Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
CPA/Accountant rates
Old 02-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
ScooterGuy's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 150
CPA/Accountant rates

Somehow, very strangely, our accountant charged a fee that was almost exactly what our refund should have been.

We are beginning to think that his rates are a bit steep, when--using our well-organized and very good records--he entered totals into his computer program, and out popped the Federal and State returns, within a half-hour meeting.

For those who use a CPA to do your taxes, what hourly or flat rates do you pay for an ER return (both partners retired)?

ScooterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,020
I use an enrolled agent, not a CPA. $175 for married filing jointly + LLC. Plus, he's always answered all of our questions throughout the year with no problem / no charge.

edit: I would expect to pay between $800-1,500 for a CPA around here...

Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
retire@40's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,670
Originally Posted by ScooterGuy View Post
...For those who use a CPA to do your taxes, what hourly or flat rates do you pay for an ER return (both partners retired)?
I don't know what an ER return is since being early retired means absolutely nothing when is comes to the complexity of a tax return.

For an average tax return, be prepared to pay a CPA between $150 to $350.
No man is free who is not master of himself. --- Epictetus
Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think). --- Guy Lombardo
retire@40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Referral for an Accountant in N. Colorado Jake46 Life after FIRE 2 10-27-2007 07:56 AM
Can anyone recommend a tax accountant in NYC? Olav23 FIRE and Money 3 02-13-2007 10:48 PM
MOVED: Can anyone recommend a tax accountant in NYC? Nords Hi, I am... 0 02-13-2007 03:16 PM
Lottery Winner to become Accountant TromboneAl FIRE and Money 30 02-24-2006 03:17 PM
CPA versus Turbotax bearkeley FIRE and Money 70 02-07-2006 02:35 PM

» Quick Links

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.