Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Coupons for digital converter boxes now available....
Old 01-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Coupons for digital converter boxes now available....

Feds share coupons to help TV transition (AP) by AP: Yahoo! Tech

I applied but the site is getting hammered...
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do note that the coupon expires something like 3 months after its issued, and that allegedly a lot of the existing converter boxes may sell for $80 until the coupons are all used up, then be marked down to $40-50.

What ticks me off is that I cant find (but havent looked that hard) a box that qualifies for this program that has an HDMI output so that when you're done using it as an OTA box for your old tv, you could use it as an OTA tuner on a tunerless dtv.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Do note that the coupon expires something like 3 months after its issued, and that allegedly a lot of the existing converter boxes may sell for $80 until the coupons are all used up, then be marked down to $40-50.
If we're lucky we'll get v1.0 of the converters, but we won't confirm they're buggy until 2009, and then we can spend the next few years updating them. Maybe Apple will come out with a special version for Mac users.

It's all a vast govt conspiracy. The bandwidth that's freed up by the digital conversion is expected to auction off for something around $15B while the total value of 22 million $40 coupons is $880M. 6% off. But, hey, some of the bandwidth will be used for improved emergency response services.

A huge advertising campaign must've kicked off yesteday. Our kid asked her first question about the conversion so I told her that I didn't watch TV and didn't feel it was my problem. But I lost on appeal to Mom.

So hurry for those coupons... only 21,999,998 left!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The really great part is that these all come with an IR remote control, so now I can get rid of that wire from the remote control to the tv!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #5

Quote:
That's what I was worried about also....
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I think I will wait a bit.... still have over a year...

I can not find any converter boxes online that are cheap.... and I would think that they would make one in the $40 to $60 range... I hope that will change over the next few months now that there are coupons.
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I think next year sometime you'll be able to buy a $50-75 box that is of better quality, has an HDMI connector...orrrr...a DVR or DVD player that has the tuner built in for a nominally higher price.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

This is what you can buy with the coupons:

DigitalSTREAM D2A1D10
DigitalSTREAM D2A1D20
Zenith DTT900
Magnavox TB100MW9
Philco TB150HH9
Sansonic FT300A
Philco TB100HH9
MicroGEM MG2000
Sansonic FT300RT
MaxMedia MMDTVB03
Apex DT1001
ECHOSTAR TR-40
AMTC AT-2016
Old 01-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
Feds share coupons to help TV transition (AP) by AP: Yahoo! Tech

I applied but the site is getting hammered...
Got my online application accepted and confirmed yesterday before lunch.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This doesn't seem like good usage of our tax money, if companies can afford to mark down the converter boxes. It nearly seems like a subsidy of those companies.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Is is sort of interesting, isnt it?

- Govt gets to sell off the old bandwidth for billions, makes sure to lead off with this by noting that they'll bravely offer up a small part for fire/police/rescue.

- Converter manufacturers get to unload a bunch of cheap converters that have no useful purpose past an aging televisions lifespan and have >100% profit margins on what would otherwise be a slim margin product, which to be fair means a ton of companies will make them, giving people a lot of choice...errr...in how they're sporked.

- Consumers think they're getting a great deal, because who doesnt like getting 50% off of something?

- Government protects the makers of cheap low end tuners by limiting what you can buy with the coupons.

- Converter makers get to come back and sell the same product a second time, this time with an HDMI connector in it, to the OTA customers who buy cheap tunerless DTV's.

- Taxpayers foot the bill but we feel okay about it because the coupons are supposed to go to poorer people in rural areas with rabbit ear televisions from the 1970's that cant afford a new tv or tuner box. Nevermind that 70% of the coupons will be snatched up by well to do people, many of which have cable or satellite.

- Google gets to buy a big hunk of the bandwidth opened up, creates nearly seamless national wireless network that allows free wireless access and applications for all, funneled through the google network and its advertising of course, effectively supplanting the television industry as most people migrate from broadcast analog to broadband digital with all entertainment and information being piped wirelessly to their house.

Oh yeah, and then you'll need a new converter box for that.

And wish you'd bought some GOOG at $200 a share.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I just might get one now. I got a 'taste' of what DTV has to offer within range of Chicago when I 'tested' the HDTV the kids bought for the in-laws. Perfect reception, added channels - maybe worth the money?

Of course, we will be viewing in Standard Def on our old sets, but a $40 investment seems OK to get a little more out of our current set. We could always move the box to other sets as we upgrade to HDTVs (probably not until the old ones break - but maybe not, that HDTV is sweet).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote