Credit card pranks...

The link worked for me! That was amazing, funny and scary! Wonder what would happen if you contested a charge and the slip was signed that way!

Dreamer

I imagine they'd pull security tapes from that time, show that it was in fact you signing "shamu the killer whale" or "Dunk N. Donut" and not take any more claims of crime seriously from you ever again :)

I still like where he subtracted a 10% tip for bad service from his tab, signed it "Service Sucked" and the restaurant charged him the full amount anyhow...

I think I lost it at the point he signed, "MY BUTT" with a drawing to the side. I've never signed any of my credit cards, I always have my I.D. ready to show people......still haven't been asked, ten years later. :p

I went over the edge when he started sketching drawings of the intestinal tract. Completely started bawling when he cut out the photo of the 'postman' from the credit card fraud advertisement and pasted that on the receipt as his signature.

I've never signed any of my credit cards

That sounds like a bad idea. If they're stolen all the thief has to do is sign it. Now based on the story above he apparently could just sign it "Shamu".

I always have my I.D. ready to show people......still haven't been asked, ten years later.

About 2 years ago they started asking for ID around here in the SF Bay Area. Some stores ask all the time, some about half of the time but none of them don't ask anymore.

I should have said, I have written "see I.D.", but hey, as we can see, nobody checks anything anyway....

So what's next...

... does he leverage this resume' into a career as a network security consultant?

Or as a Best Buy/Circuit City mystery shopper?

All of mine say "See ID". The card is usually never even looked at. Most of the time I put it back into my wallet right after swiping it. I probably get asked for ID about once a month. What I like is when they appear to "compare the signature" and hand it back to me.

What I did find out that irritated me was a credit card with "See ID" on it cannot be used for identification purposes, while one with a sig on it can.

I had a cashiers check to cash, about $12k, last year. Went into the issuing bank. Showed the check and my drivers license. After much hemming and hawing the manager finally rolls out and asks for a second piece of ID. WTF? Ok, I show a wallet full of credit cards. Unfortunately they all say "See ID". I noticed my ATM card wasnt signed, quickly signed it right in front of them and proferred it. Uh uh. Then I noticed my sams club card with the godawful grainy unrecognizable black and white 'photo' and signature. I said "What about this?". Surprisingly, they took it.

Which is funny because you could go into sams club, say you're santa claus from the north pole, give them $35 and they'd give you a card in that name and address. They dont check any ID at all.
::)

Some Citibank's credit cards show the picture of the card holder. Is that useful? It is very possible no one actually looks at them.

Yeah, those help. But they appear to be as useful as sigs. My next door neighbor had her purse with checkbook and credit cards stolen out of her car in her garage by what turned out to be a grifter couple, albeit dumb ones. My neighbors name was very feminine. The guy used one of her checks to buy a set of tires, actually wrote his real name and address on the order sheet at the tire place, then crossed them out (though you could still read them) and wrote her name and address next to them. They took this without question, and her check.

The dudes wife went on a shopping spree through over a dozen stores with my neighbors credit card which featured a photo. She was a tall, heavy black woman. My neighbor was a short petite white woman with blonde hair.

They were eventually caught when the police simply went to the address that the guy had written on the tire order form, which was still completely visible. Couple had an arrest record a mile long and had been in and out of jail on petty items like this all their lives.

I have SEE ID written on ALL of my cards. Doesn't seem to help much,if at all. But when they do ask I always make a point of thanking them for doing it.

Interesting. Our local Hallmark Postoffice has a sign saying that they will not accept any card signed See ID.

On that zug.com site, there is also a description of a prank they set up where they were faking a visit by Michael Jackson to Boston. They led the fake Michael through the Copley Hotel and to an upscale mall, where he proceeded to have a messy incident at the Victoria Secret store. Then, later that night, he attended a Gladys Knight concert and had the entire crowd gawking up at the balcony at him. The full description (and a $1.99 video download) is available at the site.

Interesting. Our local Hallmark Postoffice has a sign saying that they will not accept any card signed See ID.

One of the strangest transactions I ever made:

I sold a car to a guy and received a cashiers check drawn on a local bank. I went immediately to the bank to cash it. While I expected a bit of undue attention as they're probably not frequently handing out five figure amounts of cash to non account holders, this was interesting...

The bank manager came over and said they would require two forms of ID, one of which could be a credit card. When I showed her my drivers license and credit card, she said that no credit card signed 'See ID' would be acceptable as identification. She was unable to explain why a signature would "improve" the credit card as identification. I then produced a second card which I hadnt signed (whoops). When she handed it back to me, I signed it in front of her but she said that too was not good ID as she had seen me sign it. Even though the sig matched my drivers license.

I pointed out that I could have simply signed it in my car in the parking lot and she'd have been none the wiser.

No dice.

So she ended up accepting my drivers license, and my Sams Club card, which as everyone knows has crisp and clear photographs made using a grainy black and white dot matrix printer that were thrown out by Goodwill in the 1970's. With no signature on it.

Last edited:
When travelling on business, we are required to pay by company issued credit card and must get seperate checks for meals. Two guys in my office inadvertantly swapped cards after paying for a meal. They went six months without noticing. They found out when one of thier spouses (who paid the bills) accused him of cheating because his hotel bills did not match the location he told her he was traveling to. Ever since then, I cut one corner of my card so I can spot it in a pile.

Back
Top Bottom