Credit Card Security

My understanding of this is that each Merchant, individually, will determine if they will accept an EMV card as a legacy Mag-Stripe slide transaction.

Target has converted over their stores to EMV capable so I believe if they sense an EMV capable card in the slide Mag-Stripe reader then indeed will redirect to the EMV slot.

In our area Walmart and Kroger also detect CHIP cards if they are swiped and direct the customer to insert the card instead. Other stores have CHIP machines with tape over the slots indicating that although they have the EMV capable machines they are not yet functioning.

This is the first time I've seen the mandatory use of a pin, though.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

We just received new Target credit cards and they appear to be mandatory chip and pin. Apparently the "slide" option will no longer be available.

This is the first time I've seen the mandatory use of a pin, though.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

By that do you mean Target will not accept any credit card that does not have a CHIP? Or do you mean that your new Target credit card does not have a magnetic stripe so can't be used except in a CHIP ready machine?

When I got my UK bank ATM/Debit CHIP card about 2005 I wasn't sure if it had a magnetic stripe and tried it both at an ATM here in the USA and also tried to use it in a store as a Debit card but in both cases the swiping of the card did not work.

It sounds like Target are making sure their credit cards cannot be cloned. (My existing US CHIP cards also have a magnetic stripe so are still open to being "skimmed" I guess.)

By that do you mean Target will not accept any credit card that does not have a CHIP? Or do you mean that your new Target credit card does not have a magnetic stripe so can't be used except in a CHIP ready machine?

The Target card has no magnetic strip and the document that came with the card said that the pin was required to use the card at Target (the only place you would use it).

I'm sure they will continue to accept other cards using the swipe method.

The Target card has no magnetic strip and the document that came with the card said that the pin was required to use the card at Target (the only place you would use it).

I'm sure they will continue to accept other cards using the swipe method.

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize that Target CC's were only for use in Target stores, so all that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom