Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
True, just the bad shoppers seem to always be in front of me.
I get the cashiers at Costco switching just after dealing with the customer in front of me. They have to reconcile all their cash and credit transactions. Seems to take 5 minutes. I am usually there in the early afternoon so I suppose it is their late lunch break.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
So, yes, there is a cost to handling cash. How it compares to CC fees, I don't know.
3% but it is considered a fixed costs as part of the salary budget whereas the CC rewards are 3% variable affecting their revenue.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm the OP & I'm absolutely shocked that this thread is already 5 pages long!
Great stuff!

There's one thing I forgot to add to my original post. As I stated, up until about 2 years ago, I was one of those people that used cash for everything except my recurring monthly bills, & large bills like a major auto repair, appliances, etc.

Looking back, I think that maybe, on a subconscious level, at least part of the reason I started using cash back CC’s, was because of the minuscule amount of interest I was getting in my checking account, which is my cash-flow pipeline. My average monthly balance was approximately $3700.00 in 2016, & I received a grand total of $2.41 in interest.

So I look at it this way. If my total monthly cash flow is $3000.00, & I use my card for $2000.00 of that, I get 4000 points, or $40.00 ‘back’
per month. Just ‘slightly better’ than the $0.20 the bank is paying me. So unless something changes, I’ll continue to use plastic.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I'm the OP & I'm absolutely shocked that this thread is already 5 pages long!
Great stuff!

There's one thing I forgot to add to my original post. As I stated, up until about 2 years ago, I was one of those people that used cash for everything except my recurring monthly bills, & large bills like a major auto repair, appliances, etc.

Looking back, I think that maybe, on a subconscious level, at least part of the reason I started using cash back CC’s, was because of the minuscule amount of interest I was getting in my checking account, which is my cash-flow pipeline. My average monthly balance was approximately $3700.00 in 2016, & I received a grand total of $2.41 in interest.

So I look at it this way. If my total monthly cash flow is $3000.00, & I use my card for $2000.00 of that, I get 4000 points, or $40.00 ‘back’
per month. Just ‘slightly better’ than the $0.20 the bank is paying me. So unless something changes, I’ll continue to use plastic.
As long as you dont over spend by 2 % you are ahead of the game. I would be over spending
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't paid for a flight since 2011 except for a small amount of taxes. I have flown so much that I can't even count all the trips. I now fly with my husband (who is still working) for free suing the companion pass at Southwest. I earned all this with credit card sign up bonus' and spends.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

And We keep our AMEX platinum because of the Medical Assistance while traveling. (And the lounges are nice too) https://www.americanexpress.com/laci...cetravel.shtml
Old 06-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

We keep our Amex because one restaurant in PV only accepts it.

Also we can order online and get stuff delivered to MX without hassle. Most Visa/MC want the delivery address to line up with the one on file.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyWife View Post
And We keep our AMEX platinum because of the Medical Assistance while traveling. (And the lounges are nice too) https://www.americanexpress.com/laci...cetravel.shtml
Apologies if I am hijacking this thread, but I am looking to vent re Amex.

As others have described, I am a modest card churning "hobbyist". I do 2-4 cards a year. I have been an Amex gold card holder for 5+ years and kept it for some of the benefits.

A couple of months ago, I got an offer to "upgrade" to platinum for 50k Amex points. I thought the $550 fee was pretty steep, but figured that, between the points and the benefits it would be worth it.

What I didn't realize was how much Amex's benefits and services seem to have seriously declined.

Last month, for the first time, my card was hacked. To their credit, Amex caught it right away and said they'd send me a new card. The last time they'd had to send me a new card (can't remember why), it was overnighted to me; I got it the next day. This time, despite being a "platinum member", they dropped it in the snail mail and I didn't get it for 10 days. Not a big deal, but ...

Last night, however, was a different story. I had purchased a plane ticket for my son to fly in for a visit this weekend. He belatedly realized yesterday that he had to work and I had to cancel the flight.

His fault I know. And, of course, the change fee from the airline was more than the cost of the flight. But, I thought a call to Amex might result in them working some magic with the airline and get a refund or credit or something.

Nope. After being put on hold for 30 minutes due to *high call volume* (at 10:30pm? yeah, right), I finally connected with Amex only to be told "there's nothing we can do".

So much for the *experience* of Amex Platinum.