Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Square has introduced their contactless/chip reader. You insert a chip card into it or wave your contactless card/ApplePay/GoogleWallet/whateverNFC. It's $49, which isn't bad, but their old swiper thing was free (they actually still include one with the new reader).

I see lots of these (Square devices) at farmers markets and such. It's a cheap way to turn your iPhone/iPad into a credit card reader.

https://squareup.com/contactless-chip-reader
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Square has introduced their contactless/chip reader. You insert a chip card into it or wave your contactless card/ApplePay/GoogleWallet/whateverNFC. It's $49, which isn't bad, but their old swiper thing was free (they actually still include one with the new reader).

I see lots of these (Square devices) at farmers markets and such. It's a cheap way to turn your iPhone/iPad into a credit card reader.

https://squareup.com/contactless-chip-reader
Those things cost $49 but the first $49 in fees using the new reader are free.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There's a liability shift with the onset of chipped cards.

Merchants who still use magnetic readers and are hacked are liable.

Gas stations are exempted from this shift for another year or two while other merchants were suppose to have deployed EMV terminals by October.

Not sure if the CC companies will change the terms once enough locations take EMV cards. They might blame the card user for any hacks once they have chipped cards and most of the locations take chipped cards.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Noticed this on the internet. Police say skimmer fraud is exploding

Use of Credit Card 'Skimmers' at Gas Stations, ATMs is Exploding - NBC News
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
There's a liability shift with the onset of chipped cards.

Merchants who still use magnetic readers and are hacked are liable.
Or accept a stolen CC that is EMV enabled without using EMV hardware on the merchant end.

Quote:
Not sure if the CC companies will change the terms once enough locations take EMV cards. They might blame the card user for any hacks once they have chipped cards and most of the locations take chipped cards.
Card holders are protected by current Federal law to limit responsibility for "billing errors". Also the card holder does not control if there is a chip in his/her card, nor how the merchant processes the card.

The liability shift is purely between the merchant and the relevant bank.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

My CU called yesterday to tell me my card had been compromised...

Guess they downloaded the stuff from the aforementioned skimmer; my name had to be the last one on the list. They're sending a new card.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
Noticed this on the internet. Police say skimmer fraud is exploding

Use of Credit Card 'Skimmers' at Gas Stations, ATMs is Exploding - NBC News
Saw that report too last night. Crazy how someone could just get a master key for the gas pump and install the skimmer. Just as crazy with the worker doing a double swipe to steal the card info.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
My CU called yesterday to tell me my card had been compromised...

Guess they downloaded the stuff from the aforementioned skimmer; my name had to be the last one on the list. They're sending a new card.
Or perhaps the CU had their own record of your card being used at the pump where the skimmer was installed and assumed every card was captured/compromised within a given window of dates.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Or perhaps the CU had their own record of your card being used at the pump where the skimmer was installed and assumed every card was captured/compromised within a given window of dates.

-gauss
This skimmer was at his CU, not at a gas pump, FWIW.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Which ATMs these days do not have a camera?

How would they install a skimmer on an ATM without being caught, though who knows how far back they keep the videos.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

It does make one wonder.

It should be standard procedure to check ATMs outside a bank or credit union at least a couple of times a day, and certainly first thing in the morning. But I suspect many branches haven't caught on to the new reality yet.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

My last trip to Europe, a couple of ATMs printed receipts which said processed by chip when I used my Schwab debit card.

And these were old-looking ATMs too.

There was some kind of motorized mechanism, which pulled the card in and pushed it out when done.

There were no signs or logos indicating that it read EMV cards but I guess chipped debit/ATM cards would likely be more common in Europe than in the US.

My main credit union debit card also has a chip but not sure the credit union itself has chip reading ATMs. But I'm more likely to use third-party ATMs anyways.

I think Chase and Citi are deploying chip ATMs.

I hope they support Apple Pay too at some point.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Surely you can understand why? Anyone could call them and say that they didnt get the gas that was pumped using their credit card. Your card was scanned and gas did get pumped. I believe you, as you have no reason to make this up, but it would sound pretty suspicious in general.
I do understand that. However, wouldn't a check of our profile to see if we are the kind of people who dispute charges show that we aren't? We've had one dispute in the past 15 years with the company in dispute admitting they charged our card incorrectly and, again, we have always paid our bill in full, never late. The guy at the CC company even said that and still. . .
SkisALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I am still quite confused about debit vs. credit, when to sign, when to use my debit card PIN, etc. Sad to say I just never bothered to investigate and learn the differences/advantages.

Is there a website that explains the differences and advantages?

The local gas stations require me to use my zip code to authenticate purchases....is my zip code included in the magnetic strip data?

I just received a Visa prepaid debit card (product rebate) and I when I called to activate the card, I had to select a PIN (so obviously not part of the info recorded on the card?). Is the PIN included in the magnetic strip on my debit card?

It seems like there are many ways to cut down on fraud but the industry doesn't really care as long as the losses are low enough to spread the cost around to all users without it being noticeable. When BofA started putting photos on their cards, I thought surely this will spread to all cards but it doesn't seem to be popular at all.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

New Krebs article on gas credit card skimmers and subsequent fuel theft rings. http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/11/g...kimming-scams/
Old 11-30-2015, 10:03 PM   #56
Administrator

I think that zip code authorization and debit card PINs are transmitted to the bank, and are not stored on the magnetic strip.

CHIP & PIN cards have the PIN encoded in the chip I believe and in places like the UK you can go to certain ATMs to change the CHIP to one of your choice. The initial PIN is generated by computer and not recoverable or able to be reset via a phone call.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:48 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking cupidity is the greatest way to get your card info compromised.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Wait! What a great way to pick up some CVCs!!!

OK - that was your point, LOL!
Old 12-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #59

Think I could get that site. I have a couple of cards to check
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I thought it was spelled "stupidity."

I have to admit, ever since HFWR posted this thread I've been jiggling every POS where I use my card. No suspicious looseness yet.