Join Early Retirement Today

Counting...
Old 12-06-2005, 09:26 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Counting...

You all will appreciate this - I'm planning to RE on (about) 5/1/2006. I also work in a programming environment and there is a function called "count business days to". When I "count business days" from today to 5/1/2006, it's 100 days!

Think I'll go out to lunch!

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Counting...
Old 12-06-2005, 09:32 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
You all will appreciate this - I'm planning to RE on (about) 5/1/2006. I also work in a programming environment and there is a function called "count business days to". When I "count business days" from today to 5/1/2006, it's 100 days!
Congratulations CJ. Those last few months are pretty good as I remember. While you may not exactly be "bulletproof", you are a darned hard target to hit. And whatever crap comes your way doesn't stick the way it once did since you are saying to yourself, "This is almost over..."

Enjoy.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:35 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Way to go cj.* Just think, tomorrow you'll be down to double digits 8)
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:36 AM   #4

Yeah, something like, 99 bottles of beer on the wall...
Old 12-06-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats! 383 days for me.*
Old 12-06-2005, 09:42 AM   #6

Congrats!

I'm counting the days until my maternity leave (I know...not really the same but it's still a year off from work ). Only 58 working days to go!
Old 12-06-2005, 10:48 AM   #7

Gee, I am soooo jealous.
I had to stop counting in March. Wish I was still working.
Just think, soon you counters will also be jealous of those that are still counting.

cj, congratulations. It will feel frustrating sometimes because the time seemed to go slow but just keep looking at the light at the end of the tunnel.

Oh by the way, I also subtracted the holidays, vacation and possible "sick" or personal days. I thought of them as mini pre ER time off.

MJ
Old 12-06-2005, 10:53 AM   #8

Quote:
I also subtracted the holidays, vacation and possible "sick" or personal days
Actually, yes, I will have about 20 vacation days to use up, but I cut my boss a break and told her I would take them "after" the May 1 date.* Otherwise, I would be pretty much gone at the end of March.* ** It also extends the paycheck by a month, which will be helpful.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:08 AM   #9

Thanks for posting that* 8)
Just the thought of 99 Coronas on the wall, the floor, on the ceiling, hell anywhere, makes my day*
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:09 AM   #10

When I was about a year from retirement my DW gave me a countdown to retirement clock which I displayed prominently on my desk at work. When I retired I passed it along to the person in my office who was planning to retire next. I asked that they then pass it along when they retired. I expect it is still counting down on a desk somewhere in NASA.

Grumpy
Old 12-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #11

This might come in handy...

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcount.html
Old 12-06-2005, 03:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
I've been looking for one that I can put on our computer desktop to remind our kid how many days she has left to college. We'd use the 4th of July 2010 as "Independence Day".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:39 PM   #13

Nords,

I wouldn't count the days till your daughter leaves for College.
It will happen fast enough.

Some day you'll be counting the days till she comes home for College breaks. Life goes by fast enough.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:36 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
I wouldn't count the days till your daughter leaves for College. It will happen fast enough.
Intellectually I know that's true, but from the trenches it's really hard to visualize the peace treaty ceremony...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 12-07-2005, 05:46 AM   #15

Nords I have a friend with two daughters, he couldn't wait for them to go to college. Now he says the house is too quiet and without the girls around his wife has no one to chatter at but him.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:13 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
Now he says the house is too quiet and without the girls around his wife has no one to chatter at but him.
I can only hope...

Am I the only ER here noting the parallel between ER comments & empty nesting comments?

ER: You're too young, you'll be bored & unfulfilled, you'll miss the camaraderie, it'll never work, whatever will you do all day!

Empty nesting: You're too young, you'll be bored & unfulfilled, you'll miss her, what if she can't find work, whatever will you do all day!

We love her to death, but we'd like to see if we can do that just as much while we're watching from a distance as she makes her way in the world. (I'm pretty sure that she shares the same opinion.) When I was on active duty I was thrilled to see my old shipmates e-mail or drop in for a visit to exult in their better jobs, greater responsibility, and higher ranks. We shared their enjoyment of their success and I think we'll feel the same way with our kid.

I don't know how many times we've headed out the door for our evening walk (while she's sullenly doing homework or calming down from the latest blowup or otherwise avoiding parental contact) and realized "Hey, we could be in Maui before 9 PM!"

But she's only 13. I'm sure it'll get better when she's drinking, dating, & driving. It has to, because I'm almost positive that she's not doing any of those things now...

As for the boredom part, I'm confident that my parents-in-law will find something for us to focus our attention on. After all they're only 15 minutes away and they know how much we'll appreciate their company.

I really need to spend more time surfing.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:45 AM   #17

Oooooh she's only 13? that explains the sullen attitude and frequent blowups. It does get better, not exactly sure when but it does, that's if you live through it.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote