources and "attention", provide bi-weekly check-ins on his progress from each of his 6 teachers (that is available to any parent, not just special ed)..and the school has over 3000 kids - they are doing a great job.

have also been around pub schools with no resources, little support, crazy teachers and administrators and they think your kid is a genius because they can read in 5th grade (fast forward my kid being in special ed later!)...

the "unevenness" in public education is a huge problem - aside from needs to innovate the pedagogy....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I guess I don't see how public schools can avoid having to address the needs of *all* kids. Isn't that what "public" means? How can that not be a handicap?
Whether it's fair or not, the public schools that I and my children have attended (completely different parts of the country) group students of similar ability into the same classes. There are even so-called schools within schools. That's one way of addressing the needs of "all" kids.

I will freely admit that public schools in wealthier areas address needs better.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
We didn't move here for the schools, but the idea of taking advantage of an education we already paid for is very compelling. We think she'd get a better education in private schools, but we're trying to convince ourselves that she needs the "real world" exposure that public schools will provide.
She'll get plenty of the real world soon enough. Public education is 1/4 education, 3/4 indoctrination. Avoid it if you can!

Ha
Old 03-08-2007, 06:51 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
The way I figure it, if you've got smart, motivated, well educated parents, there's a good chance your kid is going to be a 95th percentile kid in whatever they want to do. Spending big bucks or other resources on pushing them the extra mile might get them to the 98th or 99th percentile, or it might give them a nervous breakdown.

Now, back to teaching my trilingual 1 year old her fourth language...

And structural design principles using her lego blocks...
Yes! I chose private school because the local schools here are not even close. But in the nearby suburbs there are lots of public schools I would not have hesitated to send DD to. DS went to public schools in Long Island and Connecticut and was fine. The private school DD went to was excellent but I was amazed at the attitudes of some of the parents - "helicopter" doesn't even begin to describe them. At some of the other private schools the parents were far worse, according to friends whose children attended them.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

In Illinois, public elementary and high schools are funded primarily by local real estate taxes. Thus, funding per student varies dramatically from school district to school district with an over three-to-one variation from the lowest to the highest. School quality isn't exclusively dependent on funding, but I think it is an important factor.

Compare a small private elementary school with a religious agenda (that perhaps you don't agree with) to a well funded public elementary school in a prestigious suburb and you'll likely prefer the public school. And, compare a Chicago ghetto school to an expensive and exclusive private school focusing on teaching the academically gifted and you'll likely choose the private school.

You sort of have to do an apples to apples thing...........

Generally, I am a fan of private schools. Almost half of the children in our town attend private schools, despite the public schools being well rated and successful. Most of our private schools are religious affiliated, primarily Catholic. It's estimated that our property taxes would increase by one third if these private schools closed and the public schools had to accomodate almost double the students! Everytime I drive by the local Catholic high school and there is a car wash going on, or whenever their kids are selling something door to door, I always support them............ because they are helping to support me by keeping my property taxes reasonable! Bless their hearts!

I'm also a huge fan of small private colleges.