Coyotes

When Canadian geese fly over Quebec do they have to honk in French?

Canada Geese are a problem all over, we have a zillion of them here.

I recall, in Toronto, maybe 50 years ago, someone suggested cooking them and providing meals for the homeless.

The perpetually offended nixed that idea on the grounds that it was somehow 'demeaning' - the homeless, on the other hand, were all for it.
DB neighborhood with an HOA had a goose round up. They (a service HOA hired) came in with nets early in the morning. My SIL was frantic, did not know what was going on. The rumor was, they gave the meat to the homeless.

I recall, in Toronto, maybe 50 years ago, someone suggested cooking them and providing meals for the homeless.

The perpetually offended nixed that idea on the grounds that it was somehow 'demeaning' - the homeless, on the other hand, were all for it.

They did a round up in Denver this summer. Raw ground goose was available at the food pantries.

I live in New Mexico and there are cinderblock walls between the suburban houses. People will see the coyotes walking along the tops of the walls at night. I imagine they are looking for little dogs and cats that were left out, or maybe it's just the pet food.

Last edited:
There are a lot of coyotes here. This morning bow hunting I seen a couple of them. Evening at dusk I hear them all the time.

Giant Canadian geese were almost extinct in the 1950s. If not for a small flock in Rochester, MN, which they all now descend from, they would already be gone.

DB neighborhood with an HOA had a goose round up. They (a service HOA hired) came in with nets early in the morning. My SIL was frantic, did not know what was going on. The rumor was, they gave the meat to the homeless.
Goose is even better when food is hard to come by.

Geese in Denver killed by city to reduce population, meat donated to charity

The "capture and euthanize" program hopes to, among other things, reduce the over 5,000 pounds of goose droppings that accumulate daily in Denver

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...duce-population-meat-donated-charity-n1024966

Set the playback speed to 0.25 and I see only 3. All the moving bits end up having eyes attached to them.

Did you try watching with a slower playback like I did?

We have coyotes, hogs, alligators, deer, armadillos, and beavers within 5 miles of the house along with the usual trash pandas, skunks, squirrels, possums, foxes, and what not. I don't think we have porcupines though.

When we lived in the same town and used to meet up from time to time, you never told me about the pandas. Did you used to grow bamboo to attract them? :)

you never told me about the pandas. Did you used to grow bamboo to attract them? :)

Bamboo? That would be panda-ring to them.

^Seriously: You should have seen bamboo growing on some of your walks. It's certainly in the neighborhood along those paths.

^Seriously: You should have seen bamboo growing on some of your walks. It's certainly in the neighborhood along those paths.

So true. I was just as rubbish spotting koalas while walking through eucalyptus woods.

I see four, and the one on the far right is either scratching himself or having an epileptic seizure.

Our fox routinely poops on our front doormat.

yt8OTs3.png

Set the playback speed to 0.25 and I see only 3. All the moving bits end up having eyes attached to them.

Did you try watching with a slower playback like I did?

We have coyotes, hogs, alligators, deer, armadillos, and beavers within 5 miles of the house along with the usual trash pandas, skunks, squirrels, possums, foxes, and what not. I don't think we have porcupines though.

The fourth is only the body with no eyes off to the right of the other three and staring back at the other three. Definitely 4...I wouldn't be surprised if a 5th were near bye. I cannot stand the sound after they make a kill in my back yard. Google Coyote kill sound and you will regret it.

We live in Portland Metro area a quarter mile from the junction of two major freeways. We however have a awesome back yard backing up to a green space with kind of a swamp and many trees. We'll occasionally see a coyote on the street but at night I would say maybe 8-10 will start howling every few days. Assume it's either some high pitched sound but my wife thinks they howl after a kill. Needless to say anyone with a cat brings them in at night.

Back
Top Bottom