Join Early Retirement Today

What I did in retirement :)
Old 10-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

What I did in retirement :)

I wrote a children's book just as a fun thing to do, and it's taken on a life of it's own. The book follows a dachshund along as she moves from foster care to her "forever" home, and comes with a parent and clinician guide for parents or therapists who are working with kids who may be facing a change in their family, adoption, step family, blended family, etc.
The intention is to use Roxie, the dog, as a character to allow kids to explore and discuss their feelings about their family changes in a fun non threatening manner.

To my shock, the book has won 18 awards, including the Creative Child Magazine Book of the Year for 2017.

I have decided to make it a series. The next book will be "Roxie the Doxie, the New Dog at School", where Roxie faces school anxiety, test anxiety, navigates how to make friends and other things kids face at school.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2236.jpg (198.1 KB, 45 views)
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
I wrote a children's book just as a fun thing to do, and it's taken on a life of it's own. The book follows a dachshund along as she moves from foster care to her "forever" home, and comes with a parent and clinician guide for parents or therapists who are working with kids who may be facing a change in their family, adoption, step family, blended family, etc.
The intention is to use Roxie, the dog, as a character to allow kids to explore and discuss their feelings about their family changes in a fun non threatening manner.

To my shock, the book has won 18 awards, including the Creative Child Magazine Book of the Year for 2017.

I have decided to make it a series. The next book will be "Roxie the Doxie, the New Dog at School", where Roxie faces school anxiety, test anxiety, navigates how to make friends and other things kids face at school.
Wow, what a great achievement! Congratulations on being an award winning published author!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I have decided to make it a series.
Congrats on the success of your first book. One topic for your series could be a kid dealing with his/her mother's promiscuity after her divorce (succession of boyfriends, etc.) Librarians in more socially conservative parts of the country may not be eager to stock this book. 😕
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:27 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
Congrats on the success of your first book. One topic for your series could be a kid dealing with his/her mother's promiscuity after her divorce (succession of boyfriends, etc.) Librarians in more socially conservative parts of the country may not be eager to stock this book. 😕
That is a strange choice of topic, I think. No less relevant would be dealing with a father’s promiscuity before the divorce.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:38 PM   #65
Administrator

Quote:

Congratulations, Irishgal. That is an amazing achievement. Hope the follow-on books are just as creative, and just as successful.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
That is a strange choice of topic, I think. No less relevant would be dealing with a father’s promiscuity before the divorce.
My mother claims that she 'ruined' her kids by her behavior after her divorce. I disagree. In any case, it would be interesting to read what the OP can do with the topic. Your proposal has merit, too. 😎
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #67
Administrator

Folks, this thread is for people to share their creative achievements. The "let's debate and be critical" is in the other sub-forums.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Wow, what a great achievement! Congratulations on being an award winning published author!
Thank you!
Old 10-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Congratulations, Irishgal. That is an amazing achievement. Hope the follow-on books are just as creative, and just as successful.
Thank you very much.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats, Irishgal! and to Roxie! You two make a great team.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Wow! What a fabulous achievement. I was reading the description on Amazon. 5 stars across the boards from 17 reviewers is pretty tough to do. Btw, you need to get the page updated, as they are only showing 11 awards. Congratulations.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Wow! What a fabulous achievement. I was reading the description on Amazon. 5 stars across the boards from 17 reviewers is pretty tough to do. Btw, you need to get the page updated, as they are only showing 11 awards. Congratulations.
Ack thanks for noticing that! I will get it updated.
I wish all the people who purchased would review, but then again when I buy things on Amazon I rarely do.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Congrats, Irishgal! and to Roxie! You two make a great team.
Thanks Ronstar
Old 10-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ack thanks for noticing that! I will get it updated.
I wish all the people who purchased would review, but then again when I buy things on Amazon I rarely do.

That's why the 5 stars is a great accomplishment. I usually only review when I'm annoyed.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Irishgal, that's great. I also like the subject of the next book Our youngest just started kindergarten and I'm pretty sure they read a book where a dog goes to school and deals with some of those same anxiety/adjustment issues. And just this morning I returned another book to the library that involved a dog going to school for the first time and how he got ready.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:11 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Way cool!
Old 11-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Published my Last Book?

I just self-published my Christmas book:

Available here.

I'm trying to decide if I'm done writing or not. I looked forward to Oct 15 (when I sent it off to the proofreader) as one might look forward to the last day of work.

I enjoyed writing it, but my motivation took a big hit when Democracy's Thief didn't sell well.

OTOH, I've got an idea for the next book and have even started plotting it. I guess I'll just see how I feel. It's nice not to need the money. Perhaps I'll just make all of my books free, as I did with Yesterday's Thief.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:16 PM   #78
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi everyone from the far far away (Australia/New Zealand). I am the FIminator (pronounced FY-minator) and I am on my journey towards terminating financial dependence & bad financial habits. I have been thinking of early retirement for over 10 years now but had no plan or knowledge of how to get there. I thought I was there on several occasions but something changed or we wanted more, so it never happened. I woke up in early 2018, started researching and am now on the path to FI in the next 1-2 years. My main driver is spending more quality time with my family, increasing my charity work and writing. I also have developed am increasing aversion to corporate life/culture over the years which has been great impetus to propel me on the FI path.

I would describe myself as a social introvert. I don’t particularly enjoy attention or the limelight but I do enjoy interacting with interesting and pleasant people. Some people say I am an extrovert and love talking but I don’t see that in myself. What I have discovered about myself recently though, is that I love writing. So I have recently started a blog to document my journey not only to help others but to clarify things in my own head. Do have a read and let me know your thoughts, that would be much appreciated. The blog is at The FIminator - Financial Independence, Early Retirement & Investing - Blog on Financial Independence, Early Retirement & Investing , hope you enjoy it.
Zorwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Published another book:

Available at an Amazon near you!
Old 04-26-2018, 05:45 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Published another book:

Available at an Amazon near you!

Thanks for the heads up. I enjoy all your books. Keep them coming[emoji106]
mh is offline   Reply With Quote