Join Early Retirement Today

Could you have worked 67 years?
Old 02-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #1

Just saw this on the news this evening. Man retiring from GM after 67 years. Said he started at 18 when they were making tanks for the Korean war.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/region/mac...ar-long-career

He seemed very happy and as much as said, his job was his life but that he was satisfied with that. If he didn't quite find his passion, he at least embraced his work and it became his life.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2019, 05:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This guy was grandfathered into generous pension benefits, so from my point of view, he worked almost for free for many years. I guess if that was OK with him, it helped make the pensions more solvent for others.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

"Could you have worked 67 years?"

This man has worked until he's 85.

I don't know if I will be alive at 85, let alone being as healthy, both physically and mentally, as this man.

So, the answer would be no. Not even if I want to.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

NO! I like to make money but not that bad. LOL
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

at the same company, not a chance. I worked for well known names that really are not still here... but some of the names are still used.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

If I really enjoyed what I was doing, I could work well past 65. But from I’ve read, only about 1 in 10 are lucky/smart enough to find such a job/career. So asking how many years alone may not be the right question?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I can work till 85. Only if I can work half time. Not just regular half time, but taking off a couple of months at a time. I don’t know any company can accept that. Not when you’re a designer and have deadline by customers.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:07 PM   #8

I can't think of any job which I will work for 67 years. For a while, I thought being a judge in the Iron Chef show would be my dream job. Even that, I don't think I can go past 10 years.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:01 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The GM Tech Center is not like working in a regular production facility. He has UAW skilled trades classification and he’s Mensa member. He probable drove the engineers nuts!
Old 02-28-2019, 03:44 AM   #10

No.

Enough said.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:58 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

To work at a job you really enjoy is much better than retirement. I tried retirement for 5 years and no thanks. For me working at something you really enjoy is a dream retirement. Going on two years now since back at work.

I now work 7 days a week. I can't wait to get to my shop each day.

I can go and come as I please because I don't have to do this for a living. I saved for 40 plus years because I figured one day I might get old.

I started off in 1961 working in my Dad's shop. I am still there today and loving it.

I have people stop in that are retired that are bored to death. I usually send then on their way as I don't have time to entertain them.
I will be age 72 in August and because of my age I don't look too far in advance. I really don't even think about it. I take one day at a time. I still got my health and I am not overweight. I keep moving which is the secret to old age.. I hope
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:06 AM   #12
gone traveling

I could never have worked at a single job for 67 years. In my field, companies changed too fast. Some went out of business. Others were bought, sold, or merged. In most of those cases, the culture of the company or the nature of management changed such that it was no longer an appealing place to work, so I left.

I could probably have worked in the same career for 67 years, had I started out in that career at the beginning of my working days. I quite enjoyed my 25+ years in that field.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:06 AM   #13
gone traveling

Working in the GM tech center, he was probably challenged mentally on a daily basis, that he must have found stimulating (being a MENSA member), rather than tedious like most of us would have. I applaud him for his dedication, and I applaud GM for keeping him happy for 67 years.

No, I couldn't do it !
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:18 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
No.

Enough said.
+1.... a big +1
Old 02-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #15
gone traveling

There is a barber in NY, Anthony Mancinelli that has been cutting hair for the past 90 years! He started when Calvin Coolidge was president.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

NO.

Another question beyond whether or not I *could* work 67 years - - do I really *want* to work 67 years? NO.

Besides, I worked hard all my life and deserve every single day, hour, minute, even second, of my retirement (and I am enjoying all of that so much, right now). Learn to say no.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:04 PM   #17

I could work for 67 years if I kept finding new challenges. I like learning new skills and troubleshooting, so I could keep doing that...but like HillCountry, I'd also want more time to travel and do things outside of work, as that's what I'm looking forward to most about retirement. But not 40 hours a week, no, I couldn't do that for 67 years.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:12 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

No _____ way. I started full-time work when I graduated college at 21... no way I would have worked until 88 unless I had no choice.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:17 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I've met oilfield workers who tended wells (aka, "pumper") well into their 80's. The general reason was they wanted to be out of their house each day due to (being nice here) their need to spend time away from their DW.

Those kind of oilfield jobs were like tending a flock of sheep and not mentally challenging.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:34 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

NO