Join Early Retirement Today

Current TVs/technologies?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Current TVs/technologies?

Our CRT HD TV has apparently just died 3 years ahead of anticipation, so we find ourselves having to go through the whole consumer/technology research ordeal again. I searched the archives for threads on television or TV, and the last pertinent ones seem to be at least 3 years old, and as we all know, "for an android consumer electronics, that is nearly an eternity."

Is anyone up on the current choices, plusses/minuses, and opinions on them (in addition to what I find elsewhere online)? I've come to appreciate the broad consumer opinion spectrum available here.

Our viewing tends to be mostly movies (cable & DVD) and science/learning shows, and the set is usually on all day every day. An upgrade to Blu-ray is probably also imminent. Not sure, but it may be too early yet for 3-D(?)

Thanks as always,

Tyro
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My housemates and I just went in together for a new living room tv. Got an LG 55" LED 3D tv from Costco, for something like $1266 out the door. That includes tax and an extended warranty that covers it for 5 years. It came with six pairs of 3D glasses, and if you ever need more than that, they can be, umm, "procured" from the movie theater!

I don't know much about the specifics of it, but I'm happy with it, so far.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #3

We will be looking for a new tv in the near future and below are the features we would like to have:

- 55 inches or so (cannot fit much larger)

- LED with 120 hz or preferably 240hz

At this time, not interested in 3D. I have put those 3D glasses on in the store and get a little dizzy after awhile.

Regarding the size of the screen, there are guidelines as respects the sitting distance from screen vs. screen size. One can google these guidelines. Experts point out you should always buy a screen per these guidelines - never smaller.

Good place to purchase include Newegg, Tigerdirect
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We bought a TV a year ago. The one thing that was a surprise to us was that we could actually buy a TV that had a Wifi connection built into it and could access netflix and hulu and youtube, etc. We watch a lot of netflix and hulu so this was a nice feature.

Also the TV was extremely thin and the front was entirely flat with rim along the edge. We liked that as well.

I bought mine at Best Buy actually (it was a Sony Bravia). The online price at Best Buy was less than the in the store price and I asked for and received the online price (at the time you had to ask though to get it). WE checked other places online and the Best Buy one was comparable.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The choices in TV's these days and the features available on them is nothing short of overwhelming. Good luck on narrowing down your selection, but you probably won't go wrong with whatever you choose.

BTW, Consumer Reports says both picture quality and reliability for TV's today is very good. The lowest scoring brands when it comes to reliability are Westinghouse, Phillips and Samsung. We have way too many TV's in the house and RV (Vizio, Samsung, & Sharp) and the only set we've had problems with is the Samsung.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #6

I'm just waiting for our Sony Trinitron to blow up... 11 years old. Come on you d*mn machine.. ha

Did a lot of reading about this last year.. LED seems definitely the way to go, in terms of image quality, life expectancy, power usage and price. Unless you start wanting a HUGE screen (60"+), in which case go for rear projection.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
gone traveling

We just replaced a ~50" rear projection with a 47" Vizio LED with built-in wifi and 3D capable, so far very impressed with it. We bought it at SAM's for about $600 and thought it looked enormous on the cart as we were leaving, then a someone was pushing out a cart with a 60" that made ours look puny. We don't have 3D available with our cable but will be picking up a 3D BluRay player after Christmas The 3D displaying at SAM's did look great and will rent 3D movies for the grand kids. The LED was estimated at about $6 per year energy use for 4 hours use a day if I remember correctly. We also have Amazon prime that we use the wifi to access and it is for the most part seamless. May also pickup the Vizio sound bar but are waiting for a little more price drop, although the sound is certainly acceptable and may forgo it.
painterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I guess the problem with 3-D is finding something to watch. My present 60" Samsung plasma TV has 3-D, but to me it is just a gimmick. I would have to buy a blu-ray player, a 3D movie to watch on it, and the 3D glasses, which would all amount to several hundred dollars for the experience and I am not willing to do it. My TV has lots of other good attributes, which is why I bought it in the first place.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Who'da thunk?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #9

Who'da thunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterbill View Post
The LED was estimated at about $6 per year energy use for 4 hours use a day if I remember correctly.
I'm only about halfway through CR's article Top TV Ratings | TV Buying Guide (I was overwhelmed by page 2, and haven't even looked at all the associated linked articles) but just read this paragraph:
Quote:
TVs and cable and satellite converter boxes now must use at least 40 percent less energy than comparable models to be branded Energy Star compliant. The new regulations also address "vampire power" issues--devices that draw electricity even when set to "off" or "standby." New Energy Star-compliant cable and satellite boxes must have a "deep sleep" mode, dropping energy consumption from about 16 watts to 2 watts or less. The EPA estimates that if all TVs and set-top boxes in the U.S. met these new standards, consumers would save more than $5 billion in energy costs annually, and the reductions in greenhouse gas emissions from power plants would be equal to taking 7 million cars off the road.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I guess the problem with 3-D is finding something to watch. My present 60" Samsung plasma TV has 3-D, but to me it is just a gimmick. I would have to buy a blu-ray player, a 3D movie to watch on it, and the 3D glasses, which would all amount to several hundred dollars for the experience and I am not willing to do it. My TV has lots of other good attributes, which is why I bought it in the first place.

I do not have 3D, so can not comment on how good or bad it is....

But, I just read an article that had it listed as one of the bust for electronics for 2012.... IOW, a gimmick for now.... they also said that there will be less content going forward as the studios are not supporting it at this time...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #11

Have you got a link for that article? Everything I've read (including last month's CR article above) says just the opposite.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'd go with an LED Smart TV, whatever size makes sense for you - ours our 40" & 32" Sony Bravias, but most people want bigger it seems, unless you watch with a crowd of people just sit a foot closer. Don't know what to make of 3D, very limited availability, but that was the case with HD a few years ago and now almost everything is available in HD. The only think you can bet on is no matter what you buy, it will seem ancient (if not expensive) in a year or two...nothing you can do about that.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie
I'm just waiting for our Sony Trinitron to blow up... 11 years old. Come on you d*mn machine.. ha

Did a lot of reading about this last year.. LED seems definitely the way to go, in terms of image quality, life expectancy, power usage and price. Unless you start wanting a HUGE screen (60"+), in which case go for rear projection.
Just because you want it to blow up, will ensure the fact that it will probably go another 10 years. I gave up on mine quitting about 3 years ago. I have a 55 in panasonic plasma and got it specifically for sports, but it is in my dungeon man cave so there is no glare issues. Now I am waiting for my projection tv to die upstairs so I can get a 60 in LED myself. As far as 3D goes.. I have in the last year been forced to wear glasses to read. I refuse to do so when watching TV.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
Have you got a link for that article? Everything I've read (including last month's CR article above) says just the opposite.
Nope... I was just clicking on different headlines here and there and ran across the article...

They did say that a lot of 3D TVs were being sold, just that it was not for the 3D entertainment...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I have a nice 47" Vizio that we have been very happy with but that we bought before smart wi-fi HDTVs were prevalent. Any idea as to how I can add wi-fi internet access to an older HDTV.

Are Apple TV, Roku, Vizio Co-Star, etc my only options? Anyone done this and been happy with the result?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Are Apple TV, Roku, Vizio Co-Star, etc my only options? Anyone done this and been happy with the result?
Roku requires personal info just to activate the device, including a credit card to bill in case you happen to select a pay-per-view item. The Sony brand we have did not have such a requirement, and we're happy with its performance.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a nice 47" Vizio that we have been very happy with but that we bought before smart wi-fi HDTVs were prevalent. Any idea as to how I can add wi-fi internet access to an older HDTV.

Before we got our Sony with wifi in it we used Apple TV, Wii and PS3 for this. The Wii and PS3 we already had so there was no added cost. The Apple TV worked well and is particularly good for those who use Apple devices.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My HDTVs are a few years old and do not have those features. Just two days ago, I went to Best Buy and saw this Sony blu-ray player that had WiFi built-in.

So, I bought it for $90, with the intention of using it to access video and audio files that I stored on a DLNA home server. Turned out that it could also access the Web (via my WiFi router) and play movies on Netflix (which I do not have an account), Hulu, and also Youtube among several other sites which I do not recognize. I have been watching some Youtube video clips with it. Yes, all those music videos that posters linked to on this forum.

Same as with any media player, entering the search title is a pain via the remote control. You can plug a USB keyboard into the player, or use a smart phone as a remote keypad. It might be possible to use an iPad too, I imagine. However, I do not have any iThing to test.

Happy with it so far.

PS. I use my PC to set up playlists in my Youtube account. Then, by logging in to the account with the blu-ray player, I could just select a playlist to play music videos.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
As far as 3D goes.. I have in the last year been forced to wear glasses to read. I refuse to do so when watching TV.
I felt the same way when I had to get glasses to read a few years back. I was going to just get reading glasses, but after getting an eye exam, learned I have a slight astigmatism (and the exact same HD TV as my optometrist). I wound up getting bifocals for reading and watching HD TV, which benefits I was missing out on due to the astigmatism and didn't even know it.

I don't really care about 3D TV at this time, but as the article states, the better sets may all have it anyway, so we'll make sure the (whichever kind of) glasses are piggybackable over what we're wearing now.

FWIW, for our viewing habits/requirements, based on the CR article, DW & I are both leaning toward plasma.

Tyro
Old 12-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

We have 2 plasmas. A 40-something inch and a 50 inch. Both were dirt cheap ($400 for the smaller and $475 for the bigger). Great pic quality on low end devices.