Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Whaddya bet at least one TSA guy gets in hot water for saying "turn your head and cough"...
I'm sensing a new retirement job coming on.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2010, 08:59 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The real danger that needs to be addressed is the lavatories on the aircraft. It's the only place a passenger can be alone to mix chemicals, put together a weapon from smaller parts, etc. This is clearly an overlooked problem. If we care about security, the toilet should be out in the open, just like another seat, Once the airlines figure out that they can put a seatbelt on it and make room for a few more farepaying passengers, the idea will practically sell itself.
Wait-the flight attendants could use these seats, freeing up their foldup seats for paying passengers. They generally only sit for takeoff and landing, and that's precisely the time other folks aren't allowed to be in the lavatories anyway. A perfect solution.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
After talking to real police officers, I got the strong impression that the Transportation Security Officers include a number of folks who were rejects from the hiring process for various police departments and sheriff positions. That is, there are folks there who wanted to be real cops, didn't make it, and settled for the $10.33 to $15.93 per hour job, because it came with a uniform, shiny badge, and the ability to intimidate people on a daily basis.

There are also good, dedicated folks in TSA, but it just takes one of these former grade-school bullies to ruin a traveler's day and an organization's reputation.
I always got the impression they were rejects from the fast food industry. Most look like one flight of stairs would wind them.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:03 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

I've almost always been treated well by TSA. True, some didn't seem quite competent, but they have rarely been rude or otherwise inappropriate.

But to optimize your experience, insist that your agent be crotch-certified.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:27 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The real danger that needs to be addressed is the lavatories on the aircraft. It's the only place a passenger can be alone to mix chemicals, put together a weapon from smaller parts, etc. This is clearly an overlooked problem. If we care about security, the toilet should be out in the open, just like another seat, Once the airlines figure out that they can put a seatbelt on it and make room for a few more farepaying passengers, the idea will practically sell itself.
Wait-the flight attendants could use these seats, freeing up their foldup seats for paying passengers. They generally only sit for takeoff and landing, and that's precisely the time other folks aren't allowed to be in the lavatories anyway. A perfect solution.
As long as it doesn't recline...

Bogleheads :: View topic - Innovative way to deal with rude airplane passengers

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

If you punch in "Are airport back scatter x-ray machines harmful?", many sites will come up where you can read what health groups and science organizations have to say about the matter. Some of them think you cannot believe what the manufactures of these machines would like you to believe.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:17 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Or just let the passengers inspect one another.
In addition to the considerable cost savings, this has the advantage of at least assuring the person doing the groping has a vested interest in finding weapons. Like the cop that searches the suspect before putting him in the back of his cruiser--he's plenty motivated to assure there's no gun in the guy's britches. I'm less convinced that a TSA employee doing 30 searches an hour is going to be as motivated.

"Now, like in third grade, line up boy-girl-boy-girl"
Old 10-31-2010, 04:40 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just another overblown act in flight security theater. Doesn't make me feel one bit safer but makes flying even more unpleasant than it was previously.

I seem to recall George W. making a speech soon after 9/11 in which he said "we will not let these terrorists change our way of life". What a crock.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:00 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I'll be sure to wear a pair of underwear with holes in it.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
I seem to recall George W. making a speech soon after 9/11 in which he said "we will not let these terrorists change our way of life". What a crock.
I think he was referring to the way of life of the Bush family...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'll be sure to wear a pair of underwear with holes in it.
If visual inspection is included, why not try for a skid mark?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Is that a bomb in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Is that a bomb in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?

Mae West, a true original. We would have gotten along just fine.

For more samples of her famous lines,