Join Early Retirement Today

Counter-top Dishwashers - Anyone have one ?
Old 11-16-2018, 12:26 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Counter-top Dishwashers - Anyone have one ?

They are available by special order here in the US , Have not seen any on display. This is for an elderly relative who has a very small kitchen, no room for a portable and cabinet install of even the compact models is also impractical.

I understand they are common in Asia and Europe.

Brand Reviews ?

Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 05:22 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I had one back in 2008 in a different home, and loved it; sorry don't recall the brand. They are not hard to find in the US. Here is a Black & Decker model at Amazon which I mention because I have had generally good luck with their other kitchen items.
https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...ter+dishwasher

mexexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #3

Nice! Never knew such a thing existed. I'm thinking this would go great in my bar, and it would be a sort of back-up for times when the main dishwasher is full.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Nice! Never knew such a thing existed.
+1. The link mexexpat gave has a good product description and some comments. One user hooked it up directly to their plumbing supply (and drain?) so the water line wasn't crowding the faucet/sink area. That sounds like a good way to go, if the situation allows it.
I'd likely prefer to just hand-wash things than use something like this, but lots of folks love a dishwasher, and this would be good for them.
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Never knew they existed...

Do you hook up with the sink faucet and drain down the sink?

When I was really young we had a full size portable dishwasher that we used to have to hook up to the sink... after a year or so my dad installed an under the counter one...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought it in 2008 because our first home in MX, while a brand new rehab, was built to MXN specs and the lower counter height would not accommodate a regular dishwasher. I did not want to give up counter space, so we had our carpenter frame it out so it was just below the counter. It looked great (it was stainless and modern looking)! It was a front-load not top load; top-load was more common in earlier renditions of counter-top d/w's back then.

It was installed by our plumber and drained directly as any d/w would (not into the sink).

I do remember that it took us a month of shopping to find one in MX in 2008 (found it at upscale department store Liverpool in Guadalajara) and it cost twice as much as a similar full-size d/w! Frankly we preferred it to the standard size since it's just the 2 of us and we only eat one meal at home daily.
mexexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought one for my mum years ago. Got a plumber to hook it up to water and drainage. It works well but is a bit small when she has visitors.

Hers is an Elektrolux model.

Link to Norwegian site for pics if you like:

https://www.electrolux.no/kitchen/di...her/esf2300dw/

Another option is one that goes under the counter top but is only 60% of the width. It will have room for more dishes than the counter top one. My friend has one of these.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Nice! Never knew such a thing existed.
Neither did I. DW would have loved that in our old house that did not have a dishwasher and we would have sprung for it had we known. We considered having one installed but that would have required a complete kitchen redo and even DW had to acknowledge that a dishwasher wasn't worth that much.

The current house does have a full-size dishwasher in it.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

We had one we stuck in the kids bathroom to wash baby bottles when they were little. It was fantastic and worked really well. Definitely a worthwhile purchase.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #10

Looking close at this model. It's about mid price.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Ch...D6W5/302892880

Also considering moving to a live aboard boat. Would get one for the boat too if the water usage is low. EDIT Looks like 10.5 liters of water per cycle on normal.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Looking close at this model. It's about mid price.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Ch...D6W5/302892880

Also considering moving to a live aboard boat. Would get one for the boat too if the water usage is low. EDIT Looks like 10.5 liters of water per cycle on normal.
I was pondering whether these would make sense on a boat, too. First, you have to assume you have generator or shore power. Real cruisers, especially sailors, will probably balk at that idea.

Beyond that, it's just too darn easy to wash dishes by hand, if you ask me. Even if I run the generator for an hour or two a day, and run the dishwasher then, I'd probably still never use it. I generally have the dishes done (by hand) shortly after a meal anyway.

Then there's the space it takes up. Space is almost always at a premium on a boat. A boat big enough for one of these counter top units, is probably big enough for a proper built-in unit.

The only advantage I could see would be if you had to convince a spouse who wasn't sure about living aboard.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote