Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Curious about Monikers
Old 01-29-2007, 07:35 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I'm one of those posters who changed names...but only once. I started posting here in 2002 as REWanabe. As you can see under my avatar, when my w*rk status changed, so did my name.

I did the same. Entered the board as BUMwannabe. Two years ago I went thru metamorphosis and shed the "wannabe". Been getting used to the new wings ever since. The bum part refers to a mental image of beachbum, which pretty much describes me during the months I'm in NC.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2007, 08:00 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

My first dog

John Tuttle:
A made up physician created by the usual suspects) who was larger than life - a surgical wiz, humanitarian and fearless hero - even though no one met him, everyone started acting like he was real; Henry, Margaret, etc. Army ended up sending "back pay" which went to the orpanage. When he finally needed to appear for a medal, he wal "killed"

Can't recall religion, went to a german medical school, and died in a crash while trying to provide aid - close enough.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:01 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine is pretty simple: an amalgram of first & last names.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:23 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
In case you've ever wondered why I chose Meadbh, she was a FI Irish Queen in the first century.
I don't wish to compromise anyone's privacy, but I often wonder how Forum members select some of those cryptic usernames. For example, is C-T really cut-throat, and how did lazygood4nothingbum get to be FI if he's so lazy

Meadbh (aka the Queen)
Watch out for those kids playing with slingshots near your house..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:25 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

My real name is Will, however when I moved to the south, people who had lived here all their lives elongated the vowel. I really never noticed until some old friends (from California) were visiting and wondered why I was now known as Wheel.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:30 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
My initials are jmg, a retired engineer living in Arizona -- thus sgeeeee.

I know. That makes no sense. Neither does the real story which involves two moniker morphs and an uninteresting bit of coincidence.
The absurdity of all of this is that I know exactly where your name comes from, Nords favorite tv show, and Marthas favorite fruit. Without looking.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I feel very inadequate at coming up with an alter-ego all of a sudden! 8)

At the risk of someone arriving on my doorstep (good luck with the 5 dogs) to steal my turntable, my beater cars, and my old tractor; I use my real name.

It prevents me (I hope) from saying unkind or angry things I might regret.

PS: I sympathize with Will, I have a cousin whose name is wheel as well! I get Say-rah frequently!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #68

Bow-tie - - nickname for Chevys - all my life raised around the cars of the General (Motors)...
Old 01-29-2007, 10:56 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
my old tractor
Depends. What kind of tractor is it? I might spin by and snag it tomorrow if its anything decent.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Depends. What kind of tractor is it? I might spin by and snag it tomorrow if its anything decent.
Dude, that is a looonnng way to come for a tractor! But it is a lovely little Yanmar diesel with a nice 4' mower deck. If you come to steal it, though, please bring jumper cables! That is part of our sophisticated theft deterrent system. Likewise with the pickup truck. And good luck trying to leave in the truck without all the dogs wanting to go for a ride!
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #71

Quote:
The absurdity of all of this is that I know exactly where your name comes from, Nords favorite tv show, and Marthas favorite fruit. Without looking.
Now that makes sense. I wish I had consulted with you before I posted.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
Dude, that is a looonnng way to come for a tractor! But it is a lovely little Yanmar diesel with a nice 4' mower deck. If you come to steal it, though, please bring jumper cables! That is part of our sophisticated theft deterrent system. Likewise with the pickup truck. And good luck trying to leave in the truck without all the dogs wanting to go for a ride!
Sarah
Well NOW we're talking. A truck, a tractor AND some dogs? Woo hoo!

I have the same problem. My neighbors are fairly amused that we keep a car almost exclusively for the purpose of giving the dogs a 20 minute ride around the neighborhood once a day. Every day.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

OK, back on topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby
Mine comes from pronouncing my initials as a single word -- gmb
Dang, another cherished illusion shattered. I thought your name came from the submarine force's motto-- "Semper Fi" & "Semper Paratus" were already taken so the nukes went with "Semper Gumby!"

"Nords" is the only publicly-acceptable version of a number of names my first XO used to refer to me by. I've lost touch with him so if he ever googles "Nords" someday then he's in for a surprise...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:02 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Always loved the Beach Boys when I was growing up and wanted to be a surfer girl in California though I grew up on the east coast

I know the song is Barbara Ann (without the "e"), but my middle name is Anne.
BarbaraAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:17 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Weird how much and how little we know about each other. I know these things too without looking and I know the names of your dogs and I know how big your monitor is.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:35 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Reform Druid
Berlinish Polytechnic
I think he was playing Santa CLaus (that might be from another episode)
Yes on Reform Druid -- prayed to bushes
Yes on Berlinish Polytechic.
No on Santa Claus
John Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I know how big your monitor is.
Hey baby...32 inches of...cool running lcd....dammit I should have gotten the plasma!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy

John Tuttle:
A made up physician created by the usual suspects) who was larger than life - a surgical wiz, humanitarian and fearless hero - even though no one met him, everyone started acting like he was real; Henry, Margaret, etc. Army ended up sending "back pay" which went to the orpanage. When he finally needed to appear for a medal, he wal "killed"

Can't recall religion, went to a german medical school, and died in a crash while trying to provide aid - close enough.
Died jumping out of a helicopter without his parachute. His life insurance money went to the orphans.
John Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraAnne

Always loved the Beach Boys when I was growing up and wanted to be a surfer girl in California though I grew up on the east coast

I know the song is Barbara Ann (without the "e"), but my middle name is Anne.
Same here (however, I never wanted to be a "surfer girl" <or dude!>) First name is Ron, and combined with remainder is one of my favorites (Help Me Rhonda)...

While I certainly don't provide much "help" on this forum (other than comments/observations), the name was also a "play on words"...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel
My real name is Will, however when I moved to the south, people who had lived here all their lives elongated the vowel. I really never noticed until some old friends (from California) were visiting and wondered why I was now known as Wheel.
Thats funny wheel. Same deal here. My buddy's name is "ADE" and I've called him Ade for a while. Then I saw his name embroidered on his jacket... Ed

You can't make this stuff up.