Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have considered some options. There is a business in Oregon that takes ashes out to spread in the ocean. Nice idea to me.
I wonder about ashes spread in scenic spots. Does this bother you to know there might be hundreds of admirers of nature along the trail you are walking on. When does the top soil addition become to much. What if your chosen spot becomes an organic farm. Will you spoil their soil sample?
I am somewhat charmed by mausoleum niches . No reason for future generations just a spot of quiet and calm. I keep thinking I will wait to find where I want to live and then make arrangements..that's what they all say before lighting strikes.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2018, 11:08 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Yes, cremation with ashes scattered in the ocean. No urn or plot for us!

I feel the same way spread my ashes around the mountains
HF63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:13 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I wonder about ashes spread in scenic spots. Does this bother you to know there might be hundreds of admirers of nature along the trail you are walking on. When does the top soil addition become to much. What if your chosen spot becomes an organic farm. Will you spoil their soil sample?

I am somewhat charmed by mausoleum niches . No reason for future generations just a spot of quiet and calm. I keep thinking I will wait to find where I want to live and then make arrangements..that's what they all say before lighting strikes.
"Organic" means "containing carbon" in scientific terms. That means ashes are organic, right?

Seriously- I've never left more than 1/4 cup of DH's ashes in one place. A flock of Canada geese leave more residue than that in a day.

As for a columbarium- my parents bought two niches and Mom's ashes were placed there after she died- but then Dad moved to an Independent Living place close to one of my brothers, about 2 hours away. He ended up selling the niches back to the church, driving up with my brother to get Mom's ashes and then having them "inurned" in one of two niches he bought at his current church.

A bit OT but when I was in India and we visited the site where Gandhi was cremated I asked the guide what they'd done with his ashes. Some had gone with friends and family but bits of them had also been scattered in 6 major cities of the world. DH and I chose something similar!
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
All the iron and potassium they put in your vitamins!
Old 05-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All the iron and potassium they put in your vitamins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
"Organic" means "containing carbon" in scientific terms. That means ashes are organic, right?

Since ashes are what's left after the organic material has been combusted, cremains represent your inorganic chemicals. When you're gone, everyone will say "Athena was the Salt of the Earth."
Old 05-29-2018, 01:05 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
When you're gone, everyone will say "Athena was the Salt of the Earth."
Which is far nicer than "A Bane in the Ash".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
... I wonder about ashes spread in scenic spots. Does this bother you to know there might be hundreds of admirers of nature along the trail you are walking on. When does the top soil addition become to much. What if your chosen spot becomes an organic farm. Will you spoil their soil sample?
From the Web: "Cremated remains are mostly dry calcium phosphates with some minor minerals, such as salts of sodium and potassium".

All good minerals for plants. There may be traces of chromium, manganese, nickel, cobalt, and iron. None of that is bad for the plants or environment, because they are present everywhere.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
From the Web: "Cremated remains are mostly dry calcium phosphates with some minor minerals, such as salts of sodium and potassium".

All good minerals for plants. There may be traces of chromium, manganese, nickel, cobalt, and iron. None of that is bad for the plants or environment, because they are present everywhere.
Thanks. I never was an expert in chemistry! Definitely inorganic.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:00 PM   #88

Cremation and urn to be carried around by my young wife till the money runs out. Then a night time burial in my ex-wife's back yard next to my childhood dogs.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I actually like obits simply because I am interested in genealogy and helping adoptees and others with unknown relatives find their family history. I get a lot of my information from obits. Some of them are extremely detailed.

It doesn't take long when looking at obits for genealogy purposes to know what you like or don't like. For example, I don't like those that list grandchildren by name without saying who goes with which child.

I was thinking about funerals and all that recently. I went to a viewing of someone that I had known most of my life. As usual, I was struck by how - well - nice the viewing was. The reunion part of the viewing and talking to people. I don't actually like the viewing part and avoided looking in the casket.

I also like the post-funeral going back to the house and having dinner as is common in my area.

Which means I think that I would really just prefer to have the dinner and the social aspects and maybe talk informally about the deceased and maybe have some pictures (I've seen some with slideshows that are sort of nice) and skip the actual viewing and skip the actual service...

I am surprised this is not talked about, but obits are also a good way to get info to steal surviors identities. In particular the old idea of using the mothers maiden name as a secret was usually used as a secret token. Also it told folks where people lived at that date. (At least the city etc). In particular with obits on line and find a grave etc a lot of info is there.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Cremation and urn to be carried around by my young wife till the money runs out. Then a night time burial in my ex-wife's back yard next to my childhood dogs.
[emoji16]
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I am surprised this is not talked about, but obits are also a good way to get info to steal surviors identities. In particular the old idea of using the mothers maiden name as a secret was usually used as a secret token. Also it told folks where people lived at that date. (At least the city etc). In particular with obits on line and find a grave etc a lot of info is there.
Detailed obits are ways scammers get info on the surviving spouse and others to initiate financial and other scams. Quite a treasure that's is easy to harvest!
Old 05-29-2018, 03:54 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
At one point I thought cremation would be great since it is cheap and good for the environment. But I have changed my mind about that. Now I'd rather be buried traditionally, but as cheaply as possible; maybe in a cheap cemetery out in the countryside somewhere. My present rejection of cremation is due to some non-religious spiritual questions that I am grappling with which are thus far quite baffling to me but better to be safe than sorry. This probably makes little sense so just ignore it and accept that my choice is no longer cremation.
Same here...on the one hand I believe bodies are just carriers of our souls. However, I was raised to believe that a dead body is much more than that and must be treated with care and respect. Supposedly the body still feels pain and 10x as much as when alive (yeah I know) etc. The soul isn't eager to leave the body and hangs around etc etc. Who knows what's really the truth because no one I knew ever came back from the dead to clarify
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:00 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Detailed obits are ways scammers get info on the surviving spouse and others to initiate financial and other scams. Quite a treasure that's is easy to harvest!
Interesting point: I once wanted to find out what happened to a former college classmate. She'd wanted badly to be a doctor, then married a guy who ALSO wanted to be a doctor and he convinced her to switch her major to nursing. I put in her name as Firstname Maidenname Lastname and her hometown and found her Dad's obituary. She'd apparently divorced the first husband and remarried, but it also listed her two daughters, both also married (darn, it's SO complicated when women change their names!). I looked them up. They're both doctors. They managed to attain what Mom gave up. I was happy to see that.

Now, I'm not a creepy Internet stalker- didn't contact anyone- but that was a heck of a lot of information and it started with an obituary.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:49 PM   #94
gone traveling

I want my corpse to be thrown in the nearest dumpster. But, sadly, that appears to be illegal.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:58 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I want something that says nothing more than, "EFG5 is Dead"
You've obviously thought this through completely, even to noting that your obit will have your name misspelled.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:09 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
A bit OT but when I was in India and we visited the site where Gandhi was cremated I asked the guide what they'd done with his ashes. Some had gone with friends and family but bits of them had also been scattered in 6 major cities of the world. DH and I chose something similar!
ISTR a movie that featured a funeral pyre being set ablaze and sent out to burn up in the ocean leaving the ashes and chunks to sink.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You've obviously thought this through completely, even to noting that your obit will have your name misspelled.
Maybe she is really a FlyGirl? Or he is a bad typist?
Old 05-29-2018, 06:33 PM   #98

My wife and I plan on ending up at the Massacusetts National Cemetery on Cape Cod. (Always wanted a place at the Cape!) We had originally planned on cremation but then I learned that at this cemetery ashes end up in a columbarium rather than being buried in the ground. For some reason that doesn't appeal to me although that doesn't make a bit i of sense since I won't be in any condition to care at that point. If we revert to traditional burial I just need to find a way to get a cheap casket. To me it doesn't make sense to spend a bundle on what amounts to a nice piece of furniture shaped like a box only to have it put in the ground. Maybe a pine box is the way to go. VA also provides a modest headstone for free.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:30 PM   #99
Full time employment: Posting here.

the cemetery near the monastery where I plan to be "planted" requires a biodegradable container. When i buried a relatives cremains there, i got a nice lavender box off the internet for i believe $70. The plot itself was $800. That included the opening and closing by the monk's assistant who dug the hole in our presence (I did the service myself) and a stone placed later with my relatives name and birth and death dates.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:41 PM   #100

"Soylent Green, Soylent Yellow"...

And then there's the Catacombs.

But for me, I want cremation, and NO viewing of the body beforehand (and not afterfoot, either)

The only "wake" I want to leave is a slight ripple in the Space-Time continuum, if there was one.

There are 7+ Billion people in the world right now, and we/they/somebody will have to get rid of all of them. Uh-oh, is this going to be a carbon-generation versus carbon-sequestering issue? A new take on the "Death Tax" .