Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We bought a new manufactured home when we married 7 years ago,It was OK at the time, but in the ensuing years, we did quite a bit of updating to get it to where we wanted
Replaced the porch decking with manufactured decking
Replaced the tile counters in the kitchen with granite counters and back splash
Replaced the kitchen faucet and added a dish soap dispenser
Replaced the low end white appliances with slate appliances of better quality
Resurfaced the kitchen cabinets and replaced all the drawers

Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

We live in a small (1100 sq ft) house which has 2 bed, 2 bath. We recently purchased a prefab backyard shed for my use as a studio to paint (watercolors) and just as a hangout place (she shed!) for me outside of the main house. It has heat, but no plumbing. 8 x 10 feet. I negotiated the price, and DH and I are finishing the interior. It really is a tiny house, built to code, completely insulated and stylish. It will add value to the house when we sell it, as it is effectively a third bedroom/home office. Was very pleased with the company in Seattle from start to finish. Photos Limited Living Solutions Modern Shed

Old 02-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1956 View Post
That's really cool. I'd have to elevate it , though and make it a tree house.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
That's really cool. I'd have to elevate it , though and make it a tree house.
Under Customer Snapshots on the website, there's a pic of a guy's shed which is "elevated" Customer Not a tree house, but a house on "stilts". I love my shed, and it's not even finished yet. It helped me justify the purchase by reasoning that it will be good for the marriage. Now that he is retired, we can have our respective space. If he wants to watch football, I can go out to my shed and read a book. I'll have a chaise out there with comfy pillows. A win win.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:51 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1956 View Post
................. Now that he is retired, we can have our respective space. If he wants to watch football, I can go out to my shed and read a book. I'll have a chaise out there with comfy pillows. A win win.
I belong to a group of people with small fiberglass campers. A surprising number keep them in their back yards and use them for personal space when they need to get away.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

A personal space is nice. But before I get a shed, I need to think of using one of the 5 rooms upstairs first. The smallest one is about 12x12, and fairly cozy.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:09 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Okay - I will admit it right here and out loud. My dream house includes... a bidet. A real one that is a separate fixture.

We had one once in a house we built.

Now that we're staying in our current house for awhile, I'm dreaming about sliding the soaking tub to the right - and there would be enough room. This part of the master bath is over the garage so there would be access to find drains, etc.

And re-tiling the floor and shower while we're at it.

New bathroom counter top and sinks would be nice.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Okay - I will admit it right here and out loud. My dream house includes... a bidet. A real one that is a separate fixture.

We had one once in a house we built.

Now that we're staying in our current house for awhile, I'm dreaming about sliding the soaking tub to the right - and there would be enough room. This part of the master bath is over the garage so there would be access to find drains, etc.

And re-tiling the floor and shower while we're at it.

New bathroom counter top and sinks would be nice.
And as long as you have retiled floor and shower, and have moved the soaker tub to put in a separate bidet, and put in new countertop and sinks, might as well update the light fixtures, towel racks, and other bathroom hardware to make it a full renovation. Sounds like this is going to end up being an expensive bidet.

I have lived in my Dream House since 7/1/2015, about sixteen months I guess. I temporarily stopped the upgrading process before having a gate put in the backyard fence between our houses, and plan to make that part of my 2017 spending.

When I have that done, I'd really like to have bright motion detector floodlights installed by my back door. Right now there are regular floodlights there but I wish they worked by motion detection. I don't have the foggiest idea what needs to be done for that, but I'll call my handyman and tell him to make it so.

I read the link in your first post, and all the comments, and really there is nothing there that my house lacks (and that I would want). In fact, it mentioned a dedicated broom closet and I have one in the laundry room that is empty right now. I should put my broom and vacuum in it. Right now they are in my coat closet by the front door, because I prefer my coats to be on a coat rack by the back door.

I guess I'm still settling in. But ah, it's still a dream come true for me. Such bliss.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:54 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I agree that our dream house would include a large music room - say 25 x 30 feet so that we could host musical events at the house. Never going to happen, I can't imagine that a 1200 sq ft ranch with an attached 750 sq ft music studio is going to have much resale value and we can't afford a custom build in any of the places that would have enough musicians to make the dream a reality. But it is our dream...
Old 10-30-2016, 06:13 PM   #70
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
DW and I agree that our dream house would include a large music room - say 25 x 30 feet so that we could host musical events at the house. Never going to happen, I can't imagine that a 1200 sq ft ranch with an attached 750 sq ft music studio is going to have much resale value and we can't afford a custom build in any of the places that would have enough musicians to make the dream a reality. But it is our dream...
Sounds just about the same size as my detached garage. A detached garage might have resale value. Hmmm! Mine also has amazing acoustics, due to the very high ceiling in there. Maybe you could find/build something like that?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #71

It's a simple thing, but one of the very best tweaks we have done was adding a "solar tube" to our rather dark kitchen. Makes a huge difference.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #72

Quote:
I have just 1000 sq. ft., but almost my entire basement is dedicated to 2 separate band spaces complete with drums, amps, PA, etc. I also have a fridge that looks like a Marshall amp...
Attached Images
File Type: png marshall fridge.png (745.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
It's a simple thing, but one of the very best tweaks we have done was adding a "solar tube" to our rather dark kitchen. Makes a huge difference.
Same here, also put one in the kitchen and it was well worth the money. Fairly cheap also with the solar tax credits available at the time.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Same here, also put one in the kitchen and it was well worth the money. Fairly cheap also with the solar tax credits available at the time.
They give tax credits for solar tubes? Solar tubes are just round skylights...what am I missing?
Old 10-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
They give tax credits for solar tubes? Solar tubes are just round skylights...what am I missing?
Solar tubes save on lighting bills but add to heating bills.

That said, I love the three I have and would put them in again.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:01 AM   #76

Again, thanks to those that have shared so many thoughts about what makes a retirement home easy to live in. I think about all the easy ideas have been covered.

I still like a retirement home that's not too big and not too small--and one one level. It is nice to have a basement for additional space for hobbies and guest accommodations.

We have 6" walls that are well insulated and relatively efficient on utilities. My future HVAC changes will be to add Mini-Split heat pumps with evaporator heads and remote controls for each room. They can cut heating/cooling costs in half.

I'm very thankful to live in the middle of the country where houses don't have to be built like tanks, and where we can still afford to own our homes for reasonable building costs.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:00 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sounds just about the same size as my detached garage. A detached garage might have resale value. Hmmm! Mine also has amazing acoustics, due to the very high ceiling in there. Maybe you could find/build something like that?
That sounds about right... my oversize 2-car garage is 24x28... so attache a 2-car garage to your 1200 sf house, frame it for garage doors that can be added later and build your music room with an eye towards easily converting it to a 2-car garage when you sell. In fact, perhaps even put the garage doors in so you can open things up when the weather is good.

My 2-car garage was about $34k but that included attic trusses, stairs and a floor above the garage. Or you could go with a 2-car garage with smaller bonus music room above... our space above the garage is ~16 x 24.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:12 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
It was over 10 years ago when I had it installed so not sure if the tax credits (federal and state) are still available. I didn't notice any difference in heating or cooling cost but I only have one installed, definitely use the kitchen lights less.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:49 PM   #79

My kitchen light I upgraded to a 4 tube (48 inch T8 32 watt 2850 lumens each) florescent fixture. The kitchen is well lit and doesn't use much energy.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:27 PM   #80

I had 2 brick facades on either side of the garage door that suffered rotting mortar with the resultant bricks falling out. Knowing nothing about masonry I built the "fence facade" and it came out very nice. Frame;

And fini;

There is a matching one on the other side of the garage -