Crime laffs

peterbilt

Confused about dryer sheets
Heh, it's one of my guilty pleasures, but sometimes I like watching COPS. It taps into my schadenfreude, I know, but sometimes it makes me feel better about myself to do so.

So post your favorite crime news that makes you chuckle (and subsequently slap your face in a kind of despair over the state of the world).

Me, I saw a couple of stories in a blog recently, that made me both chuckle at how ineffective prison can be sometimes, and then slap my face and despair over how some people just can't change:

TrustedID Identity Theft Blog: Identity Theft Protection » Blog Archive » Prisoner Charged with Identity Theft

"The defendant allegedly called people from the jail and impersonated members of the district attorney’s office to obtain personal information, including Social Security numbers. Deputies said he then used the information to obtain credit and services in the names of six victims. Camacho, who is from New York City, was in jail on charges he took part in another identity scam."

and

Local News | Man pleads guilty in ID theft that fueled lavish life | Seattle Times Newspaper

"A 25-year-old Everett, Wash., man accused of a large identity theft scheme that paid for a lavish life with his girlfriend has pleaded guilty.
Edward Anderton pleaded guilty Monday in federal court in Philadelphia to conspiracy, aggravated identity theft and bank fraud.
Anderton lived in a fashionable Philadelphia neighborhood with his then-girlfriend, 22-year-old Jocelyn Kirsch. Prosecutors say they obtained $120,000 in goods and services after stealing financial information.
He's free on bail pending sentencing, which is set for Aug. 29.
Kirsch is due in court Thursday. Prosecutors say she stole and used an acquaintance's credit card in California, where she has been living while awaiting her federal plea."

Now take a deep breath, and sigh....

Back
Top Bottom