Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Current Weather and Global Warming
Old 01-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Current Weather and Global Warming

Here is a blog from an experienced meteorologist about the current cold wave. The writer objects to the idea that it confirms global climate change or proves that there is no global warming.

Quote:
It is SO frustrating that every major weather event causes such claims and counterclaims to be aired, with many media outlets unable to do the minimal research that would allow them to give the public more dependable information.
All this bogus reporting has done substantial damage, with many American's believing that global warming is already causing our weather to become more extreme, while the observational evidence suggests no such thing.
The entry I am referring to is dated Monday, January 6, 2014.

Cliff Mass Weather Blog

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I predict the snow pig will be the final post on this thread.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Weather is what happened the past week. Climate is what happened the past century.

Some people may not have been expecting winter. (Particularly one group of professional news readers...) It appears to happen every year, though.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

NB4 Porky...

Weather <> Climate

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 01-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Why? Is not a discussion of how the media and others do not do their homework before reporting things, worth some time? Isn't this one of the more important points of this scientist's blog? How the public, led by the media and others, jump to conclusions, and avoid looking at the science behind what is happening.

There are many topics here that I don't find interesting, think have been discussed more than enough, or just find inappropriate. I simply avoid them.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I agree.

When I was in college, man made global cooling was going to have Scandanavia covered with glaciers by the year 2000. The people pushing this were looking for the developed world to stop CO2 emissions and compensate the poorer countries of the world for the damages they were going to see from this change. Somehow, no plans seemed to exist for where all the Scandanavians were supposed to flee to. At the time I would have been happy to take in 3 or 4 good looking Swedish girls.

Cooling stopped and without missing a beat the same people (led by Dr James Hansen of NASA) switched to man made global warming. The cause and objectives are the same. I can't help but be skeptical. One big difference is I am not able to to take in the good looking Swedish girls.

Unfortunately, it has really degenerated into a combination of politics and professional reputations. Enough climate scientists have totally signed on to global warming and climate study grants from governments have effectively shutout any that haven't. No warming for over a decade, warming models totally off and other predictions sorely missed have not changed much for the true believers.

I have a hard time supporting anyone that asserts anything in science is "settled." "Settled science" once proclaimed that the earth used to be the center of the universe, there were only 4 elements, life could spontaneously appear, ether filled the space between the planets, intelligence was primarily determined by race and many others I'll not list.

Today's weather isn't climate. A hot day in the summer doesn't prove anything. A cold winter storm doesn't either. I have a hard time believing that any true climate shift can be "proven" in less than 3 or 4 decades. As to whether it is man made or not would take IMHO far longer.

P.S.

I work in the energy business and there are many regulations being implemented by our loving and caring EPA to measure and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The definition of what constitutes a greenhouse gas has changed a bit over time but it is pretty much whatever the EPA says. This costs the consumers in the US significant money by requiring less efficient processes or added capital expenses. I've looked at the concept of "zero emission" natural gas power plants and this would at least double the cost of electricity.

I have been involved in non-USA projects, carbon capture projects have been justified in third world countries entirely on the basis of selling the carbon credits to Europe that requires these which can be taken anywhere in the world. When the carbon credit market fell apart, these same countries dropped the carbon capture projects completely or just the carbon capture part of other industrial projects. The third world countries don't give a rats behind for reducing greenhouse gases.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Why? Is not a discussion of how the media and others do not do their homework before reporting things, worth some time? Isn't this one of the more important points of this scientist's blog? How the public, led by the media and others, jump to conclusions, and avoid looking at the science behind what is happening.
Sigh...

Of course it is. Unfortunately forum history tells us it won't continue to be that discussion for more than a few posts, then political opinion will worm its way into the thread, taking it in an entirely different direction. Cue the pig...
Old 01-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

For breakfast, I'll have toast, scrambled eggs and bacon.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I hear the Big Asteroid is on its way....I'll bet that will change the weather for a while (say 200 million years?)

I wonder if the dinosaurs worried about the last one?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The pig enters the picture far too often imo. Except when its on my plate.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

For this weather event it was interesting reading about how the polar jet streams keep cold air over the poles (I already knew this part) but that occasionally one of the "wobbles" can get cut off from the rest of the cold air mass and then move down south to blast us.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #12

Chuckanut, did I tell you?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #13
Administrator

Folks this thread has been closed after posts containing politically charged content were removed.

Stay warm, everyone!

Closed Thread

Tags
cliff weather blog