Critters in engine compartment

73ss454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I been having guests in my engine compartment for the last few weeks. Seems they have taken up residency on the battery and top of the engine.

I've tried putting pepper which they seem to like and I even taped off the areas but I think they like sleeping on a stick surface.

Any ideas to get rid of these pests?

Hood open so they feel insecure. Rats, bunnies and squirrels down in the desert - and they love the vacuum lines and hoses!

I have no idea.
No droppings to clue you in? :)

I was tidying up our garage the other day and I noticed that one of the boxes I looked in had some chewed up papers and mouse droppings ALL OVER the bottom of the box. No, not chiggers or scorpions -- mice. Their scat made it obvious.

I thought I remember seeing one scurry across the floor a few weeks ago...

Yeah, some droppings and twigs and things but I'm no droppings expert. I do suspect my neighbor may be responsible since his wife threw him out. (heh)

This is a common problem with tractors. Some of the guys swear by dryer sheets. My experience is that the mice like 'em.

Try some moth balls. If nothing else it will eliminate moths. Not to mention frightening the male moths regarding losing theirs.

get a cat. I had issues with field mice in my garage during the winter. Suckers would chew wires and insulation and make nests. Gets expensive if they chew thru some wires and short circuit stuff.

Try some moth balls. If nothing else it will eliminate moths. Not to mention frightening the male moths regarding losing theirs.
I second the moth balls idea with a twist - buy a bulk package of cheap ladies' knee-high stockings and use them as pouches for the moth balls. Fill only with enough mothballs so they lay flat where you want to place them. Tie off the top in a knot and secure to the air filter cover or hang from a non-moving, non-heating engine part with strong cotton string.
I put several of these in my 'Stang for winter garage storage, all over in the trunk, engine and passenger compartments. The smell airs out within a day or two. No meeses so far. :D

Great idea. I have had a rodent problem when I store my BMW Z3 for the winter. I will try the mothballs.

As long as you are not using hamsters to power the vehicle, I would also suggest mothballs.

Probably not popular with this crowd, but the collector car forums swear by DRYER SHEETS in the engine comp, ventilation intake, interior and trunk.

get a cat. I had issues with field mice in my garage during the winter. Suckers would chew wires and insulation and make nests. Gets expensive if they chew thru some wires and short circuit stuff.

Neighbors cat used to crawl into my engine compartment to stay warm in winter. She got an unexpected several-block ride one day. Fortunately, I heard her before any damage (to cat or car.) Oddly, she never did it again as far as I know.

I have the same problem with mice in my gas grill. Sometimes they build a nest on the cooking grates,sometimes in the storage area below, and they eat through the gas line from the tank. I'll give moth balls /dryer sheets a try.

DOG HAIR! save the hair when you brush your dog, or have your neighbors save it for you. Sprinkle some of it in the engine compartment every so often, or put it on the ground where you normally park your car. The scent will keep the critters away.

I was stationed in Guantanamo Bay Cuba for 5 years where the rats are as big as small dogs. They chewed on your hoses and belts in your engine compartment all the time. My boss calls me at work one morning to tell me he's going to be a bit late. He went out to start his Jeep and heard this awful gut-wrenching squeal. He popped the hood and found a rat (still alive) wrapped around his serpentine belt to the point the engine would not even turn over. He had to call base security to come out and kill the rat then cut the serpentine belt to get the dead rat out. :)

Mike

Yeah, some droppings and twigs and things but I'm no droppings expert. (heh)

Me either. I couldn't identify any animal by its droppings except maybe a bunny, and I'm pretty sure the culprit is not a bunny.

I am so impressed with all the Daniel Boone types on this thread that can easily determine what animals have been around by examining their droppings! Perhaps only in America would such a skill be so widespread.

I have had a cat climb into my engine compartment to stay warm (many years ago). It must be some sort of death wish as that is not a very safe thing for cats to do. I identified it by watching it run away in terror once I started moving.

I live way out in the country. My 92 Honda sat for a while a few years back with only a weekly startup and short drive. It became a rodent haven. It only takes 2 to start a family. :rolleyes:
Field mice were in the glove box, the trunk, under the back seat, air filter compartment, muffler :eek:, you name it. The stink progressed from mild to simply awful! I never saw the little buggers in the car when I drove it.
dh2b is Commander of the Rodent Patrol and dealt with the removing the nests of the invaders and deodorizing. To this day, we keep a spring loaded mousetrap in the trunk and behind the passenger seat. We still catch a few who continue to invade. :bat:

To this day, we keep a spring loaded mousetrap in the trunk and behind the passenger seat. We still catch a few who continue to invade. :bat:

Well, that will slow down those willing to take a drive with you.........:eek:

I do suspect my neighbor may be responsible since his wife threw him out. (heh)

Are there bits of Metamucil in the droppings?

------------------------

If your car is in the garage, I'd set up traps and find the holes through which the animals are getting in.

Are there bits of Metamucil in the droppings?

------------------------

If your car is in the garage, I'd set up traps and find the holes through which the animals are getting in.

The car is left outside and my Metamucil is kept indoors.:D

Back
Top Bottom