Join Early Retirement Today

Creepy vandalism..
Old 07-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Creepy vandalism..

I was just back from an after dinner walk when the neighbor called me over. “Not a big deal but we have a little problem over here” He explained that he and his travel loving wife were just back from a week long trip to Europe. They returned to find the end of their garden hose cut into several pieces in 15” pieces. This wasn’t an errant lawnmower accident as the hose was up tight to the house and the cuts were clearly from a knife.

He said “I am beginning to think we have a problem.” The New Years before last they were robbed and the crooks did a thorough job of it. Then someone broke into their car and now this. I asked did you check your car? I asked. And he replied Nothing appeared out of order and Its the only side of the house with without a camera.

This was a nasty act of vandalism that I found pretty creepy? I am at a loss on what to think. Ive got cameras on all sides of the house. Still creepy.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it's getting scary out there. Not sure what to suggest. In the great scheme of things, a ruined hose is pretty small - especially vs a robbery or car break in. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Yes, it's getting scary out there. Not sure what to suggest. In the great scheme of things, a ruined hose is pretty small - especially vs a robbery or car break in. YMMV

No matter how small... I don’t want anyone hanging around my property
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:20 PM   #4

Keep an eye out & let the neighbors know.

We have had a rash of plant thefts on our alley. Plus a hammock was taken. Our alley is low traffic with just the HO driving on it. Couple weeks ago I noticed a POS Honda driving down the alley. Def not residents. Yesterday I saw the same POS car sitting at the end of the street. I put the dog away and started walked to the end of the street where they were parked. They left at a high rate of speed

We are putting up exterior security cams next week
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I was just back from an after dinner walk when the neighbor called me over. “Not a big deal but we have a little problem over here” He explained that he and his travel loving wife were just back from a week long trip to Europe. They returned to find the end of their garden hose cut into several pieces in 15” pieces. This wasn’t an errant lawnmower accident as the hose was up tight to the house and the cuts were clearly from a knife.

He said “I am beginning to think we have a problem.” The New Years before last they were robbed and the crooks did a thorough job of it. Then someone broke into their car and now this. I asked did you check your car? I asked. And he replied Nothing appeared out of order and Its the only side of the house with without a camera.

This was a nasty act of vandalism that I found pretty creepy? I am at a loss on what to think. Ive got cameras on all sides of the house. Still creepy.
An internet search turns up the possibility that crooks use it to siphon gas out the car?? At 15” not sure that would be the case, maybe a dumb crook
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #6

Sounds like he's being targeted, wonder what he did to bring on such actions.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:58 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

He should put up those quality cameras around the perimeter and the inside of his house. A good alarm also.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Ouch, "blame the victim"? ... anyway...

After the break in...(thorough means targeted, and the cops should have told him that)... AND the car incident...perimeter cameras would have been the smarter route. Yes he has a problem, I hope he called the cops for fingerprints, even if it's from days later?
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:19 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tell the neighbor to install some security cameras. They're cheap...record everything they're pointed at...good deterrent.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I hope he called the cops for fingerprints, even if it's from days later?
+1

There is another good reason to call the cops. It is likely that the vandal(s) responsible live in the vicinity. Having that visible police presence show up in the form of uniformed officers and a marked car will cause word to get around the OP's neighborhood and perhaps serve as a deterrent.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:54 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Methheads are causing so many problems--at least when they are not in the local jail. No one wants to hire them and they don't have cars. They live wherever someone let's them crash. The common traits are single parent upbringing and substantial drug use in the family.

These people have taken vandalism and petty thefts to an art form. And the risks taken are not worth the reward. They are even worse stealing from each other than the general public.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Extreme anger being exhibited?

And the robbery sounds like an "inside" job.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Methheads are causing so many problems--at least when they are not in the local jail.... They are even worse stealing from each other than the general public.
What? No honor among theives?
Old 07-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Yes, but the other option has not been mentioned. OP, have YOU had similar problems??
Old 07-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Besides the outdoor cameras, I would install perimeter lighting that is motion sensored. That way the place lights up when they thugs come close and the cameras will have a better picture to take.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Rather than leaping to thinking of all the evil in the world I bear the troubles of others like a good christian: any chance someone was trying to repair the end of the hose after malforming it with the lawnmower or by stepping on it?
Old 07-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
any chance someone was trying to repair the end of the hose after malforming it with the lawnmower or by stepping on it?
Agreed. I know criminals are usually not that bright, but who wants to risk trouble by vandalizing a garden hose?

If I went outside and saw that my hose had been tampered with, I'd just assume my lawn service made an oopsie. My mind would never have even gone to someone trespassing or vandals. I could understand someone stealing said hose, but damaging it just because? I doubt it.
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I've been fortunate the last few years and have none of this.

20 years ago, however, had something similar. Creeps pulled out the bulbs in Christmas lights. This was just a small string of miniatures on a bush. Nothing to offend.

I fixed it. Not good enough for the creeps. The next day, the string was chopped into about 15 pieces.

Strange...
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

After the break in...(thorough means targeted, and the cops should have told him that)... AND the car incident...perimeter cameras would have been the smarter route. Yes he has a problem, I hope he called the cops for fingerprints, even if it's from days later?
I think people often think this way because they want to know what behavior to avoid in the future to save their own skins. As if we can somehow control what other people do by our behavior.

« e-bike | Vandalism »