Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm also at a higher altitude. I'm old school and cook my beans on the stove. I do soak the beans overnight and throw out the water, rinse again and then add new water to cook. Pintos are pretty good when cooked with chopped onion, cumin and green chili salsa. You can add more "hot" seasonings if you prefer.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old beans take longer to cook.

I think one reason Latino cooks don't soak their beans is that their dried beans are relatively fresh. Turnover is high. And I buy my beans were I know they haven't been sitting around for a year - we have a high % of Hispanics in our community.

Maybe the US practice of non-Latinos soaking their beans happened because the beans were often pretty old?
Old 12-26-2015, 06:20 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

HFWR, I just learnt another word, parboiling. I will consider that for black beans; I do that for removing the toxins for kidney beans. I was just googling time for parboiling beans, and the answer was 30 min, 60 min, 3 hours, depending upon the toughness of the beans.

pjm-7, how long does it take for you have to cook on the stove for your beans? Per brewer, cooking time for pinto < black < garbanzo. Just as a point of reference for me.

That's a good point audreyh1 - I read that soaking is good for old beans. Problem is, I have no idea whether the beans I am buying are new or not. We decided yesterday we would not buy beans from the store where the cooking took "forever". Actually I'll follow your suggestion and look for some Hispanic grocery stores for these beans and test.

Feedback from family was that the cooked black beans were OK, should have been cooked more. I agreed with that assessment.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC-1982 View Post
Feedback from family was that the cooked black beans were OK, should have been cooked more. I agreed with that assessment.
Aside from cooking for a longer time, try sautéing your onion and garlic for the black beans in coconut oil. "Coconut beans" disappear quickly in my house.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Got the Instant Pot 7 in 1 duo from Santa. So much more than a crock pot, and takes care of beans so quick with the pressure (manual) setting. Happy to have given away my slow cooker, rice cooker and yogurt maker.
Time2re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:14 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

So, I read this thread. And on another site I read a thread about Instant Pot. So I went and read about that, remembering I had seen some Instant Pot recipes. I was thinking of getting a new rice cooker anyway so I ordered an Instant Pot from Amazon instead.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:49 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I have a neighbor singing the praises of the instant pot and saying I should get one. But the biggest crockpot I've ever used is 3.5 quart and I make rice in small quantities - like 1 cup. Not sure about this larger capacity device.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

There is just me and DH. I use it a lot. Not a big FB fan, but they have a nice community there and share recipes, ideas and even failures. Lots of websites devoted to IP cooking also. Enjoying trying lots of different recipes, cook methods, etc.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:26 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2re View Post
There is just me and DH. I use it a lot. Not a big FB fan, but they have a nice community there and share recipes, ideas and even failures. Lots of websites devoted to IP cooking also. Enjoying trying lots of different recipes, cook methods, etc.
What is the FB page you go to for Instant Pot cooking. Since I am getting one on Wednesday it would be helpful to know.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:37 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Search: instant Pot Community. Right now, it seems be be getting about 1000 new members a day!
Old 12-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2re View Post
Search: instant Pot Community. Right now, it seems be be getting about 1000 new members a day!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #32
Administrator

I also use a crock pot for dried beans. This week it will be black eyed peas for a new years bash. I soak them overnight and then put them on mid morning for an evening meal.

1 pound black eyed peas - soaked and drained.
4 cups water
1 can rotel
1 chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, diced
black pepper
cumin

Cook until soft (about 6 hours) and add more water if needed. Near end of cooking add a large handful chopped kale or collard greens, salt, 2 Tbls olive oil, lemon juice and just before serving add a handful of chopped parsley. Mine are vegetarian but some ham or bacon would likely be a good addition during cooking.

Serve it up with a chunk of cornbread or a roll.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Bless you Janet!!
I just bought some black eyed peas and came here to see if anyone had a good recipe! You rock!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:40 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Why Do I Have to Soak Dry Beans?

Quote:
A lot of people have misconceptions about soaking beans. Beans are grouped according to hardness, and not all beans need to be soaked. The softer categories of legumes like Split Peas, Lentils and Butterbeans can be quickly pressure cooked without soaking, but the hardest beans, such as the Soybean, are so hard they need a full 12 hours to rehydrate.

Many think the main reason to soak beans is to minimize gas, and while it's true that soaking does help to remove the indigestible complex sugars (oligosaccharides) from the outer coating of the beans, it's certainly not the primary reason to soak.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder if your Crock-Pot is not heating up appropriately. With the times you've mentioned the beans should be well cooked.
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:49 AM   #36

Great idea to use Rotel when cooking beans, Janet - I never thought of that! I'll also be doing black-eyed peas tomorrow but my recipe for that is tomato-less.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

What a great thread, with all sorts of helpful hints and things I never knew before. I was thinking of donating my late-70's-vintage Crock Pot, and now I'm keeping it to cook beans (which I love, and are good for us).
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:07 PM   #38

I just opened the Instant Pot and tried the black-eyed peas for tonight's dinner. They are perfect! I had some ham bone stock, er, "bone broth" (as the kidz call it) in the freezer so I used that to cook the beans with some onion, green chilis, tomatoes, and a good hit of Worcestershire. I piled it all into the IP, put the lid on, hit the "soup" button and walked away until it beeped completion.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
I wonder if your Crock-Pot is not heating up appropriately. With the times you've mentioned the beans should be well cooked.
I don't know, I am going to test this in a semi-scientific way. I have borrowed a friend's cooking thermometer to take some measurements the next time I use the Crock-Pot. I also borrowed their Crock-Pot and I am going to cook in it in parallel for comparison. I did notice their Crock-Pot has a (rubber?) lining between the lid and the container to reduce heat escape; mine doesn't.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:26 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I love my Instant Pot. In fact I have 2. I had a Fagor before and a Cuisinart which suddenly died. Both had Teflon-coated inner pots whereas the Instant Pot's is stainless steel. It is my favorite cooking utensil, right alongside my Vitamix blender and my 1975 Cuisinart food processor, still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
iac1003 is offline   Reply With Quote