Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Crazy weather............
Old 12-09-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Crazy weather............

I played golf yesterday in shorts and a short sleeve shirt.(Mississippi) A few days ago I didn't try it as the wind chill factor was below 30 at 9:00am. Suppose to get to 81 today and stay that way through Wednesday.

Gonna have to go some to have a white Christmas this year. Hmmmm.......come to think of it, I have never experienced a white xmas here.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

-29 degrees Celsius = -20.2 degrees Fahrenheit

Last night's temperature here (not counting the windchill).

Definitely a white Christmas.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not going to start another round of complaints with a Hawaii weather report. Let's just say that it's not going to be a White Christmas for most of the islands, except on top of Mauna Kea.

Last week's wind (70 mph gusts locally) & rain caused some impressive damage for a "non-hurricane" storm. We lost two dozen ridge shingles off our roof (first time ever) and a rotten tree came down in the driveway. Power was out for an hour in our neighborhood (underground utilities) and the island was impressively dark for the rest of the night from Aiea Heights all the way over to Ewa. The really nasty gusts blew solid sheets of rain in the only window we'd left open, a stairwell window that normally requires a stepladder or balance-beam gymnastics that weren't much fun at 3:20 AM.

Dude, even the surf was choppy & gnarly. Cold, too-- must've been in the mid-70s.

Some parts of Oahu still lack power after five days, and Maui's been declared a disaster area.

No word yet on the Mauna Kea snowboarding championships...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And to think that just a couple of weeks ago I snipped some fresh parsley from the garden! Then the weather changed to snow, sleet & freezing rain! Yee-Hah! Gotta love it!

It's sleeting & freezing rain today....again! Just glad I have no need to get out in it for anything.....the fridge, freezer, and pantry are all stocked up, and we have plenty of seed & suet for our little feathered friends! We have a couple inches of the white stuff on the ground, and from the sound of things, it will probably stay that way until Christmas. I feel sorry for those working-stiffs that still have to get out and brave the elements.......ehhhh, no I don't!

Of course we went out in it the other night to attend a bluegrass jam, and we're venturing out this afternoon for a hammered dulcimer concert, then a craft show, and then a fund-raising benefit for a friend with cancer.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

It is still in the low 80's here in Sarasota,fl.and I'm getting real tired of it .Hope it cools down soon .I'm decorating my tree with my air and fans going .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #6

sadly, minnesota weather is no longer crazy.

Its hovering around zero now
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm with Dawg52. Kids are in shorts today. I am wearing jeans and a short sleeve shirt and hot. DH is trying to get into the spirit and put up a tree - when it feels more like 4th of july. Then again, a few days ago, all of the dew was ice across lawns and on car windows.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #8

75 degrees in Atlanta! We took advantage of it with a walk and picnic in the park. We figure we may as well have some fun before we run out of water....
Old 12-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #9

We had our first snowfall this weekend. Kind of nice.Might melt next week.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It's in the upper 70's today in New Orleans. I decided to take advantage of the weather to do some heavy yardwork (clearing massive brush/trees overgrowth).

Unfortunately the humidity is still high enough to get uncomfortable. It sprinkled a little which felt good because it was cool, but when it stopped the humidity was still way up there. So, I'm resting for a while before going back out.

A wonderful benefit of living up north, is that things don't grow as fast so you don't have to do so much cutting back of vegetation.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I played golf yesterday in shorts and a short sleeve shirt.(Mississippi) A few days ago I didn't try it as the wind chill factor was below 30 at 9:00am. Suppose to get to 81 today and stay that way through Wednesday.
Yeap, low 70's here today in Chattanooga. Headed to Monticello, MS tomorrow and noticed the 80's predicted. Packed short sleeves. Too bad it is for business and not pleasure .
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Here's a shot of the storm that came in last week and knocked out our power (our power goes out so often, we have the outage line on speed dial).

I wish I could have captured the white seagulls against the dark clouds. You can see one in the upper right, but it's just too small. Those are 20+ foot waves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Storm.jpg (152.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I realized this morning that here in Seattle we have not yet had a frost. I've been here a long time, and I never remember this before this year.

Ha
Old 12-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Great (ominous) photo, Al!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #15

I'm getting sick of -30C. I'll probably get my wish for something different, It'll probably be -45 in a month.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to imnxpat
This is the "coldest" time of the year in the Philippines. Here in Metro-Manila, the temperature dips into the mid 60's at night, which of course is no big deal. But due to the accompanying rains and wind, it's sweater-weather.
imnxpat is offline   Reply With Quote