Cravings

You are fortunate Ha. Quite some years ago I got very ill and vomited anything I ate and was incredibly nauseous. I finally had to be fed through a tube for about a month and then I recovered. After that starvation type experience I started to have incredible food cravings. And I was always hungry, never full. After a few years passed I started to feel full again when I ate, but I still get amazing cravings. I told my doctor that once but she had nothing to say about it.

Michael Phelps dove into the pool 17 times over the nine days of competition at the

Beijing Olympics and walked away with a record-breaking 8 gold medals!

During the Olympics the world got to know a lot about Phelps,

including the way he has given new meaning to the term “breakfast of champions”.

Every time the 23 year old sits down to eat he consumes a
mind-boggling 4000 calories! That’s 12000 calories a day!

For breakfast alone this champion devours:

* 3 fried egg sandwiches (with loads of cheese, onions and mayo)
* 2 cups of coffee
* a 5-egg omelet (with more cheese)
* 1 bowl of grits
* 3 slices of French Toast topped with powdered sugar
* and 3 chocolate chip pancakes!

I’D JUMP IN THE POOL 17 TIMES A DAY IF IT MEANT I COULD EAT HALF OF THAT!

I don't envy you "normal" people. I could eat all of that and not gain a pound even though I do absolutely nothing athletic. I've eaten an entire 4meat Tombstone pizza for lunch every day for the last 6 days at over 1500 calories each. Also, in the last couple days, i've eaten 10 kit kat bars(they were on sale) and 30 chewy chips ahoy cookies plus a package of pringles potato chips and I just weighed myself and i'm the exact same as last week(at least 30 pounds under ideal weight). That's even though I did nothing but sleep, eat, watch tv, and surf the net the last 3 days.

I've done experiments with myself where one month i'll eat upwards of 150,000 calories and then another month i'd eat under 50,000 calories and, with no difference in calories burned, i'll always weigh the exact same. I'm a freak!

You are fortunate Ha. Quite some years ago I got very ill and vomited anything I ate and was incredibly nauseous. I finally had to be fed through a tube for about a month and then I recovered. After that starvation type experience I started to have incredible food cravings. And I was always hungry, never full. After a few years passed I started to feel full again when I ate, but I still get amazing cravings. I told my doctor that once but she had nothing to say about it.

Martha, that sounds horrible! Glad you recoverd well. I guess a few cravings are not so bad compared with what you went through.

Ha

How do you deal with cravings?
Eliminating cravings in our house required a vasectomy!

Drink water until you're full.
-
SO's mom always said, "you're not hungry, you're thirsty." That works for a while.
When I can't stop eating mid-morning & early afternoon, it's because I'm thirsty. I've learned to have a few cups of water a couple hours after breakfast (coffee doesn't count) and then again in the mid afternoon.

That's the logical solution. The problem is that I don't actually [-]regain consciousness[/-] realize that I'm binge grazing until I've already consumed 300-400 calories.

Quite some years ago I got very ill and vomited anything I ate and was incredibly nauseous. I finally had to be fed through a tube for about a month and then I recovered.
By any chance do you still have a gallbladder? A shipmate had this problem and the doctors spent several weeks of [-]trial & error[/-] elimination to identify the likely remaining cause. After gallbladder removal he was immediately eating, holding it down, and regaining some of the 25 lost pounds. I've always wondered if that would have eventually worked itself out without surgery.

I don't know how you didn't give into the craving. We have the best pizza place here and I am ususally there 3 times a week. If they ever went public on the NYSE....I would put all my money in it!
I have no willpower when it comes to pizza and ice-cream (mint choc chip with hot fudge) YUMMY!

Maybe that's why I get insane food cravings. Periodically I will get sick or it will get too hot out and I will stop eating hardly anything for a month at a time (and lose 5-10 lbs as a result since my metabolism doesn't seem to understand the concept of slowing down).

But the food cravings I normally have? Forget about trying to avoid them. I would literally rather starve than eat something other than what I am craving or I will keep eating and eating until something satisfies the craving.:rant:

I have just learned to give in a little (eat the slice, not the whole pizza) whenever I have my cravings.

You have no idea what craving is all about till you try to give up smoking.
5th day into it and i'm in full craving mode all the time.

paging bbamI.....paging bbamI to the forum, please!

Eliminating cravings in our house required a vasectomy!

Nords, ya killin' me...........:D:D I don't see how that ELIMINATES cravings as it should eliminate excuses........;)

Jambo-start these three routines right now:

1) Put a rubber band around your wrist. Every time you get the craving snap the band hard.
2)Follow that with at least 12 oz of cold water with a little lemon juice.
3)Take a 30 min walk at least once/day, concentrate on deep breathing.

Good luck...

I don't know how you didn't give into the craving. We have the best pizza place here and I am ususally there 3 times a week. If they ever went public on the NYSE....I would put all my money in it!
I have no willpower when it comes to pizza and ice-cream (mint choc chip with hot fudge) YUMMY!
-
We have pizza delivered from a place like that. But tried to eat there once and thought it didn't look clean enough. So when we think we are too fat for pizza, we imagine the look of the place and the sweat that must fall onto the pizzas. But other times we just go ahead and order: sausage, mushrooms, extra garlic, extra sweat. Mmmm.

One of the reasons you ERd was because life it too short.
If you found yourself in a car crash today, hanging upside down from your seat belt with your life draining away would you think: "I'm glad I didn't have that pizza."

And if the seat belt breaks from the extra pounds?

If you found yourself on a gurney, following a massive heart attack, and you're barely conscious, and you can't respond, but you hear Greg whispering "I love you honey, please don't die," are you going to think "I wish I hadn't had all that pizza"?

--------------

This sometimes works for me: distraction. Go do something that you enjoy and/or that requires a lot of concentration.

1) Put a rubber band around your wrist. Every time you get the craving snap the band hard.
2)Follow that with at least 12 oz of cold water with a little lemon juice.
3)Take a 30 min walk at least once/day, concentrate on deep breathing.
After step #1, do I really want to know where to put the water/lemon juice of step #2?

This reminds me of the Cheers gag where Cliff Claven asked for electro-shock therapy to modify his bar behavior...

Another thing that occasionally works. Say this:

Nothing tastes as good a thin feels.

paging bbamI.....paging bbamI to the forum, please!

Ooooh, I saw this before I headed out the door. Take a look jambo...I quit April 13th, 2007 (yes, it was a Frday :p) Cold turkey...haven't smoked since. Believe me, I know it's hard. You can do it.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/want-to-stop-smoking-26834.html

-
So when we think we are too fat for pizza, we imagine the look of the place and the sweat that must fall onto the pizzas. But other times we just go ahead and order: sausage, mushrooms, extra garlic, extra sweat. Mmmm.
Thsi is similar to what a kid does when he thinks of nuns when he has been looking down some girl's blouse and he has to go to the blackboard. Trouble is, usually even nuns can't kill it. Like you say, if you are hungry, bring on the BO! :)

Ha

How do you deal with cravings?

cravings? on the first crave i'll drive 30 miles, round trip, for a tufo dish at pei wei's and about a 70-mile round trip for a decent slice of pizza (of course i also bring a large pie home with me when i do).

so, obviously, i'm not qualified to answer this question.

life is too much of a tease already. why give it even more power to frustrate yourself?

give in to the cookie. give in to the pizza. come to the dark side. mooohaha

Hang in there! I quit cold turkey on August 22nd, 1977 after smoking two packs a day for over a decade. It was SO worth it to quit. To me, the tough part (after the first week) was not relapsing at stressful moments, but that temptation ends too after maybe a year or two.

What worked for me? A case of Pep-o-Mint lifesavers, and knowing that I wanted to quit before getting pregnant so my unborn baby wouldn't be exposed to nicotine.

Yes, this is the baby who now is 30 years old and dyed her hair pink last summer. :rolleyes:

A few years ago I lost 50 lbs in 6 months. When cravings occurred, I would munch sour/dill pickles or cold sauerkraut. Worked 75% of the time. If not I went with the only three bites rule.
2fer

Thsi is similar to what a kid does when he thinks of nuns when he has been looking down some girl's blouse and he has to go to the blackboard.

nun.jpg

-
We have pizza delivered from a place like that. But tried to eat there once and thought it didn't look clean enough. So when we think we are too fat for pizza, we imagine the look of the place and the sweat that must fall onto the pizzas. But other times we just go ahead and order: sausage, mushrooms, extra garlic, extra sweat. Mmmm.

I thought New Jersey pizza was just naturally greasy now I find out it was sweat ! Thanks Cuppa Joe !

Back
Top Bottom