Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2016, 11:31 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I took in a box of rusted and dull Craftsman screwdrivers and traded them in for all new ones. The salesman initially said that rusty and dull did not qualify, but I had sneakily printed off a copy of the Craftsman guarantee which plainly states "if at any time you are not satisfied, free replacement". By this time a bunch of salespeople had gathered including the manager. They almost wept as I carted off the new ones.

I've traded in numerous split sockets with no grief. They will always try to give you a crappy replacement ratchet if you let them. During slow times I think they make the staff rebuild them.
One could argue people like you are one of the reasons warranties like this are rare and perhaps companies that offer them are struggling.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyward1 View Post
One could argue people like you are one of the reasons warranties like this are rare and perhaps companies that offer them are struggling.
One could argue that, but in the case of Sears, you would be wrong. See my earlier post about how Sears ran a fraudulent business in their auto repair shops and how they gave away their position of leadership in catalog (now online) selling, not to mention their failed business model for the brick and mortar stores.

And by the way, I was one of those people that they ripped off with their auto service center schemes.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
From what I remember the cheap Sears tools were called "Companion".

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Looks like we're both right; except it was Dunlap not Dunlop!

A brand of Sears, Roebuck & Co., made by Atlas Press, Central Specialty (later King-Seeley), Double A Products, and others. The Dunlap brand was first used in 1941, replacing the earlier Companion brand. It was reportedly named after the head buyer in the hardware department of Sears Roebuck.

Sears | Dunlap - History | VintageMachinery.org
Old 01-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
All the Sears stores in my area have shut their doors, including in one of the largest malls in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
We have a mall here from 1967 that has 3 anchor stores, Macy's (formerly O'Neils/May Co/Kauffmann's), JC Penney and Sears. The Macy's store will be closing in a few months and our Sears store has been a "sad Sears" for years. The JC Penney went very quiet when they went through their "we don't have sales anymore" phase. I haven't been back in a long time, but I'm not a shopper anyways.

When our sons were young and growing rapidly I did most of their clothes shopping at the Sears and JC Penney. There was a good kids shoe store in the mall and a good selection of other typical mall stores. It was a nice mall with a good selection of basic stores and some amenities like a food court and movie theater. Sad to see it changing, but time passes and shopping sure has evolved.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
One could argue that, but in the case of Sears, you would be wrong. See my earlier post about how Sears ran a fraudulent business in their auto repair shops
And by the way, I was one of those people that they ripped off with their auto service center schemes.
I am truly sorry you were ripped off but if we all sink to lowest common denominator we will turn into Brazil or Mexico.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
I am truly sorry you were ripped off but if we all sink to lowest common denominator we will turn into Brazil or Mexico.
I have no regrets, but thanks for the moral guidance.

And Brazil and Mexico are lovely places with wonderful people.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #47

Quote:
I have no regrets, but thanks for the moral guidance.

And Brazil and Mexico are lovely places with wonderful people.

I was just thinking the same thing. Nicely worded!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

We should all keep in mind that when a product comes with a warranty the cost of that warranty is built into the price of the item (i.e. Craftsman wrench). You pay for the warranty at purchase time. If you never use (take advantage of) what you paid for, that's your decision.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
We should all keep in mind that when a product comes with a warranty the cost of that warranty is built into the price of the item (i.e. Craftsman wrench). You pay for the warranty at purchase time. If you never use (take advantage of) what you paid for, that's your decision.
Exactly so. It is a calculated risk by the seller that the additional sales will offset the cost of returns. I prefer Costco and LL Bean, for example, because of their great, no questions asked return policies. While I don't abuse that privilege, I don't hesitate to return something if it truly disappoints.

Interestingly, I once bought a Craftsman yard rake with a lifetime warranty and when it broke, I was given one that only had a one year warranty. I asked where the lifetime warranty that I had paid for went, the Sears clerk informed me I had not purchased the warranty, Sears had given it to me and therefore had the right to take it back.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interestingly, I once bought a Craftsman yard rake with a lifetime warranty and
when it broke, I was given one that only had a one year warranty. I asked where
the lifetime warranty that I had paid for went, the Sears clerk informed me I
had not purchased the warranty, Sears had given it to me and therefore had the
right to take it back.
The limits of marketing. Ya gotta love it!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:25 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
... anybody remember Montgomery Ward?
Yes. Fortunately, I am still able to remember that we replaced our Montgomery Ward (Signature model) refrigerator several months ago.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

As a DiY car mechanic I've noticed a recent trend in "lifetime" warranties. Unlike Craftsman, which once aspired to build tools so good that they'd never need to be replaced, some builders of automotive components are making parts so cheaply that you'll never want another one.

After the second or third warranty replacement and the accompanying cost or trouble of installation, the buyer of the substandard part gives up on going the cheap route and springs for a quality component. The bottom-feeder manufacturer, meanwhile, has computed a high warranty replacement rate into his profit margin and comes out a winner.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:09 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
As a DiY car mechanic I've noticed a recent trend in "lifetime" warranties. Unlike Craftsman, which once aspired to build tools so good that they'd never need to be replaced, some builders of automotive components are making parts so cheaply that you'll never want another one.

After the second or third warranty replacement and the accompanying cost or trouble of installation, the buyer of the substandard part gives up on going the cheap route and springs for a quality component. The bottom-feeder manufacturer, meanwhile, has computed a high warranty replacement rate into his profit margin and comes out a winner.

Well, the thing I noticed in the free lifetime warranty items on cars is that they do NOT include replacing the part... IOW, the labor cost so much that the part can be free and they still make money....