Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-24-2016, 04:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been to some places - more tourist areas in the US - that check ID for credit card purchases.

The whole signature on the back of the card thing is meaningless.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 09:52 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I bet there will be more "stolen" CC as folks will forget them in the machine, vs the swipe where you never let go of it.
Most of the places I've used the chip reader so far make some kind of noise when done (sometimes very irritating) as well as tell you to take your darn card on the screen. My brother would probably be one of the ones that zones out and still walks off without it though.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:01 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by niven View Post
Most of the places I've used the chip reader so far make some kind of noise when done (sometimes very irritating) as well as tell you to take your darn card on the screen. My brother would probably be one of the ones that zones out and still walks off without it though.
Slower and annoying loud - Progress, eh?
Old 03-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

We just received new Target credit cards and they appear to be mandatory chip and pin. Apparently the "slide" option will no longer be available.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
We just received new Target credit cards and they appear to be mandatory chip and pin. Apparently the "slide" option will no longer be available.

My understanding of this is that each Merchant, individually, will determine if they will accept an EMV card as a legacy Mag-Stripe slide transaction.

Target has converted over their stores to EMV capable so I believe if they sense an EMV capable card in the slide Mag-Stripe reader then indeed will redirect to the EMV slot.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
My understanding of this is that each Merchant, individually, will determine if they will accept an EMV card as a legacy Mag-Stripe slide transaction.

Target has converted over their stores to EMV capable so I believe if they sense an EMV capable card in the slide Mag-Stripe reader then indeed will redirect to the EMV slot.
In our area Walmart and Kroger also detect CHIP cards if they are swiped and direct the customer to insert the card instead. Other stores have CHIP machines with tape over the slots indicating that although they have the EMV capable machines they are not yet functioning.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #27

This is the first time I've seen the mandatory use of a pin, though.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 03-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Quote:
This is the first time I've seen the mandatory use of a pin, though.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
By that do you mean Target will not accept any credit card that does not have a CHIP? Or do you mean that your new Target credit card does not have a magnetic stripe so can't be used except in a CHIP ready machine?

When I got my UK bank ATM/Debit CHIP card about 2005 I wasn't sure if it had a magnetic stripe and tried it both at an ATM here in the USA and also tried to use it in a store as a Debit card but in both cases the swiping of the card did not work.

It sounds like Target are making sure their credit cards cannot be cloned. (My existing US CHIP cards also have a magnetic stripe so are still open to being "skimmed" I guess.)
Old 03-25-2016, 04:44 PM   #29

Quote:
By that do you mean Target will not accept any credit card that does not have a CHIP? Or do you mean that your new Target credit card does not have a magnetic stripe so can't be used except in a CHIP ready machine?
The Target card has no magnetic strip and the document that came with the card said that the pin was required to use the card at Target (the only place you would use it).

I'm sure they will continue to accept other cards using the swipe method.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #30

Quote:
The Target card has no magnetic strip and the document that came with the card said that the pin was required to use the card at Target (the only place you would use it).

I'm sure they will continue to accept other cards using the swipe method.
Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize that Target CC's were only for use in Target stores, so all that makes sense.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you eat at Wendy's look out for CC fraud.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/07/1...n-card-breach/

Quote:
Wendy’s has published a page that breaks down the breached restaurant locations by state.

At least 1,025 Wendy’s locations were hit by a malware-driven credit card breach that began in the fall of 2015, the nationwide fast-food chain said Thursday.