Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I live way out in the country. My 92 Honda sat for a while a few years back with only a weekly startup and short drive. It became a rodent haven. It only takes 2 to start a family.
Field mice were in the glove box, the trunk, under the back seat, air filter compartment, muffler , you name it. The stink progressed from mild to simply awful! I never saw the little buggers in the car when I drove it.
dh2b is Commander of the Rodent Patrol and dealt with the removing the nests of the invaders and deodorizing. To this day, we keep a spring loaded mousetrap in the trunk and behind the passenger seat. We still catch a few who continue to invade.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
To this day, we keep a spring loaded mousetrap in the trunk and behind the passenger seat. We still catch a few who continue to invade.
Well, that will slow down those willing to take a drive with you.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do suspect my neighbor may be responsible since his wife threw him out. (heh)
Are there bits of Metamucil in the droppings?

------------------------

If your car is in the garage, I'd set up traps and find the holes through which the animals are getting in.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Are there bits of Metamucil in the droppings?

------------------------

If your car is in the garage, I'd set up traps and find the holes through which the animals are getting in.
The car is left outside and my Metamucil is kept indoors.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

This is a common problem in the RV community... and, I am sure, others that have to store vehicles for extended periods.

Here is a recent thread you might follow but there are many more (threads) around at other RV websites:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: defending stored vehicle from pack rats
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I am so impressed with all the Daniel Boone types on this thread that can easily determine what animals have been around by examining their droppings! Perhaps only in America would such a skill be so widespread.
They actually taught us this stuff back when I was a Boy Scout. I remember it pretty well, for some reason. I can usually pick out various rodents, bunnies, deer, skunks, bears, and a few other critters by memory. Also, haven't had any problem identifying the Assateague ponies by their droppings either.

Most other critters require a quick look into the old Peterson's Field Guide. I usually have a couple copies (Birds, Bugs, Critters) with me on day hikes.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
They actually taught us this stuff back when I was a Boy Scout. I remember it pretty well, for some reason. I can usually pick out various rodents, bunnies, deer, skunks, bears, and a few other critters by memory. Also, haven't had any problem identifying the Assateague ponies by their droppings either.

Most other critters require a quick look into the old Peterson's Field Guide. I usually have a couple copies (Birds, Bugs, Critters) with me on day hikes.
I grew up on a small farms backed up to woodlots; used to be pretty good at recognizing tracks/scat/kill patterns.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Try some moth balls.

I have a couple of antique cars (convertables) and live where they are usable, at most, six months of the year. The first year I stored one, I filled it with moth balls to keep the mice out. It seemed to work, but, it stank all summer even with the top down.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I grew up on a small farms backed up to woodlots; used to be pretty good at recognizing tracks/scat/kill patterns.
But have you identified the tracks or scat or seen the nest of the Ohio Grassman ?
I saw a special last night about this "creature". It was actually a great show if you believe in that kind of stuff.
Grassman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

We've been noticing sparrows flying out from beneath our SUV when we approach it--it must be warm enough under there for them. I don't think they're doing any damage.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

At my last military training command we lost power one morning. A half-dozen nuclear-trained electricians worked in the building but we had to call the Public Works crew to come out and fix the problem. They were in no hurry to proceed because they'd had an epidemic of rats chewing insulation inside the breaker boxes. Easy troubleshooting but messy repairs.

Of course when this "tale" spread throughout the building, quite a crowd gathered as the PW electrician walked over to the breaker to open the access door.

As he approached the door, most of the crowd pressed inward to gaze over his shoulder. It was then that I noticed the most senior nuke electricians had somehow inconspicuously managed to ease to the back of the crowd and out of the path of anything that developed. You submarine veterans can probably predict that the auxiliary machinist's mates were elbowing each other aside for front-row spots.

Sure enough, as soon as the door came open the surviving rat family quickly departed-- straight into the crowd. The electricians had been expecting arcs, sparks, & fireballs so they were relieved to see the show.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Crummy wiring - just a bundle of snakes - like this Okalahoma Gas & Electric panel:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OGE snake panel.jpg (76.8 KB, 5 views)