Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #141
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landis207 View Post
You'll need •HDMI®: 3 connecters (at least one for your blueray) and need to get the newest version so all the amenities work.
Please read the articles I posted above (post #125). What we saved on HDMI cables paid for the Blu-Ray player and several 3D movies.

Tyro
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #142
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Perhaps the problem is simply that I do not own a Harmony 720!
We're considering a Hamony -- just didn't want to lay out more $ for yet another incidental if we can avoid it (and I don't mind programming one of the other remotes if possible. Our cable remote was/is programmable, and handled 95% of the functions of our previous setup. You just have to have/find the codes.)

CNET has several articles on universal remotes -- 5/6 of the best rated are Harmonies, so that part seems like a no-brainer...

Best universal remotes - CNET Reviews

Universal remote controls - CNET Reviews

Harmony universal remotes: What's the best one for you? | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

I agree we don't need a high-end model. The 'credit card' remote for the sound bar was it's only major drawback (for us) and the sound more than makes up for it.

Tyro
Old 01-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #143
Moderator Emeritus

I very seldom use a remote - I use my iPad. I have a few hurdles to climb, but soon I should be able to run everything from the iPad. We have the xfinity app, apple tv app and an app that controls our receiver, but I need to create/find something that turns all equipment on/off and one that controls the blue ray. So far the ipad outshines our universal remote.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote