Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a box of Burgundy that is super. And it gets even better after the 3rd glassful.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
I am a fan of Shiraz. Box is usually just fine thanks. I have a wine cooler/fridge that holds 90 bottles and am debating what I can use it for once I crack the corks on the last case of Silver Oak...
If the boxed Shiraz is OK by you, keep it in your wine fridge. Just because it is in a box/bag doesn't mean you don't need to keep it in a controlled environment. The bag just keeps the oxygen out once opened. Cool temps will still keep it in good shape until you drink it.

Our basement generally stays under 70F , and low 60's in winter. Not bad for wine, but not ideal.

-ERD500

Old 08-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If the boxed Shiraz is OK by you, keep it in your wine fridge. Just because it is in a box/bag doesn't mean you don't need to keep it in a controlled environment. The bag just keeps the oxygen out once opened. Cool temps will still keep it in good shape until you drink it.

Our basement generally stays under 70F , and low 60's in winter. Not bad for wine, but not ideal.
We had our black box cabernet at room temperature for almost 3 weeks (entertaining, no room in the fridge or small wine cooler). No problem - in fact it mellowed a bit. Perhaps it's because the amount of air left in the "bladder" is so minimal between uses.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:14 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
We had our black box cabernet at room temperature for almost 3 weeks (entertaining, no room in the fridge or small wine cooler). No problem - in fact it mellowed a bit. Perhaps it's because the amount of air left in the "bladder" is so minimal between uses.
The effects of O2 on wine/beer are definitely a matter of both time and temperature.

Some negative effects are a function of temperature, so keeping the wine/beer cool is generally a good thing. But the bag limiting the amount of O2 will help minimize some of the temperature issues.

If we are talking just a few weeks, it is probably more important that it just never saw temperature extremes. A few weeks at room temp, might be a bit like a few months at cellar temps - it could mellow a bit.

I'll have to try the Black Box Cabernet. DW is not a big fan of the bigger wines, so it would take a while for me to work through 3L of cabernet on my own. But it won't be long and stew and roast season will come to Northern, IL, but I need to get started on some beers for winter. Beef roast and a Porter, or beef roast and Cabernet? Decisions, decisions, decisions...

-ERD50
Old 08-19-2008, 10:22 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Back to the OP, I was recommended the black box by a certain bunny about a year ago, and I've found consistently that the first pour is somehow harsh - maybe all the sulfites are in the spout or collected on the bottom, and 4 bottles of sulfites is enough to make a good collection? I'm going to try inverting the box a few times to see if it makes a difference. But yes, big fans of the Cab and Chard, love the fact that it lasts for weeks - but rarely lasts for more than two.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:44 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Shake it first. Might be some sediment in the bottom.

The box reds really dont get any exposure to any air, light or short term heat (cardboard is a good insulator). I've found that putting about a foot of air between the glass and the spout helps with a little aeration.

Still remembering the newspaper guy who wanted to test the 'law' about keeping bottles from excess heat who loaded his trunk up with a few cases and then drove around with them for a week or two. He claimed the results were far improved over the kept-cool test 'control' bottles.

I think all he did was a little rapid aging on the wine. Had he left them in there a month he'd have had different results.

So, fast turnover in the box wine, low heat, no light, no air at all...aging from the 'bottler' (boxer?) to the glass is far less than the average bottle...which you pour from the top...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:33 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have one of those rubber corks that you can suck the air out of the opened bottle. With screw tops, are people resorting to the inert gas spray? Never liked that as much.