Creative reasons for leaving w*rk

GalaxyBoy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Some of these reasons I see as perfectly valid! :LOL:

OfficeTeam Survey: Unusual Reasons Employees Give for Quitting Jobs - May 10, 2012

MENLO PARK, Calif., May 10, 2012 -- A stronger economy often gives workers greater courage to change jobs, but the excuses offered for jumping ship can leave many employers perplexed. A new OfficeTeam survey reveals the wackiest reasons job seekers have given for handing in their notice. Here are some examples:
"Someone left because her boss lost the dog she had given him."
"Our employee said he was joining the circus."
"One person left because she lost her cell phone too many times at work."
"We had someone quit to participate in a reality show."
"An employee said it was his routine to change jobs every six months."

Along the same lines, I retired last summer. I might like to start a second career and DW and I would like to relocate. But we have a legitimately increasingly dependent 16 year old Sheltie at home that has gotten used to having me home a lot more. She can't stay in a kennel anymore, and we don't know how well she'd do if frequently left alone all day. We're resolved not to try to uproot/move her and I'm resolved to not consider another career while she's with us.

Some people think we're daft, but we really don't care at all.

True story...

Last edited:
Along the same lines, I retired last summer. I might like to start a second career and DW and I would like to relocate. But we have a legitimately increasingly dependent 16 year old Sheltie at home that has gotten used to having me home a lot more. She can't stay in a kennel anymore, and we don't know how well she'd do if frequently left alone all day. We're resolved not to try to uproot/move her and I'm resolved to not consider another career while she's with us.

True story...

Doesn't sound all that weird to me. Sounds like compassionate consideration for an elderly family member.

I have an eye problem. I can't see going to work.

Sometimes I don't feel good enough to go to work and other times I feel too good to go to work.
Good ones. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

The best one that ever crossed my desk was from a 50 year old programmer who was one the only people left in the company that could program in Fortran and 90% of our "older" test racks were controlled by Fortran.

It said; "Every morning on the ride in, I find myself nearly telling the shuttle driver to pull over and let me out."

Then verbally he told me that "every day he feels like telling some coworker to STF up, especially the suckups in meetings."

I thought, hey, I guess I'm not the only one.

We have a guy retiring after many years (25+) on the job. He has always been a bit of an interesting personality/oddball, but since the end is in sight he stood up in front of management a couple weeks ago and started asking impertinent questions. Pretty funny to watch the deer in the headlights look from people who are very much used to dealing with good little subordinates who self-censor very, very well...

We hired a guy who hated work so bad he didn't show up for his first day. Company MOVED him and GF and 2 kids from FL to MA. They barely settled into an apt when she up n'leaves to go back to FL .... he follows. Never shows up for work.

My boss happily regected his expense report for the moving costs, house hunting trip ... they swallowed everything

Many years ago we had a 40ish year old stress analyst (mechanical stress) who took a vacation to Florida and when he returned he gave 2 weeks notice. We asked him to give us a month and he couldn't because he had taken a job in Florida digging for clams.

Later I learned that he was still at it. I think it's done from a flat bottom boat anchored in the FL intercoastal waterway and then manually use a long handled rake to dig on the riverbed.

We once had an employee who relocated from another city to join the firm. He kept getting ill, and quit after just a few weeks. Reason for leaving: "Allergic to Baltimore."

But I can relate. Retirement is preventative medicine. If I had to go back to work, I'd be sick.

I knew a guy who left the company I clerked at in college to join the circus. Circ soliel came to town and he took a couple of night shifts at the ticket booth, and decided to join up full time.

He was doing the same low-level admin work I was doing, so he wasn't walking away from anything major. I gave him credit for finding something he wanted to do with his time.

Back
Top Bottom