Crazy friend has talked me into his latest idea

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
So we are going to submit a video tape application for The Amazing Race. :eek: He feels with his "street smarts" and my "book smarts" and that we are both in o.k. shape (he coaches a high school track and field team and runs with them, I do my triathlon thing) that we'd have a shot. Problem is, what to say/do in the tape? I'm stumped. "Hi, were Bob and Joe and we wanna race, uh, cuz it's cool!" is probably not going to be selected from the 1 million entries. Any ideas? Normally I would post something this off the wall (yes I would), but I'm at a loss at this point...

Well . . . I'll supply a letter of recommendation if you think that'll help. I know absolutely nothing about The Amazing Race, but I'm willing to swear that you are perfect for it. And I can get Bubba the black lab to bark his agreement with my assesment if you need to bring out the big guns. :)

Laurence said:
So we are going to submit a video tape application for The Amazing Race.
Let's see, what's worked for other successful exhibitionists reality-show entrants?

Nudity (or at least cleavage of some form), race, gender (or ambiguity regarding same), sexual orientation (or ambiguity), gross obesity, in-your-face hostility, dreadlocks, shaved heads, hard-core military veterans, body builders (or at least hardbodies), tattoos, piercings, divorced, homeless, addicts, rehabs.  Combinations of all of the above.

You wouldn't by any chance be a couple of younger fully-employed bright eager middle-class short-haired white guys with spouses & families, would you?  That would be most unusual... although I'm not sure how any company could hope to offer you any endorsement contracts.

Has anyone seen a book like "Reality Shows for Dummies" that would provide helpful hints?  Or is Laurence going to have to wade through the DVD boxed sets of every reality show from the last decade?

Edited to add piercings. Geez, what other important characteristics am I forgetting?

You could be like the reality TV 'God Warrior' I saw on Leno several weeks back. I don't know what show she was from but she created a buzz. L and his bud - We are a mission from God - ala Blues Brothers.

I'm a big fan of the Amazing Race, and I've seen most of them. I'd say be very over the top with your personalities - be very extroverted, talk a lot. Talk about your friendship with each other (or how you want to develop that friendship on the race because your workaday lives leave little time to really do any male bonding).

Emphasis your competitiveness, your athleticism. Show clips of you triathloning, and him coaching/running. If you do any adventure sports (rock climbing/kayaking/whitewater rafting/hiking/skiing) maybe show clips of that.

You'll need to present more than your athletic side. Show the producers that you are three dimensional. Include something that makes you personal/unique (something audiences can identify with, something that makes you human). Maybe a particular challenge you have overcome. For you, maybe talk about your daughter and your experiences with her. Tell them that if you win, your wife will be able to afford to stay at home and take care of your special needs child, which would mean a lot to both of you (play up how winning the race would be a life-changing experience for you).

Most of the tryout tapes I've seen aren't too professionally produced, so I'd focus on content over production quality. If this helps you get on the Race and you win, I expect a small cut of the $1,000,000 ;)

Pretend you're gay, if you are gay, you have a real shot. :rant:

What nords said.

The guys looking at your tape should want to pause it several times, look at each other in awe and say "These guys are going to make really, reallllly good tv".

Unorthodox, controversial, weird and funny.

How about both of you get breast implants and then show them off on the tape? Or both of you dress up like women...I dont think there have been any transvestite reality show teams.

wildcat said:
You could be like the reality TV 'God Warrior' I saw on Leno several weeks back.  I don't know what show she was from but she created a buzz.  L and his bud - We are a mission from God - ala Blues Brothers.

You're tamperin' with the dark side

Attachments

• MargaretPerrin.jpg
    MargaretPerrin.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 151
Just please, for the love of god and all thats holy, do not publish any photos of her naked and getting into a hot tub.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! We are going to film it this weekend. I was going to talk about my daughter, but I was worried it would be pandering. But it sounds like over the top is not only recomended, it's required! This will probably be the last you hear about this, but if they call us up for a second interview, I'll revive the thread.

FWIW, most reality t.v. bugs me, but the amazing race looks like it would be, well, amazing. I love travel, not that you get time to see much on the show!

Laurence, you would be a great contestant on the Amazing Race!!! DH and I have watched all the episodes, and I tell him we should go on the show as the "older couple." :)
Let us know what you did for your taping!!!

Funny you should mention it, but a friend of mine and me tried last year for the show....

Sent in a tape that we tried to show how great we were.. that we LIKED to travel etc. etc... but you never know how they choose thier people... you can always look at some on the show and say "I would be better than THAT"...

Good luck and let us know how it went....

And for the people who has not tried, it is a ONE shot deal... you can not ever submit another tape with the same two people. You can choose another partner and try again, but not the same...

Better being the clearly debatable operative word! ;)

Yes, the fabulous microsoft ad thats 10x louder than anything else and is fully capable of waking a baby that was napping. Thanks Microsoft! That clever "loud" thing always works when nothing else will...

Oh, I LOVE the Amazing Race. A friend and I thought about applying this time, but the tape is due January 13th and we can't get together by then (he lives overseas). I could apply with my husband, but we'd kill each other on the trip. :D

I love the Amazing Race also. I very seldom miss it. I would also emphasize how his students would be watching and you want to show them how "older" people (which is what you are to students) can still go after their dreams and compete! Hopefully, you two have been great friends for many many years and I would emphasize that also. If you do get on the show please let us know. It would be such great fun watching it and hoping that you would win!!!

Dreamer

I watched it a few time, mrs () is an avid watcher. After 2 episodes in 2 different seasons, I had the observation that the results were almost entirely how well the couple got along and had a complete random influence. IIRC in some cases they're given the choice to skip a 'challenge' and take some kind of penalty or to do one of two different challenges without knowing enough about them to make a valid choice. Some challenges are really best 'skipped' and in some cases one of the challenges was way harder than the other.

Not knowing, a whimsical decision might end up making one couple a sure winner vs putting them completely out of contention.

So I would have liked it better if it was pure competition. And they should mess with the people like they do on survivor to help them along with wanting to kill each other. That'd be good tv.

I am still not convinced it isn't rigged, when they got the AA Jet that had pulled away to come back and let the other contestants on, they stole it from Rob and Amber.

Laurence:

Here are a few ideas for your casting tape:

1) You and your friend are NORMAL, and the reason that you should be selected is that you guys stand for the ordinary guys out there.

2) If selected and you win the 1 million You both plan to donate 50% of the award to the most needy people or cause (like an orphanage or hospital) you get to see on the AR.  In other words you add a subplot that you guys are traveling the world looking for some worthy cause that if you win, their lives are forever changed for the better.

3) You and your friend want to promote the ER lifestyle and this is the best way you guys could think of to get national media attention for this worthy issue.

Hey, any other ideas out there? 8)

Back
Top Bottom