Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, FDude, I'll admit two things. I'm glad I took my cougar avatar down a long time ago......and I'm just a plain ol' 51 (almost 52) year old woman just waltzing along takin' it one day at a time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well, FDude, I'll admit two things. I'm glad I took my cougar avatar down a long time ago......and I'm just a plain ol' 51 (almost 52) year old woman just waltzing along takin' it one day at a time.
Hey old enough to know better...

Old 10-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

I was a 19 year old very naive AF cadet on my first day of summer duty in the backseat of an F-4 at Homestead AFB and got picked up at the Officer's Club by a 40 year old Captain (nurse). Best summer of my life. I never even went back to my room for my suitcase. 500 knots inverted, hanging from the straps, over the Everglades, was nothing compared to my Cougar. At this age, I would give anything to re-do the F-4 part. Ladies, go for it, and the younger the better. There were no regrets on either side and it ended when I HAD to go back to school.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Right. Ain't even reached your prime, I'd bet .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

I do have two good friends whose second husbands are ten years their juniors (both husbands are more mature than the first husbands were!). But I don't think my friends were technically cougars as they were the ones being pursued.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm- ? 7 yrs older to 16 yrs younger if memory serves - I did live 30 yrs in New Orleans.

So the thing in the right ear is probably a hearing aid - not a shape adjustment knob?

eh?

heh heh heh - .
Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #47

Hey I'm 60, any Cougar to me would most likely be using a walker.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:26 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I know... But I would have never met DW, so my ethics paid off in the end .
hmmmm was she watching as you were typing?
just kidding ...
Old 10-15-2009, 03:03 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Who doesn't like a kitty cat?
Yes, especially ones who "know how to bite." OK, is this still a G-rated forum?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:50 AM   #50

A cougar for me would probably be that old bat on the Golden Girls
Old 10-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Biggest age difference I was ever involved in was me in my late teens (18 and 19) dating 2 guys in their early 30s. Um, not at the same time for the benefit of my fellow gutterminds.
I was always more mature than my chronological years, so actually both were a good fit.
I never dated a man my own age again...
until...<drum roll>...
dh2b is 16 months younger. But he acted a lot older so I didn't realize.
My personal mission is to get him to act like a kid more often.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #52

I always have balked at that philosophy that seems most popular: men must be at least older than the woman. Why? I just don't get what that does for the man's ego, which is what it is based on. Can some guy explain that to me?
It's noticeable if you stroll thru the personal ads, too, because you have 60 year old guys asking for women who are 45, for example, and it happens over and over and over. By 60, I would hope, a man is more secure than that. What's with the age thing with guys?
Happily, times have changed some and it is not uncommon for older women--long ignored by the older men their age--going for the younger men and the younger men going for the older women. Of course, you will occasionally get some older women who will intentionally embarrass the older woman by saying, "...and what would your son like to eat?" But that might just be their own hang-up or even jealousy.
As for me, I want someone my own age or thereabouts, but my girlfriends who are married say go for a guy 5-7 years younger so we age at the same rate (figuring men die earlier than women the same age).
I did have one girlfriend who married a guy from her daughter's high school class. She had some premature aging and he looked his age, but together they looked totally like mother and son (not good). They stayed married for 15 years--just as long as she totally supported him financially! Yeah, that would happen with me...not. Some women are either desperate or just plain stupid (even with her law degree), but it do take all kinds to make a world.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Rethinking the Older Woman-Younger Man Relationship
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
from the article...
"the authors found that women liked the vitality the younger man brought into their lives, and men liked the maturity and confidence in the women"
And I'm going to behave this time..from my own real life experience...when I found myself involuntarily single at age 46, there were very few single men in the same age or just slightly older group. It's just the way it happens in remote areas.
"All the good ones are taken" and all that jazz.
I had a few younger guys making the moves. I never ruled out a younger guy because of their age.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I never ruled out a younger guy because of their age.
Or stamina..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Well, freebird...it looks like you and I were on same wave length back in the day.

If I dated a man twice my age now, he'd have to be 102.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #57

better watch out for them young whipper snappers making the moves..
Old 10-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I always have balked at that philosophy that seems most popular: men must be at least older than the woman. Why? I just don't get what that does for the man's ego, which is what it is based on. Can some guy explain that to me?
I think it is kind of a societal norm that goes back a few generations. Russia is an interesting example. It is NOT uncommon at ALL for a 20 year old woman to marry a 50 year old man, it happens all the time, from what I understand......

Quote:
It's noticeable if you stroll thru the personal ads, too, because you have 60 year old guys asking for women who are 45, for example, and it happens over and over and over. By 60, I would hope, a man is more secure than that. What's with the age thing with guys?
A lot of those guys are probably recently divorced, and don't want another woman the same age as their ex, figuring that all woman that age have issues....... More likely, he wants to know he still "has the mojo"........

Quote:
I did have one girlfriend who married a guy from her daughter's high school class. She had some premature aging and he looked his age, but together they looked totally like mother and son (not good). They stayed married for 15 years--just as long as she totally supported him financially! Yeah, that would happen with me...not. Some women are either desperate or just plain stupid (even with her law degree), but it do take all kinds to make a world.
Why does that make your friend desperate or stupid? Obviously they made it work for 15 years.........maybe the companionship made her feel younger..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Good grief, I'm too old for a 60 year old man?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

A number of women I know or work with say they (in their 30s and 40s) are attracted to older men (50s and 60s), assuming they are fit and active, of course. They deny it's about the money and say it's because we're finally controlling our rutting instincts, are more mature, etc.

A disporportionate number who feel that way are from South America and western Europe.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote