Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yipee-Ki-O View Post
I stuck a box of Black Box cabernet (sans the box) in the bottom of my backpack on a recent trip. A little heavy to begin with, but the load got lighter every day! Nothing like walking a few miles to enhance the taste of a wine...it was easily a 90+ points wine when far enough back in the woods....

Heh, I picked up a cube of Box Star Chardonnay yesterday for our camping trip this weekend. I am sure it will taste a lot better if it rains a lot and we get stuck in the trailer with the kids...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

okay must be a MN thing then.

I'm guessing your gas stations can sell liquor and kegs too right? Our can't - only weak sauce unless you have a liquor store license.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pksublime View Post
I'm guessing your gas stations can sell liquor and kegs too right?
Beer & wine only. Have to go to a liquor store to get the hard stuff...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:01 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And some counties don't allow liquor stores!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

...or the sale of any alcoholic beverages at all. Most of these dry counties are located in East TX and do to make it tough for Bubba to get a six pack. Of course he'll find a way - nothing will stand in his way when it comes to "Hold my beer and watch this!"

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
... "Hold my beer and watch this!"
Including the steering wheel!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sheesh, TX liquor laws are crazy and convoluted...
Old 06-27-2008, 11:22 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sheesh, TX liquor laws are crazy and convoluted...
How about Ohio? Used to be state run liquor stores. Then they decided to get out of the booze business. But legislatures being what they are, they compromised. Last I was there, the liquor stores were privately run, but the state technically owned the actual booze, set the prices, and gave the store owner a small cut. Bear in mind, this is also a state where drive through liquor stores (!) are pretty common.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #29

Michigan... grocery stores sell everything. Beer, wine, hard stuff, no problem. In my county, the high schools let out for November 15th (first day of rifle season for deer hunters). I was a bag boy at the local supermarket... most orders for the days before the 15th were $600-$1000. Biggest one I bagged was $1900 and it included 5 carts of beer and quite a few steaks. Basically, deer season is a 1-2 week vacation for the guys up there. Actually bagging a buck is secondary.

Oh, and you couldn't buy before noon on Sunday. Always a treat explaining to the winos that they had to wait another 15 minutes or we'd get in trouble. Also, you had to be 21 (don't think it was 18) to ring an alcohol sale. Made it absurd at times... cashier would have to call someone over just to swipe the whiskey over the barcode reader.

Minnesota. We have city-run liquor stores. The grocery stores sell 3.2 beer (3.2% alcohol). There's a big push here by the grocery stores to be able to sell wine.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

In Florida ,the grocery stores sell wine and beer . You have to go to a liquor store to by the hard stuff .
Old 06-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Minnesota. We have city-run liquor stores. The grocery stores sell 3.2 beer (3.2% alcohol). There's a big push here by the grocery stores to be able to sell wine.
Here in NJ, a liquor store can sell anything. AFAIK, nobody else can sell anything, and it is tough for the restaurants to get a license (leading to many BYO places). There is even a rule that keeps any individual or corporation from having more than a few liquor licenses, so chains are pretty much a non-starter. So we have weird things going on, like Whole Foods registering a couple of their entire stores as liquor stores just so they can sell wine, but not able to get licenses for the rest of their outlets in the state because they can't have that many licenses.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Heh, I picked up a cube of Box Star Chardonnay yesterday for our camping trip this weekend. I am sure it will taste a lot better if it rains a lot and we get stuck in the trailer with the kids...
I'm sure it will be delicious...and of great medicinal value should you wind up in that predicament!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #33

The problem with screw top and box wine was sealing them properly. Now they have the method worked out properly. Quite a few European wines have screw tops verse cork . They taste the same to me.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Only some municipalities are city run (Edina and Eden Prairie as far as I know).

On drive-through stores...
Do they put it in your trunk for you? Since alcohol can't be in the cabin of the vehicle, they would have to or they would be liable for your crime. Similar to serving a drunk at a bar.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Nothing like walking a few miles to enhance the taste of a wine...it was easily a 90+ points wine when far enough back in the woods....
I would submit that in that environment, anything wet with alcohol in it will taste good....

WV also has the Sunday "not before 1:00" law. What a PITA to have to delay my grocery run if it falls on that day. Beer & wine only, hard stuff only at the liquor stores.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I stuck a box of Black Box cabernet (sans the box) in the bottom of my backpack on a recent trip. A little heavy to begin with, but the load got lighter every day! Nothing like walking a few miles to enhance the taste of a wine...it was easily a 90+ points wine when far enough back in the woods....
Hey, I used to drink wine in the woods too! Of course, I was 16 at the time...

Mike D.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Since alcohol can't be in the cabin of the vehicle, they would have to or they would be liable for your crime.
In my state, it's legal to have alcohol in the cabin, so long as the container isn't open.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

What a coincidence to see this thread updated!

I bought a Bota Box 2005 Shiraz a while back. We had some on a week night, hmmmm, OK, not great, but not bad. IIRC, I paid $16 for a 3 liter box = four 750mL bottles, so equiv to a $4 bottle of wine. I thought it was better than a $4 bottle, so a good value, but nothing to get excited about.

Had some more tonight, probably 3 weeks after first opening, and we actually thought it was much better. The danger of having wine 'on tap' is that you go back for more, so plz escuze hte sssssplelink airours .

So my informal survey is - not bad, a good value, nice to have on hand. You can do better if you find a good value on an $8-$12 Shiraz, but this will fit the bill for a week night, or for less discriminating company. OTOH, the lamb chops DW cooked up were soooooo good, they deserved a good $12 Aussie Shiraz. JMH (and slightly tipsy) O.

-ERD50

PS/edit/add: this is one reason I am resistant to get into kegging for my home-brew beer. It is sooooo tempting to go for 'just a little more'... I'm certain I'd gain 50 lbs in a year.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Can you give me a rating of Bolack Box Shiraz?
I am a fan of Shiraz. Box is usually just fine thanks. I have a wine cooler/fridge that holds 90 bottles and am debating what I can use it for once I crack the corks on the last case of Silver Oak...
Old 08-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #40

In AZ any store that wants to can get a license to sell. Every Circle K, AM/PM, and 7-11 convenience store can sell beer, wine and alcohol. All of the grocery stores as well. No Sunday sales before 10am I think it is.