Credit Card Fraud question

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My friend relayed a story that his friend was scammed on the internet. His friend was looking for a specific item and made some inquiries about it. He said, the following day he found the item on a website and decided to buy it using his credit card. I don't know if he checked to see if the website was secure. The following day the website was gone. He determined that the website was creating on the fly for him because he was inquiring about this unique item. He called the state attorney's office and was advised to not only cancel the card he used, but all of his cards. He was told if these scammers get a hold of one of your CCs, they can then get the rest too.

Any truth to what he was told?
Would the scammer have to be ultra (NSA) sophisticated or a run of the mill computer savy type?

Any comments?

Code:
He was told if these scammers get a hold of one of your CCs, they can then get the rest too.

Cant figure out how. :confused:

mickeyd said:
Ok here it is, I have the solution: Do not use your credit card on line.

I wasn't looking for a solution, nor am I worried about using my CC on or off line, I was just wondering if anyone here knows if the the advice he was given was reasonable or over the top. I thought cancelling all CCs was unnecessary unless it involved identity theft.

I dont believe thats plausible.

Someone could definitely use his card if he's given the security code from the back, but if he's cancelled the card then he should be just fine.

Several of the major credit card companies offer web based tools or a windows system tray item that allow you to generate one time use "credit card numbers" with an upper limit. Real handy for web purchases and they're very easy to use. Not only does it limit theft of your card number, it limits fraud and other BS where the web vendor tries to charge you more than you agreed to, or tries to charge you for something you didnt want or order.

Citibank and Discover both have 'system tray' software that automatically fills in your info, generates a credit card number on the fly, and actually make the buying process simpler than fishing out your wallet and typing in the number...

Back
Top Bottom