Join Early Retirement Today
Credit Card Compromised
Old 11-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
Credit Card Compromised

I got a call yesterday, and it was my credit card's fraud dept. It seems there was some unusual activity on my account, and it turns out it was indeed fraudulent.

The person I talked to said, they'd close the account, and issue me a new card & number. The charges would be reviewed by a fraud investigator, and I'd get their findings in 90 days. They said that I wouldn't be liable for the charges, which is what I expected.

I've had this card for over 7 years, and used it for *many* online purchases, and used many times a day, (gas, food, phone bill, etc) so it is no surprise that someone got a hold of the number - I thought it would happen way sooner in fact.

Has anyone had experience with this? Should I pull a credit report to see if there was any other accounts opened in my name, etc? Any good recommendations on getting a good credit report? I've used a few in the past, but its such a pain to find one that is worth paying for, or worth the hoops you have to jump through to get the report. Since there are so many places online to do it. I just want to make sure I stop any activity before it becomes a big deal.

Any other actions I should take?

AirplaneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
This is the "official" site to obtain your free (once a year) credit reports:

You may want to look into getting a "credit freeze" to make it more difficult for someone else to obtain a new line of credit in your name. IMHO, chances are that this particular fraud is limited to your old credit card number.

SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
Happened to me this past spring on my debit card. A waitress had a scanner. The fraud department noticed an in store charge in CA about 2 hours before I bought gas here in FL. So, they nabbed it before I would have noticed, even if I check my account frequently.

I filed a police report and guess what - the FBI got involved and they arrested the ring! The waitress turned state's evidence and the first guy was convicted in federal court last month - looking at up to 15 years!!!! I expect the rest will plea.

The shocking thing is the newspaper reported that over 60 card numbers had been stolen from this restaurant, but there were only 2 police reports. It was enough to get the cops pointed in the right direction, but I wonder why (a) the others didn't notice improper charges and (B) why their cc company fraud departments didn't notice.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
I actually had this happen to me. I check my online statements often but the thief must have been doing some pretty outrageous things because the fraud department called me within less than 24 hours. I only got through the second purchase before the fraud department decided there was no reason to continue since it was obviously just fraud. They closed the account and had a new card to me within the week.

Weird part was, this particular card had only been used once at a restaurant about two weeks earlier and prior to that hadn't been used for 6 months. And people think using cards online is dangerous

If its any consolation, nothing else ever happened (further proof that the fraud resulted from the restaurant purchase) and my credit score has only been climbing. I will check out my free report in another 6 or so months so if anything else crops up I can find it but its been long enough that I doubt I will find anything. (I checked my report at that time, 6 months ago, to insure nothing else had been going on.)
Caoineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've had it happen to me twice. Once was a database with many million customer cc info that was broken into and the second one was a random small dollar charge. The first the bank handled before I knew about it, the second I found the day the charge posted.

After the first one, I now check my checking account and credit card daily. I rarely use my debit card because I don't want to deal with this happening to my money. The cc is easier to have someone follow up on and reverse the charge.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:21 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
So far no problems - though all of my cc companies have been very diligent about fraud prevention. I'd say about every 3-4 months I get some sort of call from them.

Recently my wife and I bought a home and were at Sears to pick up Washer/Dryer, Garage Door opener, and a garbage disposal.

I had purchased the Washer/Dryer, then had to go to a separate register for the garage door opener. Literally 2 minutes after card swipe I got a call from the fraud prevention department asking about both charges.

Needless to say, I was impressed.
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:36 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
The fraud depts do act quickly. Back when DH was only my SO, I got home from work first one day to hear this message on the answering machine:

"This is your credit card company calling to verify a $5k purchase today at Washington Diamond."

So much for the surprise!
PBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
This just happened to me this past week. My card was reissued within 24 hours. I was impressed at how quickly they acted. I rarely use the card now except for travel so I'm glad they were watching. A lot can happen between statements...
Oh Look, a squirrel!
smileydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Possible RED FLAG!
Old 11-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Possible RED FLAG!

Originally Posted by AirplaneGuy View Post

I got a call yesterday, and it was my credit card's fraud dept. It seems there was some unusual activity on my account, and it turns out it was indeed fraudulent.

The person I talked to said, they'd close the account, and issue me a new card & number.......

I do say 'possible', but I would be very suspicious of any calls like this, and I would not give ANY information to the caller - they could be scamming you.

Ask THEM for some information (name, a claim ID, phone #, etc), and then hang up and call your credit card company using the number on your card or statement.

These calls can be attempts at 'social engineering' fraud. 'Trojan Horses' don't need computers, they work over the phone or mail, or..., well I guess, .... big wooden horses.

I'm not saying this is what happened to you - but it is a general precaution worth noting.

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:13 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets
Actually, I should clarify, they left me a voice mail, and i called back using the proper 800 number. I'm quite aware of social engineering. //Free Kevin :-)

AirplaneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote