Join Early Retirement Today

Credit card info hacked again
Old 01-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Credit card info hacked again

So Target now has up to 70 million customers put at risk. And Neiman Marcus has an unknown number at risk.

Are we having fun yet?

At least there is no chance Neiman Marcus can reveal anything about me. They don't let rabble like me buy anything from them. It's to dangerous to their reputation.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #2

I'm probably safe too. I once walked past a Neiman Marcus store ~20 years ago.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I usually go into Target about twice a year. Unfortunately, the most recent time was in early December, when I used a credit card.

I rarely worry about the boogie man on the internet or in financial transactions. Even now, I say my alert level has only risen from a 1 to 3 on a 10 point scale. If I had used a debit card, it might be higher.

Still, I might be motivated to take Target up on their monitoring offer if the sign-up hassle is low and the monitoring service doesn't bombard me with messages related to normal transactions.

Anyone else giving it some thought? Or would calling Visa for a new credit card serve essentially the same purpose?

https://corporate.target.com/discove...ng-to-all-gues

Quote:
January 10, 2014
We understand our guests are eager to sign up for free credit monitoring and identity theft protection.

More details will be coming next week...

The service, which will be available to all guests who shopped our U.S. stores, will include a complimentary credit report, daily credit monitoring, identity theft insurance where available, and access to personalized assistance...
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Harry, I'd definitely take them up on free monitoring. I think the issue goes beyond someone making a fraudulent charge on your CC account - the real concern is identity theft which is a far greater headache for the victim.

DW used her debit card at Target during the time the problem occurred. She was notified last week that USAA was replacing her card, which makes me very concerned about the possibility of identity theft. We will definitely use the offered credit monitoring service to help keep an eye on anything out of the ordinary.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post

Anyone else giving it some thought? Or would calling Visa for a new credit card serve essentially the same purpose?
+1@REWahoo

From the link

Quote:
The service, which will be available to all guests who shopped our U.S. stores, will include a complimentary credit report, daily credit monitoring, identity theft insurance where available, and access to personalized assistance.
Changing cards prevents new unauthorized charges but does nothing to prevent ID abuse. The data theft includes information that could help set up a bogus account. Keep in mind the encrypted PIN file was also breached.

I shopped in Target during the breach period and might take them up on this offer, not because I am concerned, but as a no-cost way to explore these credit monitoring services.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #6

I used my debit card at Target during this time. My credit union has already sent me a new debit card and I do plan on taking advantage of the credit monitoring services. Identity theft is a scary thing!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I hadn't read they'd been hacked again, just that it involved more customers/data all along.

No problems so far for us knock on wood, we're still checking CC activity daily.

We were weekly Target shoppers but we haven't been back since the story broke. We're going to visit Costco today with the intent to join, so we have something to augment our local grocery store. May be an overreaction, but it's hard to trust Target after such a massive breach...YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
So Target now has up to 70 million customers put at risk. ....
I'm trying to understand these numbers. Isn't the adult population of the US about 300 million? Are we really talking almost one in four adults have shopped at Target in this time frame? Did the hack get into every terminal in every store?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
...May be an overreaction, but it's hard to trust Target after such a massive breach...YMMV
Or maybe with all this attention, they are the safest store to shop at? I can't imagine a hacker trying to get in there now with all the investigations going on. Wouldn't that be like trying to rob a bank while all the cops/investigators are still on the scene from a bank robbery earlier that day?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm trying to understand these numbers. Isn't the adult population of the US about 300 million? Are we really talking almost one in four adults have shopped at Target in this time frame? Did the hack get into every terminal in every store?

-ERD50
Over 1.1 billion credit cards outstanding, according to the US Census Bureau. https://www.census.gov/compendia/sta...es/12s1188.pdf

Edit: For a more complete response, 1.2B credit cards, 500M debit cards, total 1.7 billion cards.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
She was notified last week that USAA was replacing her card, which makes me very concerned about the possibility of identity theft. We will definitely use the offered credit monitoring service to help keep an eye on anything out of the ordinary.
The best defense we have at the moment (besides not doing foolish things ourselves) is to put a FREEZE on your accounts with the three credit reporting agencies. Nobody can open an account under your name and SS while your account is frozen. Alas, it is a profit center with the charge being up to $10, depending upon your state, to freeze and thaw an account.

OTOH, if one has talked to a person whose identity has been stolen, one knows that the freeze/thaw is nothing compared to the hassle of working through an identify theft.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I think the number is now up to around 110 million:

Target data breach affected personal info from up to 110mn customers ? RT USA

Quote:
But on Friday Target announced that the ongoing investigation into the fraud showed that other customer information as well as the originally reported payment card data had been stolen.

Affecting as many as 110 million customers, the stolen information included names, mailing addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of customers who had swiped their cards outside the 19-day breach period, according to Molly Snyder, a Target spokeswoman.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Or maybe with all this attention, they are the safest store to shop at? I can't imagine a hacker trying to get in there now with all the investigations going on. Wouldn't that be like trying to rob a bank while all the cops/investigators are still on the scene from a bank robbery earlier that day?
Could be, but if it was that easy to correct (they were giving assurances literally overnight), how did it happen to begin with?

And I'm a believer in 'fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...'

We've considered joining Costco for years, good time to give them a try in lieu of Target to us.

I also find it hard to believe 1/4th to 1/3rd of the US population shopped there during the 3-4 weeks in question. Will be interesting to see what store revenues/traffic do this quarter and thereafter.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

-ERD50
The names and other information of 70 million people were probably collected over a long period of time.

Krebs explains these things much better than I can:

Target: Names, Emails, Phone Numbers on Up To 70 Million Customers Stolen — Krebs on Security

Hackers Steal Card Data from Neiman Marcus — Krebs on Security

Old 01-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

-ERD50
I think the danger is that the register hacks may not be the only way they compromised Target's security.
They might still have something lurking in the background, though I imagine the security experts are busy 'sanitizing' the entire Target computer system.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if the chip and pin cards would offer more real protection. I would think that at the very least, a Target shopper could change the pin used by the card, thus making that bit of information useless to the crooks.

Keep in mind that the crooks are still selling batches of credit card information to other crooks. (I'll take 500 numbers in this zip code, please.) So, Target shoppers have to be watchful for months as more and more of the CC information is sold to other crooks.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

My World Mastercard offers Identity Theft Resolutions Services for free. They can lockdown your credit reports, get free credit reports from the 3 agencies, and a resolution kit.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Makes me more glad I use cash for most of my purchases although I have been using my newly acquired cashback CC more in the last 6 months (not at Target). I last shopped at Target in early 2013 but paid cash.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #19

Quote:

-ERD50
No, 1 in 4 adults may have shopped at any time and were registered on their website. The additional 70m identified were registered site users, not shoppers during Thanksgiving.

Rita
Old 01-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

-ERD50
Interesting observation, maybe the safest. Maybe the bad guys are next door, hacking XYZ store.

Probably coincidence, we don't shop at Target. Last week I received a security alert from pay-pal, someone was attempting to hack it. We don't use it either, they quickly deleted the account at my request.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote